Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:08:22 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,234
Applause Received: 1,554

JSOnline wrote:
Life goes on, and the Green Bay Packers appear to have moved on from wide receiver James Jones.

A source said Jones hasn't been offered a new contract and, in all likelihood, won't be.

Jones has been adequate in GB but he is starting to a few years on him. He probably won't be able to live up the he end of a 3 year contract.

Picking up a wr in the draft would make more sense than keeping Jones.

Message modified by user Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:18:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:55:11 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Sad to me because he seems like one hell of a guy, and he has been a reliable player for us. I hope they can keep him in GB. This could play out for a while.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
pokethebear on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:04:25 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,402

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Sad to me because he seems like one hell of a guy, and he has been a reliable player for us. I hope they can keep him in GB. This could play out for a while.

James Jones has never met the lofty expectations I had for him. He's been a solid player, but very replaceable.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 2/23/2014(UTC), wpr on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:14:35 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 475

My thinking is james Jones falls into the category of "wait and see" what happens.

I know FA starts March 11th, not sure just how long it goes, I believe Ted will put the ball in James's corner, letting him see who is interested and for how much.

Ted is not going to overpay James, but if his agent comes back and says this is what we will play for and it in the range Ted wants to pay, he will resign James.

What that number is??? Who knows.

I think there are quite a few of the Packers FA's who fall into this category.

John Kuhn, James Starks, Matt Flynn, Johnny Jolly, Ryan Pickett, Mike Neal, Robert Francois, C. J. Wilson.

I see these guys as Top priority signings.

Sam Shields(don't let him get to March 11th), Evan Dietrich-Smith, Andrew Quarless, and Jamari Lattimore.

The 2 really big ?'s are B.J. Raji(probably gone), and now all of a sudden is Jermicheal Finley back in the picture?(probably not, but could change some of the decisions if he is resigned).

Will be interesting to see what happens between the end of the combine and the start of FA, I believe the picture will start to clear, we will all know what direction The team decided to go.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
thanks Post received 2 applause.
pokethebear on 2/23/2014(UTC), play2win on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:28:44 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 674

JJ showed he's a man, but that said he's not a top end FA.

They'll let him test the market. Ted has a number, and if he's still available for that, he'll be back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:50:55 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

IMO the Packer receiving corps will not be as good without James Jones. We go from having 3 solid, guys (I almost said proven but that may still be up in the air on Cobb) and a guy who had a very good 2nd year entering the breakout 3rd year to 2 solid guys and a guy who had a very good 2nd year entering the breakout 3rd year. To me that is not as good.

That said I completely understand the idea behind letting him walk. He is replaceable as Dakota said (not sure what lofty expectations he had for Jones that he never reached but ...) but he is not replaceable at his current level. Maybe with a draft pick we can be to this level or even above in a couple of years but no rookie is going to step into this offense and put up numbers like Jones did if Nelson and Cobb stay healthy. Now Boykin might put up Jones numbers but again, no rookie will put up the numbers Boykin did last year. Not with the guys we have.

However, I am not simply talking about numbers here. I fully expect that with a healthy Rodgers and a healthy Cobb, Nelson, Boykin, ??? the Packers will put up the same or better numbers passing as they have in the past. Hence the understanding of why to let Jones go.If you can get the same numbers for less money why not do it. Also, if they draft a highly talented rookie who knows he might emerge as our go to guy. That is hard to do that with limited roster spots.

What I am talking about is guys playing at an advanced level out on the field right now. You can't tell me that, from a pure talent/experience in a 4 receiver set level you would rather have Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Rookie than Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and Jones. If you say you would I don't believe you. However, as has been said, having that level of experience may be a luxury we can't afford.

As someone said in the comments section of the JS article. We can win another Super Bowl with James Jones at WR. We cannot with our current MLBs and Safeties

I will hate to see him go and he will be one of the rare players that I follow his career after he leaves.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:25:30 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

James Jones agent thinks Thompson doesn't want James Jones back next season. “I don’t think Ted Thompson wants [Jones],” agent Frank Bauer told Bob McGinn.

