Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:47:56 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
This is a NO-BRAINER if it is an accurate report!!!

I would consider Sam Shields a steal at 5.7 mil a year.

I don't give a damn whether he has made a probowl or not.

The report seems to be quoting Drew Rosenhouse.

DON'T BALK ON THIS ONE TED, that is if it's accurate.

Then you should applaud it!

As you think it's an improvement right?

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:20:50 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 350
Applause Received: 457

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Then you should applaud it!

As you think it's an improvement right?

????????
Shrug Shrug
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 6:01:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,222

I think Sam Shields is the best corner on the team. Mainly because he is very quick on closing to the WR and ball which covers up most mistakes. He's definitely worth $6 million a year to the Packers. Sign him on a 4 year deal worth $28 million with a $4 million bonus up front.

This contract stuff is easy!
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 9:31:59 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 449

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I think Sam Shields is the best corner on the team. Mainly because he is very quick on closing to the WR and ball which covers up most mistakes. He's definitely worth $6 million a year to the Packers. Sign him on a 4 year deal worth $28 million with a $4 million bonus up front.

This contract stuff is easy!

I think its going to take a lot more guaranteed money than that to get him to agree. The overall amount may be OK but I think it will take at least 10 million guaranteed, maybe 12 to get him to sign. That doesn't have to be all SB though. Guarantee him a 4 million dollar salary this year or 1 million and a roster bonus or however you want to split it up, on top of an 8 million SB that makes his guaranteed money 12 million and a cap hit this year 6 million. It leaves 16 million to distribute in salary/ roster bonuses over the next three years. The last year includes a 8 million dollar salary. As long as he is playing decent he will be pretty much guaranteed 21 million (we probably wouldn't cut him in years 2 and 3 if he is playing at a high level with cap hits of 6 million per year. It leaves us with 2 million in dead money in year 4 if we cut him.

I just don't think a 4 million bonus up front will cut it unless you guarantee part of the rest of the contact as well. You could go your route and guarantee a 6 million dollar contract this year with a 4 million dollar bonus for a total of 10 million guaranteed and it would lessen the dead money but the cap hits would be a little higher.

The point, yours and mine, is if he will take an average of 6 million per year (actually 7 with our numbers) it is extremely doable and will be stupid if they don't get something done. All that is left to work out are the details.

Message modified by user Monday, February 24, 2014 9:51:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 12:17:42 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I think its going to take a lot more guaranteed money than that to get him to agree. The overall amount may be OK but I think it will take at least 10 million guaranteed, maybe 12 to get him to sign. That doesn't have to be all SB though. Guarantee him a 4 million dollar salary this year or 1 million and a roster bonus or however you want to split it up, on top of an 8 million SB that makes his guaranteed money 12 million and a cap hit this year 6 million. It leaves 16 million to distribute in salary/ roster bonuses over the next three years. The last year includes a 8 million dollar salary. As long as he is playing decent he will be pretty much guaranteed 21 million (we probably wouldn't cut him in years 2 and 3 if he is playing at a high level with cap hits of 6 million per year. It leaves us with 2 million in dead money in year 4 if we cut him.

I just don't think a 4 million bonus up front will cut it unless you guarantee part of the rest of the contact as well. You could go your route and guarantee a 6 million dollar contract this year with a 4 million dollar bonus for a total of 10 million guaranteed and it would lessen the dead money but the cap hits would be a little higher.

The point, yours and mine, is if he will take an average of 6 million per year (actually 7 with our numbers) it is extremely doable and will be stupid if they don't get something done. All that is left to work out are the details.

I think you're right about the guaranteed money thing. Either way, though, it is advantageous for the team to make the bonus bigger and the term longer.

How about $34 million for six years with $9 million bonus and $1 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 7 million per year?

That would be just a $2.5 million cap hit the first year, and still fairly tolerable after that. The only way this is bad is if we think Shields won't stay good for 5 years or so.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline sschind  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 1:39:09 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I think you're right about the guaranteed money thing. Either way, though, it is advantageous for the team to make the bonus bigger and the term longer.

How about $34 million for six years with $9 million bonus and $1 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 7 million per year?

That would be just a $2.5 million cap hit the first year, and still fairly tolerable after that. The only way this is bad is if we think Shields won't stay good for 5 years or so.

I think a 6 year deal is stretching it although he is only 26 years old so maybe not. I also think 9 million guaranteed is pushing it on the low side of acceptance by Shields. Obviously the longer you go the less the hit and the less dead money at the end. If the Packers are willing to go 6 years I think I'd add a few million this year to further reduce the hit in the next few years and guarantee it.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 2:22:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,143
Applause Received: 1,515

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post

totally infeasible.

I am ignoring the signing bonus. It doesn't matter for this.

1. The vet min for a 5th year player is $730,000. They give that to back ups not to starters. Not to one of the better players on the team.

2. In 2013 the AVERAGE CB made $1.2 mil. That includes rookies and street FAs and everyone. I am pretty sure Sam and Ted and everyone else knows he is way above average.

3. In 2012 the 10th highest CB was paid $4.34 million. Joe Haden. I did not take the time to run down 2013.

4. Uncle Teddy ain't going to sign him for 6 years.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Online DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 4:34:44 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 665
Applause Received: 1,367

Why do you guys want to fuck this kid so bad on his contract? In my opinion we owe Sam big money for what he has already given us playing on a street free agent salary. He has had huge interceptions in big games, playoff games. He's a very good cover corner and still improving. Christ cut Brad Jones and give the money for his overpayed ass to Sam.

I'm confident the Packers will sign him, and if need be, I think they will franchise tag him.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 2/24/2014(UTC), Yerko on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 4:37:21 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 205
Applause Received: 428

I DEFINITELY TOTALLY HAD HIM AS A ROOK IN TRAINING CAMP- look it up.

I oughta be runnin' that GBP place.

Laughing

Pay the man.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 2/24/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 5:25:15 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Why do you guys want to fuck this kid so bad on his contract? In my opinion we owe Sam big money for what he has already given us playing on a street free agent salary. He has had huge interceptions in big games, playoff games. He's a very good cover corner and still improving. Christ cut Brad Jones and give the money for his overpayed ass to Sam.

I'm confident the Packers will sign him, and if need be, I think they will franchise tag him.

Who is trying to fuck him. The report said he is looking for a deal worth between 5 and 7 million per year. Going on that My example (using zeroes numbers, 28 million over 4 years) it averages 7 with a very good chance that he plays the entire contract out (only 9 million cap hit in year 4 I think I had which if the cap keeps going up will not be that bad) even Texas' numbers give him 5.6million per year though I do think his guarantee number and early year salaries are a bit low.

Giving a guy 7 million per year when he is looking for 5 hardly seems like fucking him but I do think 5 is way less than he would take. If he is looking for 9 then there may be a problem.

I do agree with you in that I am confident they will get a deal worked out. I don't even think they will have to franchise him.
Rss Feed