MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago
Early April Fools?

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
If it is going to happen, it is about time to do it. Only a couple year window before Rodgers and Matthews contract will be looked at again and when Lacy will be ready for a contract also.

Grab FA and spend money, and draft youth to develop behind them.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
yeah yeah yeah. We shall see.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
Uh huh.

I'll believe it when I see it.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

March signals the start of free agency across the NFL. For everyone except the Green Bay Packers that is. While the rest of the league traditionally dabbles in the free agent process by courting players from other teams, the Packers, under general manager Ted Thompson, have traditionally stood watch from the sidelines. But with money...

Curtis Crabtree  wrote:

Unless Ted is planning on completely cleaning house of all The Packers UrFA's, I just don't see where there is much money to be spent elsewhere.

"While the Packers will have decisions to make on defensive tackle B.J. Raji, nose tackle Ryan Pickett, tight end Jermichael Finley and center Evan Dietrich-Smith among others, the Packers will still likely have enough room to pursue other players outside their organization."

Of The four players the writer listed, EDS is the only one I expect back that would cost significant money, Pickett will come back at a very low cost or he will go elsewhere.

Raji and Finley will be offered more money elsewhere and will probably be gone, but that still leaves Shields, Jolly, Wilson, Neal, Francois, Lattimore, Jennings and Banjo on the defensive side....Quarless, Flynn, Kuhn, Jones, and Starks on offense.

I don't expect all of them back, but Shields alone is going to take up anywhere from 6-9 mil(depending on source), then there is the money for signing the rookies, plus Ted has always kept money in reserve for injury emergencies.

This FA talk, imho, still starts with what The Packers do with Tramon Williams, he is the one guy who's contract can be reworked, adding significant money to use this year in FA.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
musccy
10 years ago

Unless Ted is planning on completely cleaning house of all The Packers UrFA's, I just don't see where there is much money to be spent elsewhere.

This FA talk, imho, still starts with what The Packers do with Tramon Williams, he is the one guy who's contract can be reworked, adding significant money to use this year in FA.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

You said everything I was about to write after reading the initial post. If and only if Tramon is willing to restructure do I see any real movements in FA, and as had been said before in other threads, it takes two to tango. The Packers pursued FAs in the past, e.g. Steven Jackson, but he opted not to come to the Packers.

Yerko
10 years ago
The article that was also written off this said "up to five outside free agents" which then made me stop reading the entire thing because seriously, do they REALLY think Ted Thompson is going to go after five outside (of the Packers) free agents? C'mon now...

Article, if interested. 

If anything, I hope the Packers do dabble in outside free agency and sign at least one big player. While I found the news extremely unrealistic, it played with my mind a bit thinking about who the Packers could pick up. Three names come to my mind immediately.

Top 2
Brian Orakpo- Imagine the possible pass rush he brings opposite side Clay Matthews. He's strong, athletic and also rushes strong side. This pick up would give Capers the versatility the Packers have been speaking about the past week or so. The reason safety is not my #1 is because I think this is a strong draft for safeties.

T.J. Ward- Young safety looking for a payday. Supposedly he wants to stay in Cleveland though (at least someone does?). This would shore up the defensive backfield a bit and pairing him with Burnett might just help Burnett's game as they play together. No more second-third rate safeties, please.

Others
Henry Melton- Torn ACL, recent public intoxication/assault arrest and already once franchise tagged by the Bears, there's a good chance he might not be back with the Bears and might not be too costly. He's a risk but he is a disruptive (and bigger) defensive lineman. Something the Packers can use for their pass rush.

Jason Worilds- He's looking for a starting gig and the Steelers can't promise him that. Aside from Clay Matthews, Worilds could most likely out-perform anyone else at OLB on the Packers roster. Would be on the cheaper end of FA-OLBs.

I know all this is a stretch, but since it is being put out there by the media outside of Green Bay it doesn't hurt to talk about it.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
I still doubt being "active participants" in FA meas big names and big $$. I could see them adding more substantial players than usual though if not the guys like Byrd or Orakpo.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

If it is going to happen, it is about time to do it. Only a couple year window before Rodgers and Matthews contract will be looked at again and when Lacy will be ready for a contract also.

Grab FA and spend money, and draft youth to develop behind them.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

What SHOULD happen and what WILL happen may be two very different things. I agree with you completely, but it would take a drastic departure from the Ted Thompson way.

The post(s) above I have the biggest quarrel with are those saying we somehow CAN'T - we can't get one or two quality free agents and still re-sign the guys we need to keep? COME ON! First of all, if other teams can do it, certainly the Packers can. More importantly, though, there is creative financing to stay within the cap. I see no reason why we can't, for example, save $6 million plus cap money by extending/restructuring Tramon Williams - and I mean without degrading him by forcing him to take a worse deal to avoid being cut. Lang and Sitton should be similar situations. Nelson and later Cobb should be signable with big back-loaded contracts. If I and other posters can calculate cap-friendly deals, certainly Thompson and his gang can do that - IF they are disposed to try.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DakotaT
10 years ago

What SHOULD happen and what WILL happen may be two very different things. I agree with you completely, but it would take a drastic departure from the Ted Thompson way.

The post(s) above I have the biggest quarrel with are those saying we somehow CAN'T - we can't get one or two quality free agents and still re-sign the guys we need to keep? COME ON! First of all, if other teams can do it, certainly the Packers can. More importantly, though, there is creative financing to stay within the cap. I see no reason why we can't, for example, save $6 million plus cap money by extending/restructuring Tramon Williams - and I mean without degrading him by forcing him to take a worse deal to avoid being cut. Lang and Sitton should be similar situations. Nelson and later Cobb should be signable with big back-loaded contracts. If I and other posters can calculate cap-friendly deals, certainly Thompson and his gang can do that - IF they are disposed to try.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Yeah, yeah - you're the clown that thinks a person can live like a king on $1,200 a month. 🙄 I say Matthews is the guy that should be taking a pay cut. What do we get about 12 games a year out of him. Tramon can just play out the contract he has and hopefully Hayward will be ready to take over by then.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.