Yerko
10 years ago
This year, more than in the past...I see Packers fans getting more upset about Ted not making any moves in free agency. Clearly, its because we have all witnessed how poor this defense has played the past couple of seasons coupled with the cap increase and the Packers having $33 million available. While we have plenty of our own players to sign (still yet to happen aside from Shields and it will happen with a few others) I thought it was important that Ted and Co. at least go out and grab one *star* player, preferably at safety, to shape this defense up.

...that was until I saw how ridiculous some of these contracts were. Ted doesn't play this game and as a fan, I am happy he doesn't. Some of these teams are strapping themselves down (in the future) because of 1-2 players. Saints signed Byrd to a contract for 6 years and while this year might not have an affect, the upcoming years certainly will.

The only contract that has made me slightly upset so far is the TJ Ward/Broncos contract. Imo, that would have been an absolute steal and helped the Packers immensely at the safety position. 4 years/$23 million, $14 million guaranteed. Maybe the guaranteed money is a bit high but sometimes you have to make that move for a player like that, at that price (compared to what other players are getting). He's young, injury free and can play the position well.

I do agree though with the OP. I like that Ted is sticking to his guns and especially since this is one of the deepest drafts in awhile. There's a good chance we are able to re-sign some of our guys for a little cheaper than they used to be and pick up a couple of day 1 starters in the draft in rounds 1-3.
UserPostedImage
10 years ago

This year, more than in the past...I see Packers fans getting more upset about Ted not making any moves in free agency. Clearly, its because we have all witnessed how poor this defense has played the past couple of seasons coupled with the cap increase and the Packers having $33 million available. While we have plenty of our own players to sign (still yet to happen aside from Shields and it will happen with a few others) I thought it was important that Ted and Co. at least go out and grab one *star* player, preferably at safety, to shape this defense up.

...that was until I saw how ridiculous some of these contracts were. Ted doesn't play this game and as a fan, I am happy he doesn't. Some of these teams are strapping themselves down (in the future) because of 1-2 players. Saints signed Byrd to a contract for 6 years and while this year might not have an affect, the upcoming years certainly will.

The only contract that has made me slightly upset so far is the TJ Ward/Broncos contract. Imo, that would have been an absolute steal and helped the Packers immensely at the safety position. 4 years/$23 million, $14 million guaranteed. Maybe the guaranteed money is a bit high but sometimes you have to make that move for a player like that, at that price (compared to what other players are getting). He's young, injury free and can play the position well.

I do agree though with the OP. I like that Ted is sticking to his guns and especially since this is one of the deepest drafts in awhile. There's a good chance we are able to re-sign some of our guys for a little cheaper than they used to be and pick up a couple of day 1 starters in the draft in rounds 1-3.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I couldn't agree more.

The only two that were upsetting for me were the TJ Ward and Stevie Brown contracts.
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I agree. And you would think we would have learned something from last year. Bad running game. Everyone screaming about Stephen Jackson. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Drafts Lacy. Becomes OROY. Running game solved. Fans happy. Just another day for TT.

Now, bad defense. (Not the first year for that though). Fans clamoring to sign old, injured, expensive Free Agents. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Man, I am excited for the draft!!!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I agree. And you would think we would have learned something from last year. Bad running game. Everyone screaming about Stephen Jackson. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Drafts Lacy. Becomes OROY. Running game solved. Fans happy. Just another day for TT.

Now, bad defense. (Not the first year for that though). Fans clamoring to sign old, injured, expensive Free Agents. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Man, I am excited for the draft!!!

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Linebacker - Inside especially, Outside secondarily, yeah, I agree, but Safety, no. A proven veteran is what we need. Neither Ward - gone now - nor Byrd are chronic injury problems. Drafting a Safety and starting him would help down the road if the guy was good, but for this year, we need to fill that hole with an experienced but still talented veteran.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
steveishere
10 years ago
I've never been a huge fan of the megadeal free agency. I won't complain over some starter level competition signings though at reasonable prices. I think you have to rely on the draft to get your playmakers and such. If we just had some good health for once everything would be fine lol.
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago
How much is reasonable to spend to repair a cracked windshield on a car with a blown engine?

When did we see the best Safety play in recent years? Was it coincidentally when our DL was the best? Is Jairus Byrd so good that he can provide pass coverage for 3,4, 5+ seconds? And step up to make TFL on every running play?

We are potentially losing 3 DL that accounted for 40 of the possible 48 starts in 2013. And they weren't very good starts. Who is going to step up and log those starts? That is way more important to me than blowing big money on a S. No S can cover up for bad DL play.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
If we don't go out and spend some money in FA, what are we going to do with it? Even with Shields done. We have tons of space and along with the new CBA came a minimum cap. There is an amount of cap money we must spend. We could get ahead and do both Nelson and Cobb this year, but that will just leave us with huge cap space next year to deal with again.

We need a pass rush and there is far from a guarantee that what we have will be able to get that done. Would live for Matthews to come back 100% of what he was in the past, love for Perry and the rest to turn in to beasts on the line. But I'm not willing to bet the house on it (and it aint even a great house).

Just don't see inhouse players to justify getting paid enough to eat our cap space.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

If this draft does not rock. I think the D is in for another crap year.

Too many holes.

Too many players not producing.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
DoddPower
10 years ago

If this draft does not rock. I think the D is in for another crap year.

Too many holes.

Too many players not producing.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Exactly. Ted Thompson gambles as much on the draft as other GM's gamble on free agency. It doesn't have to be all one way or another. There is a reasonable middle ground, at least for some teams. Ted and staff simply haven't been drafting good enough lately to only rely on the draft. He had better have a GREAT draft class this year, and have multiple young players take the next step. It's certainly possible, but it would make me nervous as a GM.
porky88
10 years ago
There’s a big gap between going on a free-agent spending spree and just boycotting the process altogether, which is what the Packers have done for the last several off-seasons. Personally, I’d prefer the Packers to settle in the middle.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.