Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:36:56 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

JerseyAl wrote:
The NFL announced the 2014 salary cap today at $133 million per team, up $10 million from last year's mark of $123 million. As part of the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams can also carry over unspent cap dollars from the previous season.  The Green Bay Packers are expected to bring over an additional $9.98 million.  [...]

There has been speculation as to what the cap will be. Looks like it is set at $133 per team.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:10:58 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

So the Pack has 35 million in cap space.
Hmmmm.
Offline musccy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:31:41 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
There has been speculation as to what the cap will be. Looks like it is set at $133 per team.

I don't really see this as a positive. It's a get out of jail free card for teams like the Cowboys and Denver who were reportedly in salary cap trouble.

It's also not like this information is escaping Sheilds, Finley, Jarius Byrd, Brian Orakpo, etc. and their agents. You think Rodgers got a big contract, wait until Luck is due and with another 15 or so mil in cap space than when A.R. was signed.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 3/2/2014(UTC), wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC), beast on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:49:07 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

SIGN SHIELDS

FUCK
call me Dan
thanks Post received 1 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:10:57 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Well if this is the year, Ted actually is going to wade deeper into the FA pool. Than money can do nothing but help. Can allow either making more moves, or bigger moves, or using the extra space to front load more limiting how much of the future gets mortgaged.

Regardless of the amount of space there is, this is still the best possible year to throw our chips into the middle.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:40:06 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I don't really see this as a positive. It's a get out of jail free card for teams like the Cowboys and Denver who were reportedly in salary cap trouble.

It's also not like this information is escaping Sheilds, Finley, Jarius Byrd, Brian Orakpo, etc. and their agents. You think Rodgers got a big contract, wait until Luck is due and with another 15 or so mil in cap space than when A.R. was signed.

crossed my mind too.
UserPostedImage

Offline sschind  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:13:21 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post

The cap was never set for 2014 was it. I thought the numbers given in the past were based on speculation. The cowboys and Broncos were in cap trouble when everyone thought the cap would be 125 million but as it turns out its not 125 its 133. Its not like teams knew the cap number for 2014, got in a bind and were bailed out when they raised it.

I know what you are saying but its not like it was raised to help those teams. Those teams just got lucky that it is higher than everyone initially thought. Their cap numbers were going to be what they were regardless of the salary cap total.

As far as future contracts go I think you will see guys like Luck really trying to cash in on their second contracts to make up for the huge deals they didn't get as rookies as well and the higher cap number will allow it to happen. At least for another decade or so until the last of the rookie jackpots are gone (Sam Bradford)
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline musccy  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:55:53 AM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
The cap was never set for 2014 was it. I thought the numbers given in the past were based on speculation. The cowboys and Broncos were in cap trouble when everyone thought the cap would be 125 million but as it turns out its not 125 its 133. Its not like teams knew the cap number for 2014, got in a bind and were bailed out when they raised it.

As far as future contracts go I think you will see guys like Luck really trying to cash in on their second contracts to make up for the huge deals they didn't get as rookies as well and the higher cap number will allow it to happen. At least for another decade or so until the last of the rookie jackpots are gone (Sam Bradford)

I know Godell didn't see that "America's Team" was in trouble so he suddenly decided to bump the cap for them. I understand (or at least assume) the move was made independent of the knowledge of cap status of marquee teams. My comments were simply that I feel there's an excitement among NFL fans that this is a good thing, but again, it's just a gift to teams that didn't responsibly manage their numbers and almost an unintended punishment for teams that did.

Furthermore, we can pretty much delete the Shields 5 mil/year thread. There is no way he's settling for that now.
DakotaT on 3/3/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 1:26:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

I know what you are saying but its not like it was raised to help those teams. Those teams just got lucky that it is higher than everyone initially thought. Their cap numbers were going to be what they were regardless of the salary cap total.

If you don't think certain teams have additional influence due to their owners, you're wrong. Look at the Patriots. Robert Kraft takes over and suddenly they're a dynasty.

