texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
What, no thread yet? WTG, Ted. This is indeed good news. 5 or 6 years would have maybe been better news - making the cap number even less, but as was said, there's plenty of money.

Don't go to sleep yet, Ted. You still have a lot to do before Tuesday afternoon - a couple more of our own, and maybe that Safety we need so badly.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

The Packers made CB Sam Shields a priority in free agency and they did not mess around, agreeing on a four-year deal with the veteran before he was able to sign with another team.

JSOnline  wrote:

3/8/2014: Signed a four-year, $39 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus.

2014: $2.5 million,
2015: $3.1 million,
2016: $2.5 million,
2017: $3.1 million,
2018: Free Agent
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
This makes sense. He's fast enough to run with this freaking beasts they got for WRs these days
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
dfosterf
10 years ago
He had us over a barrel. We got butt-fucked on this deal. We will lose players because of it. I'm a Sam Shields fan, but this was very expensive.

steveishere
10 years ago

He had us over a barrel. We got butt-fucked on this deal. We will lose players because of it. I'm a Sam Shields fan, but this was very expensive.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

It's not that bad with the way it's structured. He'll cost like 5m against the cap this year and 9 the next year. Years 3 and 4 it goes up to 12 but if he's not playing up to standards then he can be cut/restructured with minimal cap consequences.

Essentially it's an investment on him continuing to improve to become a top CB and if he doesn't we can just dump him after paying 12m over 2 years.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
glad the deal is done. Sure wish it was a little less expensive.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
4 yrs 39 mil 12.5mil signing bonus
12.5 / 4 = 3.125

15 mil after 2014

20 mil after 2015

2014 cap hit 5.625mil - base salary 2.5 mil (pro-rated bonus 3.125)

2015 cap hit 8.125mil - base salary 5mil (pro-rated bonus 3.125)

2016 cap hit 13.125mil - base salary 10 mil (pro rated bonus 3.125)

2017 cap hit 12.125mil - base salary 9mil(pro rated bonus 3.125)

This is a 2 year deal PERIOD.

2016 and 2017 is just agent "window dressing"

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

4 yrs 39 mil 12.5mil signing bonus
12.5 / 4 = 3.125

15 mil after 2014

20 mil after 2015

2014 cap hit 5.625mil - base salary 2.5 mil (pro-rated bonus 3.125)

2015 cap hit 8.125mil - base salary 5mil (pro-rated bonus 3.125)

2016 cap hit 13.125mil - base salary 10 mil (pro rated bonus 3.125)

2017 cap hit 12.125mil - base salary 9mil(pro rated bonus 3.125)

This is a 2 year deal PERIOD.

2016 and 2017 is just agent "window dressing"

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

better be because.. thats a lot o $$$ in our CBs

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

better be because.. thats a lot o $$$ in our CBs

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Will be interesting when the final details come out just how the Packers pro-rate the 12.5 mil signing bonus.

I don't think there is anything that says they have to spread it out equally over the length of the contract.

With the cap space available this year The Packers could apply all of the bonus to the 1st 2 years.

The only thing that has been announced it that Sam will be paid 15mil this year, jumps to 20 mil through 2015 and 30 mil after 2016.

The contract could look something like this.

2014 cap hit 10.5 mil 2.5mil base salary(8mil pro rated bonus)
2015 cap hit 9.5 mil 5mil base salary(4.5mil pro rated bonus)
2016 cap hit 10mil base salary 10mil
2017 cap hit 9mil base salary 9mil

What that would do is eliminate any "dead money" the last 2 years of the contract enabling The Packers to either cut ties with Sam after the 1st 2 years or hopefully he continues to improve and earn his money and The Packers could easily extend him after 2015 converting his base salary into "bonus signing money" and then spreading that money out over 4 or 5 years.

Tricky business, can you imagine having to do this for 53 guys, while always looking 2 to 3 years in the future.

I still say that The Packers and Tramon Williams will announce some kind of extension lowering his 9.5mil cap hit this year and doing just what I described above.

Tramon expressed the need for veteran players at the end of the year, he is one guy who could really help out The Packers as an organization to free up more money to either bring back their own vet FA's or sign a couple UFA's who hit the market Tuesday.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
10 years ago

Will be interesting when the final details come out just how the Packers pro-rate the 12.5 mil signing bonus.

I don't think there is anything that says they have to spread it out equally over the length of the contract.

With the cap space available this year The Packers could apply all of the bonus to the 1st 2 years.

The only thing that has been announced it that Sam will be paid 15mil this year, jumps to 20 mil through 2015 and 30 mil after 2016.

The contract could look something like this.

2014 cap hit 10.5 mil 2.5mil base salary(8mil pro rated bonus)
2015 cap hit 9.5 mil 5mil base salary(4.5mil pro rated bonus)
2016 cap hit 10mil base salary 10mil
2017 cap hit 9mil base salary 9mil

What that would do is eliminate any "dead money" the last 2 years of the contract enabling The Packers to either cut ties with Sam after the 1st 2 years or hopefully he continues to improve and earn his money and The Packers could easily extend him after 2015 converting his base salary into "bonus signing money" and then spreading that money out over 4 or 5 years.

Tricky business, can you imagine having to do this for 53 guys, while always looking 2 to 3 years in the future.

I still say that The Packers and Tramon Williams will announce some kind of extension lowering his 9.5mil cap hit this year and doing just what I described above.

Tramon expressed the need for veteran players at the end of the year, he is one guy who could really help out The Packers as an organization to free up more money to either bring back their own vet FA's or sign a couple UFA's who hit the market Tuesday.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I am not sure but I don't think a signing bonus can be pro rated any other way than equally over the length of the deal (or 5 year.) They could have made part of it a guaranteed roster bonus for this season or something like that to take some of the dead money out but it was listed as a SB so I think it has to be spread out equally.

I agree with you Williams. I think he restructures to lessen his cap impact.

I also agree with your earlier post about this being essentially a 2 year deal. We will be looking to restructure then just like we will with Williams this year. Convert some or all of the salary the SB and spread it out. I'm guessing the 2017 salary will become totally irrelevant.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.