Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
If the Packers fix one glaring problem in free agency, that's one less problem they have to solve by draft-and-develop.

Not counting the OL (where everyone is tired of my opinion anyway), I see five starter positions of substantial need right now. In no particular order, these are:

Safety
Inside linebacker
Nose tackle
Tight end
Defensive end

Do people seriously think this draft is so deep that all of these can be taken care of through the draft or "re-signing Packer FAs"? TE, maybe can be done by re-signing Finley and/or Quarless (though I'd be fairly surprised at either happening) and still I'm a big fan of letting Lattimore seriously compete at ILB.

But IMO there is no way the Packers get their problems solved in one year's draft, no matter how "deep" it is.

Yes, there's always the possibility that a big name like Byrd will end up like Joe Johnson, rather than ending up like Reggie White, Ryan Pickett, or Charles Woodson.

But, IMO, right now the non-OL part of the team has between three and five starters who are not much better contributors than Joe Johnson ended up being. And if no one from other teams is signed via FA or trade, the non-OL parts of the team will enter the 2014 season with at least two starters making Joe Johnson-quality contributions.

Even if no one gets hurt this year.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Why not? Is it just because he wants so much money? Having enough money to get him is not the problem. We could if we wanted to and it wouldn't even really put us in a bind.

Is it because he is not good enough because he is probably the surest, quickest fix. Drafted D-backs usually don't shine right away.

Is it because FAs tend to not live up to their hype? Yeah, a lot of them don't but sometimes you have to say what the hell and go for it. We need a safety and if we got Byrd our secondary would improve dramatically.

Resign Shields get Byrd, sign a mid tier FA LB and draft a D-lineman (Louis Nix) and that right there goes a long way toward fixing our problems. Even if Byrd takes too much money to sign the mid tier LB then you draft one. either way its a major improvement with just 4 moves.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

All of the above.

Signing Byrd would put both safeties in the top 10 on the Packers salary roll. Is safety that important that you dedicate that much to 2 of your players? Conventional wisdom says 'No'. Would it put us in a bind today? No. Is signing Byrd to big money more important than Jordy extension, Bulaga extension (maybe), EDS or a TE? I don't think so. My opinion.

The Second most expensive position in the NFL is typically OT. The Packers do not have one in their top 10. That will change soon. Would you rather protect ARod or go cheap and double up on S? Keeping ARod upright is probably our best Defensive strategy!

If you just look at the numbers:
Byrd 2013- 48 tackles, 1 Sack, 4 Int, 6 PasDef
Jennings 2013- 74 Tackles, 1 Sack, 0 Int, 1 PasDef
Burnett 2013- 96 Tackles, 0 sack, 0 Int, 6 PasDef
The last 3 years, Byrd's tackles have gone from 98-76-48. Now, it's not like Buffalo has become a Defensive powerhouse and didn't need him. Buffalo was the #28 Rushing Defense. Is he scared to get hurt and lose the big contract? Do we need another player in the Backfield that doesn't tackle? I am not advocating our S were good. Just let's be careful what we wish for.

I see signing Byrd like drafting a Punter in the 1st round. Not worth the money. But it's just my opinion.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I see signing Byrd like drafting a Punter in the 1st round. Not worth the money. But it's just my opinion.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Good stuff, but the portion I cropped out I have say if it's the Packers drafting in the 1st round, I'd rather it be a damn punter because they have to be on the low end of the salary.

I'm still bitter over the crap 1st round luck Packers seem to have.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

If the Packers fix one glaring problem in free agency, that's one less problem they have to solve by draft-and-develop.

Not counting the OL (where everyone is tired of my opinion anyway), I see five starter positions of substantial need right now. In no particular order, these are:

Safety
Inside linebacker
Nose tackle
Tight end
Defensive end

But IMO there is no way the Packers get their problems solved in one year's draft, no matter how "deep" it is

Originally Posted by: Wade 

S - upgrade, but two of the "top" safeties in the draft are projected around the 21st pick
ILB - agreed, upgrade needed
TE - you touched on, this may not be a position of need if we restock from within
DL - Texaspf and I may be the only ones that feel this way, but I actually don't think the Packers are in that bad of shape on the DL. I actually still have a slight glimmer of hope that Raji can not be useless, many see the potential in Daniels, and out of Boyd, Worthy, DJones, you have a core that I feel you can build from.

Just my opinion, but I only see two glaring needs for immediate upgrade, and a few more positions where only moderate upgrade is needed (DL, WR if Jones leaves).
nerdmann
10 years ago

S - upgrade, but two of the "top" safeties in the draft are projected around the 21st pick
ILB - agreed, upgrade needed
TE - you touched on, this may not be a position of need if we restock from within
DL - Texaspf and I may be the only ones that feel this way, but I actually don't think the Packers are in that bad of shape on the DL. I actually still have a slight glimmer of hope that Raji can not be useless, many see the potential in Daniels, and out of Boyd, Worthy, DJones, you have a core that I feel you can build from.

