Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:08:22 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

TotalPackers wrote:
The Green Bay Packers have been trying to re-sign cornerback Sam Shields, but apparently not hard enough. Shields plans to test the free agent market.

I'm gonna question Ted on this move if it happens.

Not very often that I don't go with the flow and go with Ted's decision, but if The Packers could have signed Shields, and they didn't, it just might come back to bite them in the ass.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:15:46 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post

Not very often that I don't go with the flow and go with Ted's decision, but if The Packers could have signed Shields, and they didn't, it just might come back to bite them in the ass.

I put this more on Rosenhaus. They may have leaked the idea that Sam would settle for $5mil, to make Ted look like an asshole if Sam gets offered more elsewhere.

Don't trust Drew. I trust Ted.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DarkaneRules  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:23:10 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Story should read Drew Rosenhaus to test the market.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:23:35 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

The only way Shields will resign with the Packers is if he wants to. There is nothing Ted Thompson can do to make him sign. It sounds like he wants to see what he can get. There is no way you can put that on Ted. Hopefully he at least gives the Packers a chance to match whatever offer he gets.

Now if it comes out that he would have signed for 5.6 million and Ted Thompson wouldn't cough it up that's a different story. Right now we have no way of knowing what, if anything, the Packers have offered or how much Shields is asking for.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 3/1/2014(UTC), musccy on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:24:26 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Just tag his ass and use the $11M towards his signing bonus. This shit isn't that difficult. Either the Packers want him, or they're comfortable with the younger guys to take over. It the Packers want Shields, he isn't going anywhere.
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:08:35 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Based on the most recent history I wouldn't immediately blame Ted Thompson for anything. The guy supposedly initially offered Greg Jennings a good deal more than he ended up getting. He supposedly offered Raji more than he will probably end up getting. He gave more than fair deals to Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett. Not to mention Hawk. He doesn't really seem to "lowball" his own players so if there are issues with signing Sam it's probably got more to do with Sam(or his agent).
thanks Post received 9 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/1/2014(UTC), dhazer on 3/1/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 3/1/2014(UTC), cheeseheads123 on 3/1/2014(UTC), sschind on 3/1/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 3/1/2014(UTC), gbguy20 on 3/1/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/1/2014(UTC), musccy on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:12:59 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Received: 203

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Based on the most recent history I wouldn't immediately blame Ted Thompson for anything. The guy supposedly initially offered Greg Jennings a good deal more than he ended up getting. He supposedly offered Raji more than he will probably end up getting. He gave more than fair deals to Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett. Not to mention Hawk. He doesn't really seem to "lowball" his own players so if there are issues with signing Sam it's probably got more to do with Sam(or his agent).

The thing is can you blame Sam for going for the money? What would you do if you could. take the 1st offer you get or shop around? What is holding him to Green Bay? I seen one person say he has a better chance at getting a ring here than in Cleveland, but last I checked he has a ring already and he played for dirt cheap. Time to go after money and secure his future after football.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 3/1/2014(UTC), wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:51:31 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
The thing is can you blame Sam for going for the money? What would you do if you could. take the 1st offer you get or shop around? What is holding him to Green Bay? I seen one person say he has a better chance at getting a ring here than in Cleveland, but last I checked he has a ring already and he played for dirt cheap. Time to go after money and secure his future after football.

Seems like for Greg Jennings that would have been the highest offer. Probably Raji too. I don't have a problem with Sam betting on himself in the open market a lot of guys do that. All I'm saying is there's no reason to believe that Ted is being cheap with him. Hitting FA instead of taking the 1st offer doesn't guarantee you more money.
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:30:12 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 484

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post

Ya I gotta agree. At this point, he's already got his ring and he's playing with house money at this point.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:48:52 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

At this point, it's all speculation. We don't know what's in Shields' mind, or Thompson's for that matter.

What we can say is that given the cap situation and the existence of creative financing, the Packers have the ability to make him a decent high-end offer that it would be ridiculous for some other team to beat. What we can probably also say is that Shields does not have any reason to be negative about staying with the Packers if the money is equal.

I tend to agree with some that we could get by as a winning team without Shields. On the other hand, nobody can deny that the Packers are a helluva lot better off with him.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:18:35 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

The Browns are reported to be very interested in Sam Shields, they have a lot of cap money also.

Only takes ONE team to decide to throw 9-10 mil(a year) at Sam and who can blame him if he takes it.

My stance all along was to get Sam signed BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Even if The Packers had to move into the 6-7 mil range to do it.

Just seems Ted has decided to let Sam test the waters, and I have a bad feeling, The Browns or someone else will snatch him away.

One of the articles I read was talking about the Absolutely never used in The NFL, "sign and trade".

The Browns already have 2 1st rnd picks, so how about signing Sam Shields then Trade him and our 1st rnd pick for The Browns 1st picK(#4).

Would having the #4 pick overall in the draft be enough to offset the loss of Sam?

I say no, but if it looks like they are going to lose him anyway, why not give it a shot?
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:04:50 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

The Browns are reported to be very interested in Sam Shields, they have a lot of cap money also.

Only takes ONE team to decide to throw 9-10 mil(a year) at Sam and who can blame him if he takes it.

My stance all along was to get Sam signed BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Even if The Packers had to move into the 6-7 mil range to do it.

