Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

INDIANAPOLIS — As thrilled as Mike McCarthy was with rookie running back Eddie Lacy's debut season, the Green Bay Packers coach is looking for the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year — and his other running backs — to be able to stay on the field for every down.

"Eddie Lacy obviously had a heck of a year. He was a primary player for us, a playmaker," McCarthy said of the second-round pick from Alabama, who rushed for a franchise rookie record 1,178 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.

"Eddie's focus is on being a three-down player. He has to play all three downs throughout the whole game."

To McCarthy, it doesn't matter if it's Lacy, Johnathan Franklin, DuJuan Harris or unrestricted free agent-to-be James Starks. He believes having all of his backs be able to play on third down would give him greater offensive flexibility by having offensive threats available in the backfield.

Whether that means that the team is ready to proceed without veteran fullback John Kuhn, who's also an unrestricted free agent and whose greatest value is as a third-down pass-protecting back, is unclear.

Lacy, Franklin and Starks each had 100-yard games during last season after the Packers had gone 44 straight regular-season games without a 100-yard rusher. Harris, meanwhile, missed the season with a knee injury but entered training camp as the starter and is still held in high regard by McCarthy.

"I think we can get an even better rotation than we had this year with our running back group," McCarthy said. "I actually thought our running back group rotation-wise has been as good as it's been in my time in Green Bay. But with Eddie, Johnathan and James Starks — hopefully we can sign James back — if all these guys can play three downs, it gives your offense the chance to play faster, keeps guys fresher. Keeps them more in a rhythm, you don't have as much substitution. Really what I look for Eddie to do is become a three-down player."

Lacy, who carried 284 times in essentially 14 games last season, had just 355 rushing attempts in college and never carried more than 20 times in a single game at Alabama. Last season, Lacy carried 20 or more times in 11 games, including 21 carries in the playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

Franklin suffered a season-ending neck injury but McCarthy expects him to be fine for next season.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
If you can believe what Mike is putting out there, looks like The Packers might be tying to move waya from John Kuhn.

I still say if Kuhn doesn't get much attention in FA, The packers should bring him back for TC , sign him to a vet min contract, no guaranteed money, with roster bonus incentives.

The Packers know what Kuhn can do, if any of the rb's get injured or don't progress as Mike hopes, Kuhn then can be kept on the roster, or if things all go well he can be released without much of a salary cap hit.

I think Kuhn wants to end his carer in green bay, but also think there is a team out there who would welcome him if Green bay decides to let him go.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
The direct quote from McCarthy doesn't mention DuJuan Harris. I wonder what the significance of that is. I have more hope for Harris contributing than I do for Franklin. If we keep 4 RBs, it would seem like at least two of them would need to be major contributors on special teams.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I have more hope for Harris contributing than I do for Franklin.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

lol

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
10 years ago
I like what is being said so far this offseason... but so far it's just words.

But sounds like Mike McCarthy is trying to get all of his playmakers on the field more often and has talked about getting Hyde, Datone Jones and Franklin on the field more and in more ways and using Perry in a new way that better suits him and sounds like the defense will be new style/scheme of the 3-4 which has more direct attacking.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

I like what is being said so far this offseason... but so far it's just words.

But sounds like Mike McCarthy is trying to get all of his playmakers on the field more often and has talked about getting Hyde, Datone Jones and Franklin on the field more and in more ways and using Perry in a new way that better suits him and sounds like the defense will be new style/scheme of the 3-4 which has more direct attacking.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I like what he's saying.

We were all saying it during the season. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

No market for running backs, so far 

Eight running backs appear on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100: Ben Tate (No. 38); Donald Brown (No. 43); Darren McFadden (No. 67); Knowshon Moreno (No. 70); James Starks (No. 76); LeGarrette Blount (No. 83); Maurice Jones-Drew (No. 85); Toby Gerhart (No. 99).

Based on Saturday, there won’t be a land rush for tailbacks on Tuesday. The contracts likely will come late in the week, at the earliest.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.