wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

As a result of general manager Ted Thompson's long-standing draft-and-develop philosophy, the Green Bay Packers enter the off-season in a different fraternity from the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints.

The Packers' roommates are teams like the Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins.

Those are not exactly the teams you want to be grouped with during the regular season, but in the off-season being housemates with such a conspicuous bunch of also-rans is what you might consider a feather in your cap.

It is especially so if you have one of the best quarterbacks in the game signed to a long-term deal, a ton of offensive talent and three consecutive division titles in the bank because it means you didn't earn the salary cap room by being one of the worst teams in the NFL.

What the Packers have in common with those bottom dwellers is that they are among the leaders in salary cap space heading into the 2014 season.

JSOnline  wrote:

Been through this before. It don't matter what we say or think. Uncle Teddy is too afraid to get quality FAs. He doesn't have the skill or the confidence to go that route.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

So while they have lots of cap space, maybe their passivity in free agency is a reason the Packers have not risen to the top of the NFC since winning Super Bowl XLV — something they did with the help of two key free agents, Charles Woodson and Pickett.

The Packers have been able to stay in the hunt every year, but they have not taken the chances the others have to get to the very top.

Tom continues wrote:

UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Boy, those two excerpts tell the entire story. Great, we're in decent cap shape. Last I heard, no one gives out Lombardi Trophies for that…

I'm confident that Ted can do it, find the right Free Agent player(s) to help get us back on top. It is just a question of if and when. What we have seen, and I believe he has seen, is strict adherence to D&D inhibits the building of a true championship contending team. I am hoping he sees this anyhow, and that he acts on it to make our team better by making some philosophical changes to his approach in building out the 2014 team.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Been through this before. It don't matter what we say or think. Uncle Teddy is too afraid to get quality FAs. He doesn't have the skill or the confidence to go that route.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This is a BS comment. First, he isn't Uncle Teddy. Secondly Ted Thompson is not afraid to get quality free agents. Thompson merely refuses to OVERSPEND for ANY free agent. There is a massively vast difference there. I think Thompson goes on vacation the first week of free agency just to avoid temptation. That is speculative of course.

The player has to fit the Packers scheme.
The player has to be willing to play for the Packers.

This isn't just a Ted Thompson thing. There are many moving pieces and to blindly say Thompson, err Teddy is afraid to get quality free agents is just obtuse.

One of the things many fans love about the Packers is the blue collar aspect. The small town aspect. The historical aspect. Even the cold aspect. Well, most of those things work AGAINST the Packers in landing free agents. Not to mention the Packers do not have a deep pocketed owner who can afford to spend $100 million on someone like Albert Haynesworth and have it be a complete bust. If the Packers did this, it would set them back nearly five years if not more!

Again, what free agents were available that the Packers should have signed for their contract? No one ever has a legit answer to this, yet we all run around saying "sign free agents".

Shit on that! Learn to coach up the damn players drafted. Do your damn 'draft and develop' gooder, especially the friggin develop part! How long we gonna wait for many of these guys to finally develop?

btw, please sign Jarius Byrd and Brian Orakpo, k thanks Auntie Theodore.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
I always put my FA wish lists out there… and, they get dashed through a very long, arduous process of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until they are all signed by other teams. Happens every year since 2007.
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago
Example #1 for why Ted's way is better.

2013 offseason. Many Packer fans are screaming for Ted to sign Steven Jackson to solve running game. Ted drafts Eddie Lacy to draft and develop philosophy.

Falcons now have a broken down RB for $12M over 3 years. Packers have Eddie at $4M for 4 years. Jackson 734 yards and 7 TD's, Lacy 1435 yards and 11 TD's.

Winner?

QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Boy, those two excerpts tell the entire story. Great, we're in decent cap shape. Last I heard, no one gives out Lombardi Trophies for that…

Originally Posted by: play2win 

According to one estimate on cap space, the 5 teams with the least Cap space heading into 2014 are:
Cowboys
Saints
Steelers
Lions
Chargers

How many Trophies have these teams won in the last couple years?
nerdmann
10 years ago
We all know it was injuries that killed us this year. Again.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
JSOnline wrote:
As a result of general manager Ted Thompson's long-standing draft-and-develop philosophy, the Green Bay Packers enter the off-season in a different fraternity from the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints.

The Packers' roommates are teams like the Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins.

Those are not exactly the teams you want to be grouped with during the regular season, but in the off-season being housemates with such a conspicuous bunch of also-rans is what you might consider a feather in your cap.

It is especially so if you have one of the best quarterbacks in the game signed to a long-term deal, a ton of offensive talent and three consecutive division titles in the bank because it means you didn't earn the salary cap room by being one of the worst teams in the NFL.

What the Packers have in common with those bottom dwellers is that they are among the leaders in salary cap space heading into the 2014 season.

WHY are we not as bad as those "roommates"? One reason: Aaron Rodgers. When he was out, we were exposed for being just that bad.

Nobody is saying we should have signed Haynesworth or Steven Jackson, etc. - I sure as hell wasn't saying it at the time. Thompson is correct not to go hog wild in free agency, but he is wrong to be as hyper-cautious as he has been. The Packers are NEAR the top of the NFL - mainly because of Aaron Rodgers. However, they could be a LOT better team with just a few strategic free agent signings - Safety this year being prime among those - Jarius Byrd or T.J. Ward. Another alternative would be to sign Alterraun Verner and convert Hayward or Tramon Williams to Safety. I'm not even sure we should go after a LB - particularly not Orakpo, who would be the most expensive and has had injury problems. The Steeler guy is younger and probably a lot cheaper, and maybe better. For that matter, we probably could handle LB through the draft.

It doesn't take much; Thompson just needs to get off his ass and make it happen.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

Example #1 for why Ted's way is better.

2013 offseason. Many Packer fans are screaming for Ted to sign Steven Jackson to solve running game. Ted drafts Eddie Lacy to draft and develop philosophy.

Falcons now have a broken down RB for $12M over 3 years. Packers have Eddie at $4M for 4 years. Jackson 734 yards and 7 TD's, Lacy 1435 yards and 11 TD's.

Winner?

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Was it luck that brought Lacy to us at pick #61? I kind of think so. That was a fantastic pick and a great turn for our team. We needed a legit power RB, a feature RB. But, Lacy literally fell into our laps, much like Rodgers did in 2005.

I'm not saying we should be blowing huge sums of money on anybody. I'm merely stating that there is a balance that should exist on any team in adding both young talent via the draft, and experienced, effective veteran talent via FA and trades. Personally, I think we've thrown ourselves off balance by sticking to D&D as our sole means of talent acquisition. And, it clearly shows.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.