beast
10 years ago

This is a NO-BRAINER if it is an accurate report!!!

I would consider Sam Shields a steal at 5.7 mil a year.

I don't give a damn whether he has made a probowl or not.

The report seems to be quoting Drew Rosenhouse.

DON'T BALK ON THIS ONE TED, that is if it's accurate.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Then you should applaud it!

As you think it's an improvement right?

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Then you should applaud it!

As you think it's an improvement right?

Originally Posted by: beast 

????????
🤷 🤷
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I think Sam Shields is the best corner on the team. Mainly because he is very quick on closing to the WR and ball which covers up most mistakes. He's definitely worth $6 million a year to the Packers. Sign him on a 4 year deal worth $28 million with a $4 million bonus up front.

This contract stuff is easy!
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

I think Sam Shields is the best corner on the team. Mainly because he is very quick on closing to the WR and ball which covers up most mistakes. He's definitely worth $6 million a year to the Packers. Sign him on a 4 year deal worth $28 million with a $4 million bonus up front.

This contract stuff is easy!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think its going to take a lot more guaranteed money than that to get him to agree. The overall amount may be OK but I think it will take at least 10 million guaranteed, maybe 12 to get him to sign. That doesn't have to be all SB though. Guarantee him a 4 million dollar salary this year or 1 million and a roster bonus or however you want to split it up, on top of an 8 million SB that makes his guaranteed money 12 million and a cap hit this year 6 million. It leaves 16 million to distribute in salary/ roster bonuses over the next three years. The last year includes a 8 million dollar salary. As long as he is playing decent he will be pretty much guaranteed 21 million (we probably wouldn't cut him in years 2 and 3 if he is playing at a high level with cap hits of 6 million per year. It leaves us with 2 million in dead money in year 4 if we cut him.

I just don't think a 4 million bonus up front will cut it unless you guarantee part of the rest of the contact as well. You could go your route and guarantee a 6 million dollar contract this year with a 4 million dollar bonus for a total of 10 million guaranteed and it would lessen the dead money but the cap hits would be a little higher.

The point, yours and mine, is if he will take an average of 6 million per year (actually 7 with our numbers) it is extremely doable and will be stupid if they don't get something done. All that is left to work out are the details.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I think its going to take a lot more guaranteed money than that to get him to agree. The overall amount may be OK but I think it will take at least 10 million guaranteed, maybe 12 to get him to sign. That doesn't have to be all SB though. Guarantee him a 4 million dollar salary this year or 1 million and a roster bonus or however you want to split it up, on top of an 8 million SB that makes his guaranteed money 12 million and a cap hit this year 6 million. It leaves 16 million to distribute in salary/ roster bonuses over the next three years. The last year includes a 8 million dollar salary. As long as he is playing decent he will be pretty much guaranteed 21 million (we probably wouldn't cut him in years 2 and 3 if he is playing at a high level with cap hits of 6 million per year. It leaves us with 2 million in dead money in year 4 if we cut him.

I just don't think a 4 million bonus up front will cut it unless you guarantee part of the rest of the contact as well. You could go your route and guarantee a 6 million dollar contract this year with a 4 million dollar bonus for a total of 10 million guaranteed and it would lessen the dead money but the cap hits would be a little higher.

The point, yours and mine, is if he will take an average of 6 million per year (actually 7 with our numbers) it is extremely doable and will be stupid if they don't get something done. All that is left to work out are the details.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think you're right about the guaranteed money thing. Either way, though, it is advantageous for the team to make the bonus bigger and the term longer.

How about $34 million for six years with $9 million bonus and $1 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 7 million per year?

That would be just a $2.5 million cap hit the first year, and still fairly tolerable after that. The only way this is bad is if we think Shields won't stay good for 5 years or so.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

I think you're right about the guaranteed money thing. Either way, though, it is advantageous for the team to make the bonus bigger and the term longer.

How about $34 million for six years with $9 million bonus and $1 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 7 million per year?

That would be just a $2.5 million cap hit the first year, and still fairly tolerable after that. The only way this is bad is if we think Shields won't stay good for 5 years or so.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I think a 6 year deal is stretching it although he is only 26 years old so maybe not. I also think 9 million guaranteed is pushing it on the low side of acceptance by Shields. Obviously the longer you go the less the hit and the less dead money at the end. If the Packers are willing to go 6 years I think I'd add a few million this year to further reduce the hit in the next few years and guarantee it.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

totally infeasible.

I am ignoring the signing bonus. It doesn't matter for this.

1. The vet min for a 5th year player is $730,000. They give that to back ups not to starters. Not to one of the better players on the team.

2. In 2013 the AVERAGE CB made $1.2 mil. That includes rookies and street FAs and everyone. I am pretty sure Sam and Ted and everyone else knows he is way above average.

3. In 2012 the 10th highest CB was paid $4.34 million. Joe Haden. I did not take the time to run down 2013.

4. Uncle Teddy ain't going to sign him for 6 years.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
Why do you guys want to fuck this kid so bad on his contract? In my opinion we owe Sam big money for what he has already given us playing on a street free agent salary. He has had huge interceptions in big games, playoff games. He's a very good cover corner and still improving. Christ cut Brad Jones and give the money for his overpayed ass to Sam.

I'm confident the Packers will sign him, and if need be, I think they will franchise tag him.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
I DEFINITELY TOTALLY HAD HIM AS A ROOK IN TRAINING CAMP- look it up.

I oughta be runnin' that GBP place.

😆

Pay the man.

sschind
10 years ago

Why do you guys want to fuck this kid so bad on his contract? In my opinion we owe Sam big money for what he has already given us playing on a street free agent salary. He has had huge interceptions in big games, playoff games. He's a very good cover corner and still improving. Christ cut Brad Jones and give the money for his overpayed ass to Sam.

I'm confident the Packers will sign him, and if need be, I think they will franchise tag him.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Who is trying to fuck him. The report said he is looking for a deal worth between 5 and 7 million per year. Going on that My example (using zeroes numbers, 28 million over 4 years) it averages 7 with a very good chance that he plays the entire contract out (only 9 million cap hit in year 4 I think I had which if the cap keeps going up will not be that bad) even Texas' numbers give him 5.6million per year though I do think his guarantee number and early year salaries are a bit low.

Giving a guy 7 million per year when he is looking for 5 hardly seems like fucking him but I do think 5 is way less than he would take. If he is looking for 9 then there may be a problem.

I do agree with you in that I am confident they will get a deal worked out. I don't even think they will have to franchise him.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.