nerdmann
10 years ago

I would make the argument that the Packers are currently a dynasty. 5 straight years in the playoffs, including a Super Bowl Championship. Best record in the league in 2011. MVP still in his prime.

In today's salary capped league, that's about as good as you can hope for a dynasty. Another year in playoffs and another Super Bowl (2015!) and it's not even arguable. In my opinion.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Gotta win at least TWO to be a dynasty.

Just one, and you're a fart in the wind.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

I would make the argument that the Packers are currently a dynasty. 5 straight years in the playoffs, including a Super Bowl Championship. Best record in the league in 2011. MVP still in his prime.

In today's salary capped league, that's about as good as you can hope for a dynasty. Another year in playoffs and another Super Bowl (2015!) and it's not even arguable. In my opinion.

When Mike McCarthy's team gets 3 Superbowl wins, then I would consider the Packers a dynasty. I really believe that is what it would take, that magic number of 3 or more.

Making the playoffs however many years is all well and good, but the only measure of "dynasty" is SB wins IMO. Anything less than winning the whole enchilada just doesn't fit the equation.

The Packers were a dynasty. The Steelers were. The 49ers were. The Cowboys were. The Patriots were. The Packers could have been and should have been again in the Holmgren years, extending to the Sherman years. Never happened though. The Steelers came close to having another dynasty, but they won just the two with Roethlesburger. That's my line of thinking on dynasties. Giants almost got there and still might. Seattle looks primed for a dynasty run if they play their cards right.
10 years ago

If you quit 'sighing' and actually read, I believe I said that Seattle had the #26 pass OFFENSE. Since a phase of their game was bad, obviously they are not a good team and will be returning the Trophy.

News Flash- The NFL announced that they will no longer be seeding the playoffs based on record. They will instead pick the most balanced teams and include them in the playoffs, without regard for whether the teams actually won any games. Roger Goodell said " Obviously, by using actual wins and losses, great, blanced teams such as the Cowboys continually fail to reach the playoffs, while 1 dimensional teams such as Green Bay and Denver, do. In an effort to level the playing field, we will do away with records and focus on what teams feel best about themselves."

The 49ers had the #24 ranked total offense this year. Guess they weren't a good team at all.

There is more to an offense than passing. Seattle was ranked 7 in points per possession on offense. That is damn good. It doesn't matter how they score points as long as they are scoring points.

You and I must have a different definition of balanced. The cowboys are not a balanced team. They had a terrible defense.

2011 Packers

Offense: 2.85 points per possession good for 2nd in the league
Defense: 1.89 points per possession good for 23rd in the league.

2010 Packers

Offense:1.97 ranked 8th in the league
Defense: 1.24 ranked 2nd in the league

2013 Seahawks

Offense:2.12 ranked 7th
Defense: 1.17 ranked 1st

Not to mention that Steelers team the Packers played in the Super bowl in the 2010 had identical stats as the 2010 Packers.

UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

You and I must have a different definition of balanced. The cowboys are not a balanced team. They had a terrible defense.

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

Actually, the Cowboys are very balanced. They choke on both offense and defense!

My comment was meant as a criticism of the NFL making decisions to benefit the big market teams. It was not serious. Even the NFL respects the value of actually winning games.

For the final time: I am not arguing that the 2010 team was not good. I am saying that the 2011 team was better. Because they actually won games instead of posting stats. Ok. Their defense was not as good. But they won games. That is all that matters. Go to Vegas. They don't refund your bet if your team loses but it's stats are good. Wins matter.

2010 was reeling early in the year with injuries. Then they stabilized and started winning. It's infectious and they got on a roll. So if you ignore the first 2 months of the season, they were a great team. But you can't choose to ignore half the season.

Sentimentally, the 2010 season was great. It was probably my favorite. That team overcame a lot and their late season run was amazing. But you can't lose 6 games and be a great team.

I'm done.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

The Packers ARE a dynasty or close to it anyway by staying so close to the top for so long.

We got hurt by injuries and other forms of bad luck, and we have a GM who has not done what it takes to make the team even better, but we have the greatest QB possibly in NFL history - following a decade and a half of having arguably the greatest in history until Rodgers came along. That alone is dynastic. If we had just added a little bit more - which was well within the team's financial ability to do, we coulda/woulda/shoulda won a lot more SBs.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

If they cracked Manning's hand signals code through diligent film study, more power to them.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

This is true, but it would make them look "more talented" than they are.

Fuck them. Overrated.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Dynasties don't merely make the playoffs. They contend for titles for multiple years. They win substantially more playoff games than they lose.

One-and-done is the sign of a reasonably good team. It is not the sign of a dynasty.

The current Packers team doesn't qualify. And merely making the playoffs for one game next year wont make them a dynasty either.

IMNSHO.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago

Dynasties don't merely make the playoffs. They contend for titles for multiple years. They win substantially more playoff games than they lose.

One-and-done is the sign of a reasonably good team. It is not the sign of a dynasty.

The current Packers team doesn't qualify. And merely making the playoffs for one game next year wont make them a dynasty either.

IMNSHO.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

At least they weren't completely humiliated this year. lol
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.