Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mucky Tundra  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:04:03 PM(UTC)
KFFL said:
Bill Baldini, agent for free-agent C Greg Van Roten (Packers), said the Green Bay Packers ...

Hmm

JC Tretter 6'4" 307
EDS 6'2" 308
TJ Lang 6'4" 318

Personal info found here
mi_keys  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:06:43 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra said: Go to Quoted Post

Hopefully meaner too.
DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:31:29 PM(UTC)
Alex Mack is pretty good.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:07:55 PM(UTC)
I think Tretter is going to be given every opportunity to win that job. But, I wouldn't mind seeing Lang at center, Bacteria at RG. I'm taking a big leap in thinking that Sherrod and Bulaga will be taking their rightful places at Left and Right Tackles.
nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:09:29 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
I think Tretter is going to be given every opportunity to win that job. But, I wouldn't mind seeing Lang at center, Bacteria at RG. I'm taking a big leap in thinking that Sherrod and Bulaga will be taking their rightful places at Left and Right Tackles.

They want Tretter to step up there. But then again they wanted BJ Coleman to step up too. And Jerrod McMillian. lol
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:23:40 PM(UTC)
I'm less concerned about the O'line that year's past mostly because we have more of a train wreck on the defensive side of the ball. A pedestrian o-line that still yields a top ten offense every year can't be that horrible can it? We have 1 stud on the o-line and serviceable players at all the other positions. At least we no longer have guys starting named Newhouse, Whittaker, or Babre.
PackFanWithTwins  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:29:02 PM(UTC)
Sounds good to me. I've been hoping to increase size. Doing so should help with run blocking for lacy.

EDS is to limited, he has already put on lbs to get where he is at. Tretter has room to add some good weight.
nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:29:48 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm less concerned about the O'line that year's past mostly because we have more of a train wreck on the defensive side of the ball. A pedestrian o-line that still yields a top ten offense every year can't be that horrible can it? We have 1 stud on the o-line and serviceable players at all the other positions. At least we no longer have guys starting named Newhouse, Whittaker, or Babre.

I like our Oline. I think they can play.
beast  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:14:22 PM(UTC)
Bill Baldini, agent for free-agent C Greg Van Roten said:

The Green Bay Packers released Van Roten because they are looking to get bigger at the center position.

Right and the fact he played only 10 of 32 games has NOTHING to do with it... I got you message Bill =;

Anyways I stop expect them to give Tretter the job, after all he was riding the bench. Though they might have him pegged as a back-up at Center for the future. But D-Smith, Lang or Barclay will most likely be the starting Center going into camp.
beast  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:15:31 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
I like our Oline. I think they can play.

I like me...and I think I can play.

I don't think I can play very well for the NFL level but that's a different story Tongue
sschind  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:23:08 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
Right and the fact he played only 10 of 32 games has NOTHING to do with it... I got you message Bill =;

Anyways I stop expect them to give Tretter the job, after all he was riding the bench. Though they might have him pegged as a back-up at Center for the future. But D-Smith, Lang or Barclay will most likely be the starting Center going into camp.

The only thing I don't like about Lang as center is the shuffling of the line again. I get that with people coming back from injuries (hopefully) that this will happen and if it results in the best people at the best position then I'm all for it. Its just that if Lang is our center and our top backup at guard if a guard goes down you move Lang and put in the backup center. one injury affects 2 positions. I'd like a line where our number 1 backup at any position is not a starter at any other.
nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:49:10 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
The only thing I don't like about Lang as center is the shuffling of the line again. I get that with people coming back from injuries (hopefully) that this will happen and if it results in the best people at the best position then I'm all for it. Its just that if Lang is our center and our top backup at guard if a guard goes down you move Lang and put in the backup center. one injury affects 2 positions. I'd like a line where our number 1 backup at any position is not a starter at any other.

Lang is very good at G. If we move him to C, he's not as good there. Then we also have someone lesser at G.
steveishere  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:11:38 PM(UTC)
Lang is not as good of a C as EDS though so that wouldn't make sense. I get it if you want to get bigger for the sake of getting better but it's stupid to get bigger for the sake of getting bigger.

EDS was more than serviceable as a C this year so they better have someone good lined up if they are gonna let him walk.
sschind  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:46:46 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Lang is very good at G. If we move him to C, he's not as good there. Then we also have someone lesser at G.

Actually you are right. I said the only thing I don't like about Lang at center is shuffling the line but another thing I don't like is what you said. Leave Lang at guard where is not bad. If you want a better center go out and get one, don't cannibalize your own line.

DoddPower  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:23:46 PM(UTC)
I've always thought EDS is nothing more than a serviceable center. Perhaps average, at best. The Packers just can't be content with several average at best players. They have to do better if they ever expect to be anything more than a "good" team. I'm not saying they are content, but I certainly hope they will explore all options to upgrade the center position, among others.
GermanGilbert  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:41:14 PM(UTC)
Does anyone remember the epic collapse of the OLine when EDS left the Thanksgiving game and Lang took over at C? No, I don't want to see this again.

Of course that was not all on Lang, the complete shift of personnel, Newhouse at LT and no practice snap in this formation didn't help as well. But overall Lang was way better at G than at C. If you think EDS is not servicable enough, bring someone in, but don't switch Lang to a position where he's worse and open a new hole at another position.
DoddPower  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:43:15 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert said: Go to Quoted Post
Of course that was not all on Lang, the complete shift of personnel, Newhouse at LT and no practice snap in this formation didn't help as well. But overall Lang was way better at G than at C. If you think EDS is not servicable enough, bring someone in, but don't switch Lang to a position where he's worse and open a new hole at another position.

I agree. Don't move Lang. Just try to upgrade the center position otherwise.
Bigbyfan  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:31:08 PM(UTC)
I'm not sure why everyone is so down on EDS at center. He is ranked as one of the best pass blocking centers in the league. ProFootballFocus even had him ranked as the 8th best center in the league last season.

This team has a few needs that need to be fixed this offseason. Center is not one of them.
GermanGilbert  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:40:48 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
This team has a few needs that need to be fixed this offseason. Center is not one of them.

With EDS being FA Center is a huge need to be fixed. Either with EDS himself or with someone else.

buckeyepackfan  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:17:06 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure why everyone is so down on EDS at center. He is ranked as one of the best pass blocking centers in the league. ProFootballFocus even had him ranked as the 8th best center in the league last season.

Agree, the problem being, he is a FA this year, is there enough money to sign him?

T.J Lang is due 5.1 mil this year, Josh Sitton 6.4 mil.

How much money can a team invest in the o-line?

The Packers usually keep 8 lineman on the 53 man roster, 7 are usually active on gameday.

Bulaga 3.8 mil , Sherrard 2.1mil, Bahktiari .61mil, Barclay .57mil, Lane Taylor .50 mil, and J. C Tretter .59 mil

There's also Geirhart, Coleman, Adams, Tiller, and Vujnovich who are pretty much irrelevant at this point.(for this discussion)

The Packers have 19.58mil invested in the line for 2014(top 8).

Tretter who is being talked about as maybe the future C can go on the PS if Ted decides to resign EDS.
I guess there are 3 easy options right now.
1.Sign EDS(if possible) and stash Tretter on the PS
2.Sign EDS keep Tretter on 53 man roster and let a Lane Taylor or Derrick Sherrard go.
3. Let EDS go and trust that Tretter can become the starter at C for The Packers.

I prefer option #1.

Would be great if The Packers could have these guys battle it out in Training Camp, but that's not an option at C, Ted has to make a decision on EDS.

Ted decides to sign EDS, HE IS THE STARTER, there is no camp battle.
Rss Feed