That said, the salary cap didn't expand the past few years, because De Smith borrowed against the future earnings to make his collective bargaining deal look better than it was. This was the first year the normal expansion of the cap came back online.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 1:32:15 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,376

Question now is will we be players in free agency this season, or just lock up our own guys like Nelson, Cobb, Finley etc.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 2:19:45 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Question now is will we be players in free agency this season, or just lock up our own guys like Nelson, Cobb, Finley etc.

hahahahaRolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 2:23:13 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers land a starter out of Free Agency.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 3:16:56 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 294

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

They certainly can and should - could and should even if the cap limit hadn't been raised, but like was said about Shields above, it will probably be a little bit more expensive now.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 8:56:02 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

With our biggest contracts taken care of with Clay and Rodgers, and the amount of space we will have under the cap. It only makes sense to use it in FA. With the minimum cap requirements, we have to spend the money on somebody, or somebodies. Even with Nelson and Cobb coming due, I don't see current players that would justify being paid enough to eat up our cap space.

We can bring in a or a couple FA and be able to pay more in 1st year salary, rather than SB and do less harm to the teams future caps situation.

Message modified by user Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:28:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 10:41:12 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Online Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:23:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
They certainly can and should - could and should even if the cap limit hadn't been raised, but like was said about Shields above, it will probably be a little bit more expensive now.

The salary cap could be $133 million or $200 million, that doesn't matter because ALL teams were given the same cap. It doesn't help the Packers anymore than it hurts another team. We are experiencing one of the most wicked winters in Green Bay history. In fact, we have had the most sub zero temperatures ever this winter. You think people wanna come up here in this? It's going to take a lot of money.

Best thing would be for Charles Woodson to retire, take a entry level coaching position with the Packers and it would be wise for the Packers to have him tag along when wooing potential free agent signees.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 3/4/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 3/4/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:31:40 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

The salary cap could be $133 million or $200 million, that doesn't matter because ALL teams were given the same cap. It doesn't help the Packers anymore than it hurts another team. We are experiencing one of the most wicked winters in Green Bay history. In fact, we have had the most sub zero temperatures ever this winter. You think people wanna come up here in this? It's going to take a lot of money.

Best thing would be for Charles Woodson to retire, take a entry level coaching position with the Packers and it would be wise for the Packers to have him tag along when wooing potential free agent signees.

I like your Woodson idea!

#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:12:41 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

I like your Woodson idea too, but not the idea that cold winters or whatever are much of a factor for free agents. It certainly doesn't mean the Packers need to pay more, and the strong hope for playoffs/Super Bowl/Ring ought to mean maybe we get players for a little bit less.

All I meant about costing more money is the obvious: more ability for all teams means more likelihood somebody will pay bigger money - essentially what you said - it neither helps nor hurts. That's assuming Thompson understands the need to go up as the market price goes up - which he certainly should.

Offline DoddPower  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:49:39 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I like your Woodson idea too, but not the idea that cold winters or whatever are much of a factor for free agents. It certainly doesn't mean the Packers need to pay more, and the strong hope for playoffs/Super Bowl/Ring ought to mean maybe we get players for a little bit less.

All I meant about costing more money is the obvious: more ability for all teams means more likelihood somebody will pay bigger money - essentially what you said - it neither helps nor hurts. That's assuming Thompson understands the need to go up as the market price goes up - which he certainly should.

If a player could make the same amount of money to live in San Diego or Green Bay, I think many players would strongly lean towards San Diego. Who could blame them, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and the weather is amazing. It's a much bigger city, so there is much more to do. There's definitely a reason why Aaron Rodgers calls the place home in the off season. The Chargers are annual playoff contenders, too, although not really Super Bowl contenders. But the Packers haven't been lately, either.

I think location has a huge impact on players decisions. Yes, being the best and achieving the pinnacle of your business is a great thing, but there are probably many of us on this very forum that are happy just to have a good job that meets their needs. Some of us aren't willing to do everything it takes to be the absolute best at what they do. After all, for some, there is more to life than just work. I have no doubt several NFL players feel that same way, whether it's in the best interest of their careers, or not. Ultimately, it's just a job.

