buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Green Bay Packers want more production from strong safety Morgan Burnett.

That's no secret.

But during an interview at his hotel during a break from the NFL scouting combine, Packers coach Mike McCarthy offered a defense — and an honest assessment — of Burnett's play in 2013 after he signed a four-year, $24.75 million contract last July.

"You know, I don't think it's, 'Oh my God, he's a bust,'" McCarthy said.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

What, this can't be.

I wish I would have generated the article published just a few days ago saying Morgan Burnette's Contract was one of the 5 worse signings in Ted Thompsons tenure.

Maybe Mike is just trying to sugarcoat things, more disinformation, but I think it's just a case of a Reporter trying to generate readers.

I tend to let the coaches do their jobs and go with the flow of their decisions.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
What do you expect him to say.

They've praised Jarrett Bush for fucks sake.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

What do you expect him to say.

They've praised Jarrett Bush for fucks sake.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

And Jarrett Bush has turned himself into one of the best ST Gunners in the league, while becoming a decent fill in when needed because of injuries.

I'll give you a little hint about Jarret Bush, if everyone on The Packers roster would put in the work Bush does in preparing to play, The Packers as a team would be a hell of a lot better!!!

Instead of wasting your time making these uninformed negative remarks, why don't you spend a little time getting to know the players on the roster.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jarrett-bush-known-for-his-grueling-workouts-b9975723z1-219709871.html?page=1 

Edit: Before you post about how Bush failed to keep contain on the 3rd down Kaepernick run, I'll save you a little embarassment by telling you to go to the 13:25 mark of the link below and watch.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-Live-Andrew-Quarless/5385c028-7843-4b5c-a4a5-9da0f41aacb1 

A players evaluation for the season, game, or even one play can change a whole lot when coaches break down the game on film, instead of going with the so often posted "knee-jerk" instant analysis.

Maybe that is why Burnett received a positive comment from Mike, it's his job to break down the film evaluate players.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
RaiderPride
10 years ago
As always Buckeye I love reading the threads you start. You are a pioneer in thread development.

Funny as it might be... Mike is right.

He IS NOT A BUST. Not yet at least.

Remember Collins' first three years? So many people called him a bust after his third year. How about Sharper. (Forget the news now.) As an player, he was brutal his first and second year, tolerable his third, and a pro bowler after that.

It is tough position to play, and experience is a big jack in the arm.

He is so far from a bust. WATCH THIS YEAR!
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
It takes a little while before we can apply the label. Right now he is in the "disappointing" section.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
1. He should be moved back to FS, where he played well alongside Collins.
2. He needs a good player to team up with at SS.

Playing out of position with no help will make anyone look bad. This was not a good way for him to develop, and he clearly took monster steps backwards. Sometimes I shake my head at the things this coaching staff does, not to mention, the personnel staff. I go back to Tramon's end of season comments. Not only was he calling out the personnel staff for not adding capable talent, he was calling out the younger guys for not putting forth the effort in preparation, without coming right out and saying it.

"You're challenged with young guys," Williams said, a day after the Packers were knocked out of the playoffs. "Talented, young guys get played, but the game is still fast for them because they don't understand what teams are trying to do, they don't understand the scheme fully, they don't understand what the scheme can do for them, if they understand it.

"That's what you're faced with. Plus, the preparation. A lot of guys thought they knew how to prepare when they were in college, but then you get to the league and you find out there's another level to preparation. That's what you're faced with, with young guys. Even though we say it's a young league, yeah, it's a young league.

"It's an old league, too, because old guys make the league go."

The Packers have suffered through many growing pains at safety since Nick Collins was forced to retire and it has cost them. They put all their chips on Morgan Burnett, M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian and none of them advanced to a level Sam Shields or even Micah Hyde did.

And Thompson never brought in a veteran to stabilize the position.

Williams said he would express his opinions about the need for more veterans, but he wasn't demanding anything be done. He said that his experience is that veterans help the team both on the field and in the locker room.

"That’s the guys who have been there before, who know how to prepare, who molds the young guys," Williams said. "That’s what they’re there for. I understand I had the privilege of playing with (Charles) Woodson and Collins and Al Harris. I understand what chemistry in the secondary can do. That’s what you try to find when you get a good group of guys. You want to get guys all on the same page.

"You want guys to see things the way you see it if you’re the supposed leader of that group. When you can get guys to that point, slow the game down for everyone on that back end, then that’s when you start seeing a lot of plays being made, whether it’s your play or not, you know where the ball is going and you go and make the play. That’s what we’re trying to get.

"We have a great group of young guys in this room, but they’re young. They can play very talented, but still they’re young."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/238888671.html#ixzz2u9YbQwzF 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/238888671.html#ixzz2u9Y8TcuU 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

These two things have been an issue for 3 seasons, to our detriment. I don't think it is all on Morgan Burnett.
nerdmann
10 years ago
He's having to cover up the mistakes of other guys, which puts him on the edge of where he's supposed to be. Therefore he's not optimally in position.

He's not opening his pie hole and blaming others either. Morgan Burnett is the least of my worries on this D.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

He's having to cover up the mistakes of other guys, which puts him on the edge of where he's supposed to be. Therefore he's not optimally in position.

He's not opening his pie hole and blaming others either. Morgan Burnett is the least of my worries on this D.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I have a lot of hope that we add a top talent at SS, moving Burnett back to FS, and we see better days in our secondary. Pick Fest 2014.
sschind
10 years ago
Bush didn't go to Ohio State by any chance did he?

All joking aside buckeyepackfan I agree with you 100%. We see a play or two that a player messes up and that is all that we remember. Bush knows his role on this team. He as accepted it and embraced it and worked to be one of the best in the league at it. The question eventually becomes can we afford it (its a luxury just like a highly priced #3 or #4 WR) but when we start letting guys like Bush go and we start missing their play on the field people will start to remember things other than the bad.

As for Burnett, I agree with others that said his play has suffered due to the lack of talent around him. He is apparently not that type of player who makes everyone around him play better but with talented guys around him he is a very good player. We need to get those talented players around him.
musccy
10 years ago

As for Burnett, I agree with others that said his play has suffered due to the lack of talent around him. He is apparently not that type of player who makes everyone around him play better but with talented guys around him he is a very good player. We need to get those talented players around him.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I don't even entirely agree with this. He had a pretty bad year. So did CM3. So did Raji (at a very inopportune time). I'm not willing to write him off yet.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (8h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (11h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.