However, Thompson has said he wants all free agents back. Thing is, Thompson has to pick where he spends his salary cap dollars and with Jarrett Boykin (whom I told you would be solid btw, ahem! :P) sufficing as a 3rd WR to Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, they might have to allocate their monies elsewhere. I wouldn't mind seeing James Jones back, especially if they let Finley walk. I think one of them has to return though.

Somewhere there was a list of top WR free agents. James Jones wasn't even listed on the top 10. Maybe he comes back to the Packers for $3.4 million a year?

Here's a comment from Mike McCarthy on Boykin.
"I'm as high on Boykin as anybody in our building," Mike McCarthy said Friday at the combine. "He had a heck of a year, and I still think he has another jump in him."
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:38:42 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,402

Could it be possibly that Uncle Ted spends our first rounder on a talented top notch WR? I'd really like to see a 6-5 sub 4.4 speed pass catcher with awesome hands and break away speed to team up with Nelson on the outside and Cobb wreaking havoc between the hashes.

Just a thought - no need to tell me we need defense first - that's a given.
UserPostedImage
Yerko on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:42:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

MARTAVIS BRYANT WR 6'4" and 4.38 forty. Considered to be the 12th best WR in the draft. Hardly worth a 1st round pick.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Online Mucky Tundra  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:44:59 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 392
Applause Received: 500

Apparently the draft this year is deep at WR

Quote:
With the influx of underclassmen who have declared for the 2014 NFL Draft, wide receiver is now the strongest and deepest position group in this class. Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews is the only senior wide receiver among the top 12 players at the position in our latest rankings.

2014 NFL Draft wide receiver rankings

Message modified by user Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:01:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added link

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:20:16 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 475

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Apparently the draft this year is deep at WR

2014 NFL Draft wide receiver rankings

20. Ryan Grant | 6'1, 191 pounds | Wide receiver | Tulane

Ted should draft this guy, give him #25 and everyone with a Grant uni will be happy as hell!!!!

Laughing

Still think it is all part of the process, James isn't top 5 priority, but in the end if the money is right, he might be back.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
QCHuskerFan on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:38:31 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Yeah, buckeye, I think he will be back in time. Just going to take a while. You know Rodgers wants him back.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:30:52 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 305

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
James Jones has never met the lofty expectations I had for him. He's been a solid player, but very replaceable.

I don't know about lofty expectations - that would be Raji hahahaha. Jones was what? a third round pick? He is in the category of players who served the Packers well, and I wish him luck in getting big money from somebody - not quite like Jennings, but close.

He is IMO more than replaced by Boykin - who gets open just as well and catches the ball better, even though he isn't as much of a deep threat. With the need coming to re-sign Nelson and Cobb - true deep threats, letting Jones walk is the best move.

I like the sound of getting that Randy Moss clone (minus the attitude) which that Martavis guy might be, or somebody similar, providing the guy could actually catch. It would have to be a low round gem, though.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:46:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 674

JJ is getting to that age, but he's a leader and he's proven himself. I believe Ted would take him back for maybe a 2-3 year deal. Ted has a price, and he won't go beyond that.

But they've got some young guys they like too, Boykin obviously, Kevin Dorsey and Chris Harper. That Tracy White kid seems like a Jeff Query type guy too. Sucks we lost Charles Johnson, but we've still got guys. I'm personally more concerned about TE.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online steveishere  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:12:15 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,006

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
JJ is getting to that age, but he's a leader and he's proven himself. I believe Ted would take him back for maybe a 2-3 year deal. Ted has a price, and he won't go beyond that.

But they've got some young guys they like too, Boykin obviously, Kevin Dorsey and Chris Harper. That Tracy White kid seems like a Jeff Query type guy too. Sucks we lost Charles Johnson, but we've still got guys. I'm personally more concerned about TE.

Yeah Chris Harper lol, since people here seem to love John Schneider so much they should be fairly excited about Harper.
Rss Feed