MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Maybe Matt Flynn will be able to find an opportunity to start elsewhere. But as much as he helped save the Green Bay Packers' season, that's no sure thing.

If he doesn't, the guy who'd be his new quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, Alex Van Pelt, would love to have the unrestricted free agent back as Aaron Rodgers' backup.

Although the Packers like the potential of Scott Tolzien, who is under contract for 2014 and started two games after injuries to Rodgers and veteran Seneca Wallace, Van Pelt — a former backup quarterback in the NFL himself — really liked what he saw from Flynn, who went 2-2 as the starter and had four fourth-quarter rallies in the five games he played.

Flynn rallied the Packers to a 26-26 tie with Minnesota in relief of Tolzien on Nov. 17; engineered come-from-behind one-point victories over Atlanta on Dec. 8 and Dallas on Dec. 15, and also had a fourth-quarter comeback in a loss to Pittsburgh on Dec. 22. He started the season with the Oakland Raiders but was cut Oct. 7, then spent a month with the Buffalo Bills before he was released just in time for the Packers to sign him following Rodgers' collarbone injury.

"I think Matt has a great track record. He's been successful in this system. His understanding of the system is huge," said Van Pelt, who has shifted from running backs coach to quarterbacks coach following Ben McAdoo's departure to become the New York Giants' offensive coordinator last month. "It's very tough to operate as a quarterback in this system with all the flexibility you have to be able to change plays at the line of scrimmage. Having an understanding of the system is huge for him.

"The way he fits in the locker room, especially in the quarterback room. The things he does to get Aaron ready to play on Sundays are little things that are hidden sometimes when you're looking at guys. So I'm excited to hopefully get him back in there."

Flynn, who said he would be open to returning in a late-season interview , completed 102 of 166 passes (61.4 percent) for 1,146 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions (86.1 passer rating) in four-plus games. His greatest moment came against the Cowboys, the team he'd grown up watching, as he matched the biggest comeback in franchise history by completing 26 of 39 passes for 299 yards with four TDs and one INT (113.1) to keep the Packers' playoff hopes afloat with a rally from a 26-3 halftime deficit.

Tolzien, meanwhile, was 55 of 90 (61.1 percent) for 717 yards with one touchdown and five interceptions (66.8 rating) and should benefit from an offseason in quarterback school after joining the Packers the week of the regular-season opener after two years in San Francisco.

"I think thought Scott did an exceptional job getting thrown into the mix like he was. He showed some toughness," Van Pelt said. "His ability to lead in the huddle, things like that — that are once again kind of hidden from everybody else — to see how he conducted himself in an adverse situation was positive. I think he also has a skillset where he could be successful. I'm excited once again to get back in that room and get to talking football."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I'd rather have Tolzien with a full off-season and preseason. It seemed like he could throw better and run better than Flynn. He also should be cheaper.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

I'd rather have Tolzien with a full off-season and preseason. It seemed like he could throw better and run better than Flynn. He also should be cheaper.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Ditto.

Flynn did not seem like much of an improvement honestly. (1/2 of Dallas' game aside)

As good as he was then, he was equally worse in the 1st half... And the lions game... Uck.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
steveishere
10 years ago
As ugly as Flynn looked at times we did basically go 2-2-1 with him. Despite physical limitations he can run an offense effectively most of the time. With more preparation perhaps Tolzien could but he didn't really show it in his opportunities, he showed he can throw a good ball but not that he could lead an offense. We don't get to see these guys preparation and whatnot so we don't know the potential of a guy like Tolzien but I personally would lean more toward a guy that's proven he can give you a chance if he has to start for a game here and there in Flynn.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I think we fans are going to see something that we didn't see until week 17 of last year.

3-QB's on the 53 man roster with one of them being inactive each week.

That is going to take a spot away from another position, but imho, it is well worth it.

Tolzien is pretty much a lock, unless he absolutely does a Graham Harrell at QB camp, if not Flynn(who would be my 1st choice), then look for The Packers to sign a veteran QB during FA.

I'm pretty sure Ted will find a rookie QB to be put on the PS for the season, actually there is a guy coming out of Ohio State, Kenny Guiton, 5yr senior, backup his last 2 years with plenty of starts due to injuries to Braxton Miller.

A whole lot of fans would have preferred Guiton over Miller as the starter.

He is a better passer than Miller, but Miller had all those intangibles that make a good college qb.

Guiton is just the type of player Mike McCarthy loves to bring in and school, would be a perfect fit in GB. Probably as an undrafted free agent.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago
I like them both.

Flynn is a guy who we can rely on to back up Aaron for the rest of his career.

Tolzien is a guy who could be better than Flynn but will likely want to get a shot to start somewhere. Could be the next Hasselbeck.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
El3ment12
10 years ago
Tolzien sure does throw a great ball.....to the other team.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I tend to agree with Buckeye, going with 3 QBs, one inactive each week would be smart. I would hope, however, Flynn would not be one of them - short of him generating absolutely no interest and coming back for a vet minimum contract. Even then, I would hope he was behind Tolzien, and I would prefer some prospect for the 3rd guy - Guyton is a reasonable suggestion, but there probably are a lot of others coming out this year too.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Tolzien sure does throw a great ball.....to the other team.

Originally Posted by: El3ment12 

Look at his stats throwing mid to deep. He looked very good.

PROBLEM: Mike's "polish football" philosophy kept him throwing short, which was so predictable that Jason Pierre Paul called out that play in the defensive huddle, before he pick six'd it.

I think Tolzien did great, under the circumstances. He's just gonna get better. From what I've read of him he's big on preparation, learning. He's not the type of guy to pull a BJ Coleman.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago

Look at his stats throwing mid to deep. He looked very good.

PROBLEM: Mike's "polish football" philosophy kept him throwing short, which was so predictable that Jason Pierre Paul called out that play in the defensive huddle, before he pick six'd it.

I think Tolzien did great, under the circumstances. He's just gonna get better. From what I've read of him he's big on preparation, learning. He's not the type of guy to pull a BJ Coleman.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

BJ Coleman was big on preparation and learning too. Tolzien threw pretty passes but he couldn't consistently and effectively run the offense like Flynn could. He may improve in that with the offseason but based on what he showed we really have no clue if he'll ever get it.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.