Just my opinion, but I only see two glaring needs for immediate upgrade, and a few more positions where only moderate upgrade is needed (DL, WR if Jones leaves).

Originally Posted by: musccy 

ILB-Barrington could take a step up. If he shows he can cover, then he could be the answer.
TE-Bostick has potential as a passcatching type dude. I'd like to see what Stoneburner can do too. Quarless is who he is and may leave.
DL-I'd like to see them make some moves here.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago
Not sure I'd even call TE a NEED. Yeah, it's nice to have a good pass catcher there but the offense will still run smooth without one. I guess you could say we need to get another receiver whether it be at TE or WR but I wouldn't say it's a very high priority.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Not sure I'd even call TE a NEED. Yeah, it's nice to have a good pass catcher there but the offense will still run smooth without one. I guess you could say we need to get another receiver whether it be at TE or WR but I wouldn't say it's a very high priority.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

We've got Kevin Dorsey. Then there's Chris Harper too, although he's kind of a long shot imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
The only all out necessity is Safety. I doubt Ted will get us Byrd or Ward, but I really wish he would. The money is clearly there to do it.

Any help we get in the D-Line is gravy after Daniels, Worthy, D. Jones, Boyd, and Jolly. I'd like to see us get Allen or one of those others mentioned, but it ain't an urgent need.

A first round pick ILB would be nice too, but Lattimore or maybe Barrington would be upgrades from B. Jones too. No absolute necessity there also.

It's looking more and more like we will go with Perry/Mulumba opposite Matthews - improvement would be nice, but not urgent.

We have endured this mediocre O-Line and still had a first rate offense. Another year of that combined with better defense spells G-R-E-A-T.

Same with WR and TE. I really do hope we retain Quarless, though - the second highest priority after Shields.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

All of the above.

Signing Byrd would put both safeties in the top 10 on the Packers salary roll. Is safety that important that you dedicate that much to 2 of your players? Conventional wisdom says 'No'. Would it put us in a bind today? No. Is signing Byrd to big money more important than Jordy extension, Bulaga extension (maybe), EDS or a TE? I don't think so. My opinion.

The Second most expensive position in the NFL is typically OT. The Packers do not have one in their top 10. That will change soon. Would you rather protect ARod or go cheap and double up on S? Keeping ARod upright is probably our best Defensive strategy!

If you just look at the numbers:
Byrd 2013- 48 tackles, 1 Sack, 4 Int, 6 PasDef
Jennings 2013- 74 Tackles, 1 Sack, 0 Int, 1 PasDef
Burnett 2013- 96 Tackles, 0 sack, 0 Int, 6 PasDef
The last 3 years, Byrd's tackles have gone from 98-76-48. Now, it's not like Buffalo has become a Defensive powerhouse and didn't need him. Buffalo was the #28 Rushing Defense. Is he scared to get hurt and lose the big contract? Do we need another player in the Backfield that doesn't tackle? I am not advocating our S were good. Just let's be careful what we wish for.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Yeah, and Byrd did that in only 11 games... I would like to see what this kid can do on a team with a chance to win it all. Should he come to GB, I think we would have that chance. I don't know how you could not want one of the best Safeties in the NFL on your team. ??? Figure too, it would more than likely make Burnett a better player, having another Safety of Byrd's calibre playing along with him in the Packers secondary.

We had LeRoy Butler, and that didn't stop Ron Wolf from getting Eugene Robinson. That was a huge part of our success, having that quality of Safety play from both players. Collins had Burnett helping him, along with the $11M Charles Woodson. Burnett has had no one since the loss of Collins 3 years ago.

Somehow, when we have 2 good Safeties, we are legit contenders and we win Superbowls.
Pack93z
10 years ago
I don't care if it is Byrd or another veteran.. but I think we need a "mentor" on the backend of this defense.

People say this position or that position are difficult in the NFL.. personally in today's game I don't know a position that would be harder to play than safety. You are getting attacked from every angle and you better be able to diagnosis and react quickly... or have the speed to makeup for a mistake made. Compound that on a team currently that applies little pressure.. it is a losing proposition. Add in the target rules.. spinning heads.

I don't think our safety prospects on this team are bad, but they are short on two things.. experience and elite speed. Without experience they have to try and erase incorrect reads.. and they don't have it in plenty to do so. So they have to rely on experience.. will they be ready this season? Don't know. But I don't think we can gamble that they will be.. hence why I believe they need a guy that can glue them together.. if he has a nose to make plays, all the better.

Even if we hit on a blue chip safety this draft.. I can't believe they will resolve the issues we currently have in the back end.. especially if we can't figure out how to generate more pressure up front.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.