musccy
10 years ago

We can sit around and find the bad in any potential move and therefore not do it. Maybe it would be better for us to stay in our houses all day too.

No GM, HC or even player of any substance in any professional sport got to where they are by being afraid of the "what ifs."

The upside by going after a quality FA has more potential benefit than the downside.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The original question was whether you leverage some of next year's draft for a player you feel good about in the 2014 draft and the progression of my points was that no FA, trade, or draft pick, will guarantee you've filled a gap, and so I believe in Ted's cautious approach so you are prepared for contingency plans.

Non draft acquisitions seemed to work for the Chiefs with A. Smith, it worked with Woody, Reggie, Sean Jones, Eugene Robinson, and Pickett, but look what the Seahawks have gotten out of Harvin and Sidney Rice for 20 mil combined. I bet that's something they want to address this offseason, or at least bolster their WR depth.

Even if the Packers signed Byrd or any FA safety (which I'm not necessarily opposed to) it doesn't mean that we're in the clear, nor should we jeopardize future drafts for the sake of plugging a hole that we think is the last piece of the puzzle. It is inevitable that some other unforeseen gap will open up.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I believe our window is smaller than most people think.
We all saw in 2013 what life is like without Rodgers. He's no ironman and he is approaching the ripe old age of 30 and has been sacked way too many times.
If we get 5 more years of Rodgers at the top of his game I'll be surprised..
IMHO Ted needs to make some major moves now to elevate the defense if we want a couple more Lombardis during the Rodgers era.
Only one would be a shame.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Peyton Manning was 37 last season. Why would you expect any less than Rodgers?

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I don't want to put words into yoopers mouth (Oh hell, who am I kidding, if I didn't want to put words into his mouth why would say anything? I'd just let him come on here and explain it himself) I could be wrong but I don't think Manning took the pounding early in his career that Rodgers has. I think that is what he is referring to. Not that his skills won't hold up just that his body might not.

PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

I believe our window is smaller than most people think.
We all saw in 2013 what life is like without Rodgers. He's no ironman and he is approaching the ripe old age of 30 and has been sacked way too many times.
If we get 5 more years of Rodgers at the top of his game I'll be surprised..
IMHO Ted needs to make some major moves now to elevate the defense if we want a couple more Lombardis during the Rodgers era.
Only one would be a shame.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I also believe the window is smaller than some. Just not for the same reason. It is more about the cycle it takes to develop players, contracts to run their courses.

We have Major pieces locked up in contract. It will only be 2 or 3 years until we are going to need to address those contracts again. And about the same time until Lacy will be ready for a new deal.

We have youth on the team and that youth has considerable experience, we have veterans, and We have money. We have about 2 years to make a serious push at a SB before we will need to fall back and restock both cap and players for another couple years before being in position to make an other push again. I figure a cycle of about 5 years total where 2 should be serious contention. If we make the two years now, we should be able to get two windows before likely losing Rodgers to age.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
yooperfan
10 years ago

I don't want to put words into yoopers mouth (Oh hell, who am I kidding, if I didn't want to put words into his mouth why would say anything? I'd just let him come on here and explain it himself) I could be wrong but I don't think Manning took the pounding early in his career that Rodgers has. I think that is what he is referring to. Not that his skills won't hold up just that his body might not.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

You took the words right out of my mouth.😆

I thought everyone was aware of the beating he has taken over the last 5 years or so.
Another 5 years of that kind of punishment would have to take it's toll.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Rodgers doesn't seem to be any worse for wear. A freak collarbone break ain't generally chronic. I'd be the first to agree with you (or maybe second after Wade) if you're talking about our O-Line never giving Rodgers the protection it should. Just the same, if the comparison is to Peyton Manning, I think you have to consider that Rodgers had 3 seasons of clipboard holding, while P. Manning was on the field taking occasional hits from his first game. So the "early in his career" comment is kinda false.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

For one, Manning for most of his career had a better OL in front of him than Rodgers has ever had. For another, Manning throughout his career was less likely to hold on to the ball longer. For a third, Peyton Manning and a certain unnamed Rodgers predecessor are the exception,not the rule, for quarterback longevity, especially if you only count those quarterbacks who define their offense for their entire career the way Rodgers and Manning have.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago
We don't know how many years of "window" we have left. To me, that doesn't matter anyway.

We need to stop pissing these seasons away with injuries and Polish football.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Don't forget where Rodgers is on the concussion clock. A lot of the injuries he is susceptible to at his position are not as nice and likely to completely heal without future risk as the one collarbone injury.

Quarterbacks get hit, and when they get hit they can (i) get (another) concussion, (ii) get a major knee injury, get a throwing shoulder injury; (iv) get a throwing elbow injury; (v) get an Achilles injury; (vi) get a debiliating (for a football player) back injury; (vii) get serious tendonitis, or (viii) get a serious neck injury, any and all of which have varying degrees of "career threatening/shortening/making ineffective" potential greater than that of a busted collarbone.

Quarterbacks may not wear out with the speed of a running back, but between the position they play and the manner of the hits they take, they are major injuries waiting to happen. For the Packers to act as if Rodgers will last as long as Manning has would be, IMO, irresponsible. The odds are seriously against it.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago

Don't forget where Rodgers is on the concussion clock. A lot of the injuries he is susceptible to at his position are not as nice and likely to completely heal without future risk as the one collarbone injury.

Quarterbacks get hit, and when they get hit they can (i) get (another) concussion, (ii) get a major knee injury, get a throwing shoulder injury; (iv) get a throwing elbow injury; (v) get an Achilles injury; (vi) get a debiliating (for a football player) back injury; (vii) get serious tendonitis, or (viii) get a serious neck injury, any and all of which have varying degrees of "career threatening/shortening/making ineffective" potential greater than that of a busted collarbone.

Quarterbacks may not wear out with the speed of a running back, but between the position they play and the manner of the hits they take, they are major injuries waiting to happen. For the Packers to act as if Rodgers will last as long as Manning has would be, IMO, irresponsible. The odds are seriously against it.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

He might want to start getting the ball out a little faster.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (8h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (10h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (11h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.