Offline gbguy20  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:44:12 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

jarius byrd turned down a 4 year 38.5 million dollar contract from the bills

that would have made him the leagues highest paid safety

guess we're not getting him.

my dreams are crushed.

plz resign shields :(
call me Dan
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:13:41 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
If a player could make the same amount of money to live in San Diego or Green Bay, I think many players would strongly lean towards San Diego. Who could blame them, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and the weather is amazing. It's a much bigger city, so there is much more to do. There's definitely a reason why Aaron Rodgers calls the place home in the off season. The Chargers are annual playoff contenders, too, although not really Super Bowl contenders. But the Packers haven't been lately, either.

I think location has a huge impact on players decisions. Yes, being the best and achieving the pinnacle of your business is a great thing, but there are probably many of us on this very forum that are happy just to have a good job that meets their needs. Some of us aren't willing to do everything it takes to be the absolute best at what they do. After all, for some, there is more to life than just work. I have no doubt several NFL players feel that same way, whether it's in the best interest of their careers, or not. Ultimately, it's just a job.

It's possible you are right, but I don't think most players are that shallow. A Great Man once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing". Things may have changed in a half century or so, but I find it hard to believe nice weather trumps that. The Chargers aren't quite as "annual" as the Packers. And as Aaron Rodgers knows, there is always the off-season. Somehow, I don't think Ol' Vince would care for your "just a job" comment either.

Offline musccy  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:29:58 PM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
jarius byrd turned down a 4 year 38.5 million dollar contract from the bills

that would have made him the leagues highest paid safety

guess we're not getting him.

my dreams are crushed.

plz resign shields :(

Ouch. Well Ward apparently doesn't want to resign with Cleveland. I'm not sure that he's the answer, but might be cheaper.

Offline sschind  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:32:23 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post

IMO for the majority of free agents the top 5 priorities are:

1 money
2 more money
3 contender
4 team (could mean city they play in)
5 money

The majority of the time they will take the most money. If contract offers are equal a player might opt for a contender. If two contenders offer the same amount they may take the actual teams into consideration.

As far as the cap going up meaning it may be more difficult to sign Shields I could see it being a factor. Yeah each teams cap went up by the same amount but if Cleveland now has an extra 8 million they may be more inclined to throw an extra couple at Sam and if the Packers are only set to pay a certain amount the extra may put his number out of reach of what Ted Thompson is willing to pay.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
texaspackerbacker on 3/4/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:48:01 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

The majority of the time they will take the most money. If contract offers are equal a player might opt for a contender. If two contenders offer the same amount they may take the actual teams into consideration.

This is my main point. All things equal, a team like Green Bay will generally have to pay more for many (or most) players than a "more desirable" team. The current difference between the Chargers and the Packers isn't nearly as great as some of us would like to think right now. Even "bad" weather cities like Seattle or San Francisco are likely more desirable than Green Bay to many. There's a reason multiple free agents talk about wanting to play for Seattle (James Jones and J. Finley come to mind). It's a great team, and in a pretty great city. That's a pretty sweet deal to still be paid millions of dollars. Most of those guys are going to get paid millions of dollars anywhere they go. I agree most players will take the money first and foremost, but I don't think many would take $500,000 extra dollars or something small like that to come to Green Bay if they had an option to go to somewhere they perceived to be better. Of course, there are always exceptions, but with the case of Green Bay, I think they are just that: exceptions.

If I was a player, I would try to get the most money I could on the best team I could. If the salary difference between two relatively similar teams was only 5-10%, I'm pretty sure I would factor in location. Aaron Rodgers knows he always has the off season to be in San Diego, but that means for a good chunk of the year, he's essentially away from his home. Why do something like that if you don't have to? Find a good enough situation and home can be where the team is, much like several players do with Green Bay.

It's great if a player eats, sleeps, and breaths their job. But for many, their life outside of work has to factor in some. I'm sure it does for most everyone on this forum. Why would we think it would be so much different for NFL players? For the exceptions, sure, but not for all.
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:57:46 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,376

Doesn't it really come down to whether or not Green Bay would even entertain the player that only wants to get paid? Charles Woodson didn't want to come to Green Bay, but by doing so, he found out he was one hell of a football player, again! I'm sure he will consider it one of the greatest turning points in his career.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed