DakotaT
10 years ago

This was one necessary signing IMO. Shields has been really good for us, and I believe he will only get better. Glad to see this done, even at that high a price.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Completely agree! It's bad enough to have that gaping hole at safety, losing Shields would have decimated our secondary.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

Completely agree! It's bad enough to have that gaping hole at safety, losing Shields would have decimated our secondary.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Don't get me wrong, I would have been upset if he walked elsewhere, however, recent Packers re-signings haven't worked out so well. Finley, ARod, and CM3 have all been very pricey to retain, and collectively have missed about half of the games since their reworked deal.

We're about to have roughly 50 million tied up in just 4 players (ARod, CM3, Shields, and Tramon).

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You do realize that if he signed for longer and feels he out performed his contract that he'd probably hold out again like he attempted the year prior? Especially if the projected salary cap increases are even remotely accurate.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Holding out when your salary is in the hundreds of thousands, and you see guys no better getting $5-10 million is one thing. Holding out when your salary is near the upper end of that $5-10 million range because others are getting $12-14 million (we're talking a few years from now) is a very different thing.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Texas is a "wish he could have been" a capitalist. He does not believe the Packers should have to pay or overpay for their players. We are just suppose to get everybody on the cheap. When I saw what Brent Grimes got, I knew Shields would be getting what the Packers paid for him. I just never thought it would be the Packers paying him that. I'm pretty thrown back by this signing, and happy about it.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

What gave you that idea? I'm advocating as much as anybody that we pay what it takes to get top level talent - whether it's what we already have or from other teams. I'm all for paying what it took to sign Shields, and I wish it would have been longer term so we don't have the same situation in 4 years. After the Rodgers and Matthews deals, I don't know why this one surprises you. Get a top level free agent Safety, and that will be my happy surprise.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I would have been upset if he walked elsewhere, however, recent Packers re-signings haven't worked out so well. Finley, ARod, and CM3 have all been very pricey to retain, and collectively have missed about half of the games since their reworked deal.

We're about to have roughly 50 million tied up in just 4 players (ARod, CM3, Shields, and Tramon).

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Where do you get that $50 million figure? I count about $10-12 against the cap for Rodgers, $6 or so for Matthews, $5+ for Shields, and $8-9 for Tramon. That's in the $30 million range. The first three are well worth it, and Tramon probably will be restructured or even cut, saving at least $5-6 million.

sschind
10 years ago

Good thoughtful reply. I didn't know that about not prorating a bonus beyond five years. I'll take your word for it.

I still think, as good as the news of signing him is, we will regret in four years that the deal wasn't for longer. I really don't see Shields declining in four years or less.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I'm not sure when they changed it and I just found out about it a few months back by accident. I think it was to prevent things like 30 million dollar signing bonuses on 8 year contracts and the like which is what really got teams in hot water when players started sucking after 4 years. I think they kind of did it to protect teams from themselves. Now they have to offer more things like roster bonuses and workout bonuses and such which are not necessarily guaranteed.

I really don't think you are going to be seeing a whole lot of 6 year deals any more. The way things are set up players want to try to get in more than 1 decent deal after their rookie contracts and teams see too many careers dip after 4 years so they don't want to be hamstrung by the last 2 years. Make it a 4 maybe 5 year deal and if the guy is still playing up to high standards extend him after 3 or 4. If not take your chances with letting him hit FA. I think you will see a lot more players reaching free agency but I also think you will be seeing a lot more players eventually returning to their teams.

I also think the possibility of a 160 million dollar cap in a couple of years played into Sam's deal as well. If it balloons to that it will be much easier to keep him with his 12 million dollar hit in years 3 and 4.

musccy
10 years ago

Where do you get that $50 million figure? I count about $10-12 against the cap for Rodgers, $6 or so for Matthews, $5+ for Shields, and $8-9 for Tramon. That's in the $30 million range. The first three are well worth it, and Tramon probably will be restructured or even cut, saving at least $5-6 million.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014 

If you can trust this site then you have 17.9, 10.9, and 9.5 (Tramon) in 2014. To my knowledge, we don't know the official figures on Shields yet, but obviously it's a 10 average so that puts you in the ballpark of 48.3mil out of 133 mil, so about 36%.

You're right about what may happen with Tramon, but with Cobb and Jordy on the horizon, this organization is presumably about to tie up a load of money in just a few pieces, even if Byrd/Ward aren't signed!

Zero2Cool
10 years ago
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/ 

Rodgers $17.9 million
Matthews $10,943,750
Tramon $9.5

Posted this earlier from rotoworld

3/8/2014: Signed a four-year, $39 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus.

2014: $2.5 million,
2015: $3.1 million,
2016: $2.5 million,
2017: $3.1 million,
2018: Free Agent

Those figures only include about $23.7 million. Not sure where the $15.3 million went.

BRB gonna check my bank account.

Edit, dammit, no. not there
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

If you can trust this site then you have 17.9, 10.9, and 9.5 (Tramon) in 2014. To my knowledge, we don't know the official figures on Shields yet, but obviously it's a 10 average so that puts you in the ballpark of 48.3mil out of 133 mil, so about 36%.

You're right about what may happen with Tramon, but with Cobb and Jordy on the horizon, this organization is presumably about to tie up a load of money in just a few pieces, even if Byrd/Ward aren't signed!

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I think Shields is around 5 or 6m for 2014 plus we had the 10m carry over making our cap around 143m this year. Looking at other teams around 40m invested in the top 4 players doesn't really seem uncommon or anything.
sschind
10 years ago

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/

Rodgers $17.9 million
Matthews $10,943,750
Tramon $9.5

Posted this earlier from rotoworld

3/8/2014: Signed a four-year, $39 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus.

2014: $2.5 million,
2015: $3.1 million,
2016: $2.5 million,
2017: $3.1 million,
2018: Free Agent

Those figures only include about $23.7 million. Not sure where the $15.3 million went.

BRB gonna check my bank account.

Edit, dammit, no. not there

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I thought I read that his cap hit in 2016 and 2017 would be about 12.1 million. That would make his salary about 9 million although I recall seeing that 2.5 and 3.1 as well. I think it was just a typo, they cut an pasted the 2014 and 2015 salaries.

its not in my account either.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (11h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.