nerdmann
10 years ago
Kind of an oddly illuminating article by Tom Oates:

Oates: Packers should re-sign B.J. Raji 

There are plenty of mixed signals coming from the Packers on this topic and their true approach to fixing their defense is hard to decipher. However, from my vantage point, it sounds like McCarthy wants Capers to stop being so dogmatic about his 3-4 scheme and start building the defense around the talents of his players.

If that’s the case, then the Packers’ first order of business on defense is clear: They should re-sign Raji, one of four Green Bay linemen who will hit unrestricted free agency March 11.

OK, you can stop laughing now. While it is true Raji in 2013 had quite possibly the worst contract year in the history of professional sports, the Packers should try to keep him around because, if used differently, he could still become the explosive, disruptive player they thought he was when they made him the ninth overall pick in the 2009 draft.

I thought the below was odd myself. They have Raji, a penetrating pass rushing interior DL playing END. Because they want him to "take up blockers." So then why do they put Daniels in the middle to rush the passer?

Second, Raji’s declining performance is not entirely his fault. Capers wants his linemen to be two-gapping run-stuffers whose primary job is to occupy blockers and give the linebackers room to make tackles. That’s not Raji, and it never has been. If the Packers are indeed going to emphasize playing to their players’ strengths, they should devise ways to let him shoot through gaps and be disruptive. Raji was a good soldier who bit his tongue last season even though it was clear he wasn’t happy about the way he was being used, so a change in approach likely would spur a change in his attitude and in his productivity.

Now here we hear that Raji was unhappy about how he was being used.

Finally, we get some evidence that this "smaller quicker DL" theme is bullshit:

Finally, comments made by Arizona State nose tackle Will Sutton confirmed the Packers aren’t looking to get smaller up front. The athletic Sutton, a potential first-round draft pick, played at 320 pounds last season before dropping to 303 for the combine. The Packers told him they would want him back at 320 if they drafted him, which indicates they don’t want smaller linemen as much as they want more active linemen.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
10 years ago
Why don't they just come out and say they don't want 350lb lazy sacks of shit lacking a heartbeat or the enthusiasm to get paid to play a kids game. The lack of professionalism Raji displayed in the 2013-14 season is alarming, and I hope nobody signs him.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
The problem with re-signing Raji is why the hell would you want a 330+ lb lineman when the only thing he will do is shoot gaps and pass rush? He's not better at it than Daniels. If we're going to drop that money on a big ass lineman he needs to be able to do more. Raji is a 340lber but only wants to play like a 290lber that's fine, do it somewhere else.

Being a "good soldier" is not just about biting your tongue about being upset it's about still doing your job to the best of your abilities AND keeping your mouth shut even if you are upset. So no, Raji was not a "good soldier" at all.

What bothers me is Raji could be a dominant player in any phase of the game if he had actually wanted to. If Raji was a dominant lineman last year we could have even found ourselves facing Seattle in the NFC Championship then who knows what happens.
musccy
10 years ago

There are plenty of mixed signals coming from the Packers on this topic and their true approach to fixing their defense is hard to decipher. However, from my vantage point, it sounds like McCarthy wants Capers to stop being so dogmatic about his 3-4 scheme and start building the defense around the talents of his players.

Not that Oates' perception of a situation is fact, but this coupled with the strong comments this week that McCarthy controls the defense are interesting to me. I sense that he is a little frustrated with the defense, and is willing to grab the bull by the horns to make sure there are changes made this offseason.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I've been as definite as anybody with the possible exception of Dakota about getting rid of that big fat piece of crap. That alone more than any other single factor will help D-Line play, and defense in general.

Where I disagree with some people is that it is just his attitude. Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have a rotten attitude too, but I don't think his ABILITY is as great as advertized when we drafted him either.

He does not seem to have the raw strength and toughness that a lot of D-Linemen - both smaller and big like him seem to have.

He reminds me of Prince Fielder in baseball - never as good as he was expected to be, and SHORT and fat. He also reminds me - for those old enough to remember and Badger fans - of Rashard Griffith - supposed to be an all out superstar, and just not; also supposed to be over 7 feet tall, and actually under 6'10".
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
yooperfan
10 years ago

Not that Oates' perception of a situation is fact, but this coupled with the strong comments this week that McCarthy controls the defense are interesting to me. I sense that he is a little frustrated with the defense, and is willing to grab the bull by the horns to make sure there are changes made this offseason.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Mike McCarthy may be willing, let's hope it happens.
I have been hoping he would get more involved with the defense for a long time.
I would like to see him turn over the play calling to someone else so he can concentrate his attention on the entire team.
musccy
10 years ago

He reminds me of Prince Fielder in baseball - never as good as he was expected to be, and SHORT and fat. He also reminds me - for those old enough to remember and Badger fans - of Rashard Griffith - supposed to be an all out superstar, and just not; also supposed to be over 7 feet tall, and actually under 6'10".

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I like the reference. Wasn't he there the same time as Finley? They should have been more dominant than they were, but like you said he was a bit of a paper tiger.

I think Oates' points about him being misused are interesting and something I hadn't thought of, but to me talent and or effort still shines through. CM3 goes 1:1 against tackles in this defense and although he is WAY undersized for that, you still see the basic pass rushing skills/speed at times even though he is generally over matched.
DakotaT
10 years ago

I've been as definite as anybody with the possible exception of Dakota about getting rid of that big fat piece of crap. That alone more than any other single factor will help D-Line play, and defense in general.

Where I disagree with some people is that it is just his attitude. Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have a rotten attitude too, but I don't think his ABILITY is as great as advertized when we drafted him either.

He does not seem to have the raw strength and toughness that a lot of D-Linemen - both smaller and big like him seem to have.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

If you made sense like this when we argue about politics, I wouldn't have to call you a Dumbass all the time. I remember Rashard Griffith - what a waste!
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

If you made sense like this when we argue about politics, I wouldn't have to call you a Dumbass all the time. I remember Rashard Griffith - what a waste!

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

back at you hahahaha

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Welp I have absolutely no idea about this Raji business. I felt like out of Pickett and Raji, one of them would stay, so... I just don't know.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (29m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.