Just seems Ted has decided to let Sam test the waters, and I have a bad feeling, The Browns or someone else will snatch him away.

One of the articles I read was talking about the Absolutely never used in The NFL, "sign and trade".

The Browns already have 2 1st rnd picks, so how about signing Sam Shields then Trade him and our 1st rnd pick for The Browns 1st picK(#4).

Would having the #4 pick overall in the draft be enough to offset the loss of Sam?

I say no, but if it looks like they are going to lose him anyway, why not give it a shot?

That's a pipe dream Buckeye. Now what would make feel better is landing Orakpo, Byrd, or Ward in free agency.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker on 3/2/2014(UTC)
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:29:52 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post

Take the facts as you cite them: Thompson offered that much to Jennings; Thompson offered that much/anything at all to Raji; Thompson signed Brad Jones; And you don't want to blame him for any of that? Examples of not low-balling, yes - which hopefully means he will get the job done to retain Shields, but three horrible examples of bad judgment - thankfully only one of which - Jones - has harmed the team.

Offline gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:00:19 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
That's a pipe dream Buckeye. Now what would make feel better is landing Orakpo, Byrd, or Ward in free agency.

byrd will be testing free agency :)
call me Dan
Offline cheeseheads123  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:31:28 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 117

Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:56:59 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

shields
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:31:52 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

If Cleveland really wants to pay Shields 7 or 8 million, they can have him and we'll move on. Just frees up all our money for other players. We'll just be drafting a corner with one of our top three picks and hope Hayward, House, and Hyde can step up. Shields is not worth that kind of coin, and we should be happy for him and appreciate his contributions to our championship and those awesome wins in Soldier Field.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:27:51 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?

Verner is better.

Shields is a good player, but he's not consistent enough to be great. He’s still young, so he could develop into a great player, but I haven’t seen him sustain success. I don’t trust him on an island against an elite receiver. He needs help, which rather defeats the purpose of paying him top dollar.

Now, I absolutely want Green Bay to re-sign him, but I don’t think losing him would be a crushing blow. Frankly, my preference is to prioritize Jermichael Finley over Shields.

Zero2Cool on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:19:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:29:09 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.

$8M a year for Grimes? What the hell is Seattle going to have to pay Sherman? We have pretty decent corners behind Shields. Let's use the money strengthening other positions. Maybe renegotiating Tramon's contract to lock him up for another 3 years is in the cards too.
UserPostedImage
#21 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 3:30:18 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
$8M a year for Grimes? What the hell is Seattle going to have to pay Sherman? We have pretty decent corners behind Shields. Let's use the money strengthening other positions. Maybe renegotiating Tramon's contract to lock him up for another 3 years is in the cards too.

I think this sets the market for Shields at about $7 million per year, and that's still a bargain. Grimes is 4 years older and no better. Sherman is damn good, but he has the advantage of playing on a team with a lot more pass rush. I'm not so sure he's worth much more than Shields.

5 years for $35 million sounds about right. We can save $4-5 million or more by redoing Tramon's contract, and Shields' first year cap number should be no more, maybe even less than that if they handle the bonus right.

Offline dhazer  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 4:02:01 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Received: 203

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers are trying to re-sign impending free-agent CB Sam Shields to a contract worth less than $6 million a season.
Comment | Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw...e=3#sthash.whLqVtWK.dpuf
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#23 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 4:24:35 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Grimes deal was for 4 yrs 32 mil, with and here it is, 16MIL GUARANTEED.

Ted still has until March 8th to make Shields an offer, but reports are now saying Sam and his agent have cut off negotiations and are going to test FA.

To bad Ted let this one play out, Shields all but gone.

Browns have 96+Mil to spend, watch and see if they don't throw a bunch Sams way, and you can't blame him when he takes it.

Gonna be interesting though just how much guaranteed money he gets, Agents like Rosenhaus are going to try and inflate his clients contract, because he gets his % whether the player gets paid the whole amount or not.

Sam could sign a 4yr 44 million dollar contract, but if only 14 million is guaranteed, well that's just about all that contract is worth.

Getting ready for silent Ted until around March 18th.

Offline Cheesey  
#24 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 5:10:06 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 439

I wish they could make these players sign with small amounts and make it with big money in incentives. Make them EARN the "big bucks".

I hope we can keep him, as our D is horrible with him and would be even worse without him.

But once again the over inflated ego will probably prevail.
UserPostedImage
#25 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:19:33 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
I wish they could make these players sign with small amounts and make it with big money in incentives. Make them EARN the "big bucks".

I hope we can keep him, as our D is horrible with him and would be even worse without him.

But once again the over inflated ego will probably prevail.

You can't do that, of course, unless everybody does that, and agreeing that way would be collusion or something like that - not legal.

The Miami/Grimes contract seems to mean the Dolphins have a lot of cap room, and are front loading the contract. Cleveland might be in that situation too, I don't know. A confident/younger player maybe would prefer a longer term higher dollar contract - thinking that he will stay at the top of his game for the duration of the contract. Just because a player COULD be cut the last year or two of a contract doesn't mean he WILL be cut, and he could use that contract to parlay it into an advantageous restructured deal. Tramon may do something like that; Champ Bailey with Denver too. If I was Shields, I think I'd be thinking more that way than "get the guaranteed money cuz I'm probably gonna get hurt or slow down".

Rss Feed