buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I'm not sure I'd make him into Brad Jones II (since he has, IMO, shown bigger flashes than Jones ever did). But, on the other hand, I'm not sure he's shown anywhere near enough flashes to justify excitement. He's a guy. Good backup quality I suppose. Not someone worth betting a "potential grow into high quality starter" pot on.

They need more than Mike Neal signings if they really want to improve the D above mediocrity. All they've done with the Neal signing (and, for that matter any signing of defense players that doesn't go beyond last year's roster) is demonstrate that they're not willing to get any worse than they were last year.

Not enough.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Here are the FA's left, who do you want?
Who on this list is going to make The Packers better?
The 2nd day of FA isn't over yet.

Everyone pretty much knew Ted wasn't going to sign anyone day 1.
(Sam Shields but I guess he doesn't count) ?
(Mike Neal day 2 again he doesn't count) ?
Can we be a little patient?

The longer these guys stay unsigned the cheaper they will come.

FYI, I have no problem bringing Raji back at 4 mil for 1 year, he either gets his shit together or he will be gone, but looking at the list, not much improvement can be made.

Jolly and Pickett both will be more valuable as proven vets.

Pickett isn't what he used to be, but rotate him with Jolly instead of playing them side by side with one of them playing out of position is a real probable option.

The days of the Datone Jones's and Josh Boyd's is here, but it's always good to have those proven vets to make the transition a little smoother.

16. Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.
18. Giants defensive end Justin Tuck.
24. Packers defensive end B.J. Raji.
40. Bears defensive end Corey Wootton.
51. Texans defensive end Antonio Smith.
64. Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood.
77. Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers.
88. Lions defensive end Willie Young.
C.J. Wilson

29. Dolphins defensive tackle Randy Starks.
32. Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton.
36. Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher.
80. Seahawks defensive tackle Clinton McDonald.
84. Texans defensive tackle Earl Mitchell.
93. Raiders defensive tackle Pat Sims.
96. Seahawks defensive tackle Tony McDaniel.
98. Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas.
Johnny Jolly
Ryan Pickett
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
I'd like to see the amount his signing is for, but this is a signing we pretty much needed to have. We are way to thin in the defensive trenches. He is flexible in the defense being able to play both OLB and DE. He was much better in run support than Perry was on the edge. According to Rotoworld, he led the team in QB hurries last season.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Hes obviously better than mulumba and palmer so yeah he improves the team

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Okay, he improves the team from where it was before he was signed. Fine.

He does *NOT* improve the team from where it was 0:01 before the 2013 season ended.

Sheesh.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Here are the FA's left, who do you want?
Who on this list is going to make The Packers better?
The 2nd day of FA isn't over yet.

Everyone pretty much knew Ted wasn't going to sign anyone day 1.
(Sam Shields but I guess he doesn't count) ?
(Mike Neal day 2 again he doesn't count) ?
Can we be a little patient?

The longer these guys stay unsigned the cheaper they will come.

FYI, I have no problem bringing Raji back at 4 mil for 1 year, he either gets his shit together or he will be gone, but looking at the list, not much improvement can be made.

Jolly and Pickett both will be more valuable as proven vets.

Pickett isn't what he used to be, but rotate him with Jolly instead of playing them side by side with one of them playing out of position is a real probable option.

The days of the Datone Jones's and Josh Boyd's is here, but it's always good to have those proven vets to make the transition a little smoother.

16. Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.
18. Giants defensive end Justin Tuck.
24. Packers defensive end B.J. Raji.
40. Bears defensive end Corey Wootton.
51. Texans defensive end Antonio Smith.
64. Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood.
77. Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers.
88. Lions defensive end Willie Young.
C.J. Wilson

29. Dolphins defensive tackle Randy Starks.
32. Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton.
36. Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher.
80. Seahawks defensive tackle Clinton McDonald.
84. Texans defensive tackle Earl Mitchell.
93. Raiders defensive tackle Pat Sims.
96. Seahawks defensive tackle Tony McDaniel.
98. Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas.
Johnny Jolly
Ryan Pickett

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

GD it! Why can't people read everything I write instead of honking off based on one statement. I have NEVER been the one saying we have to sign someone in the first two days, or even the first month, of free agency. What I have said, over and over and over again, is that 2 big free agent signings in 9 years hasn't got it done. What I have said, over and over and over again, is that I *will* be pissed if no one is signed before the draft. What I have said, over and over and over again, is that I *am likely* to be pissed if Ted Thompson doesn't make at least two signings before the draft this year.

And I have said, over and over and over again, is that I don't consider it *enough* to just *sign your own*. Much as I like Jolly and hope he can come back from the injury, much as I love the Big Grease and hope he has stuff left in the tank, and much as I think Raji is a nice, even cool, dude, none of those signings -- alone or together -- will satisfy me, any more than the Neal signing satisfies me. Heck, even the Shields signing -- as ecstatic as I am that we didn't lose him to another team -- won't satisfy me.

The only thing that will satisfy me is if one (or more likely, two*) among some on the above list is signed before the draft. Heck, I'll even give him to the start of training camp.

But if that doesn't happen, despite many more than two of people on the above list who I would still count as "substantial" improvements over last year's defensive roster, yes I will be pissed. And the "impatience" you've seen so far will be mild by comparison. Bet on it.

(*I pretty much want two substantial FA pickups this go-round, though I would be okay if one was a quality OL) starter. But I am trying very hard to avoid all OL discussion until I see the draft)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
dfosterf
10 years ago
I like the signing. Just a fine red pubic hair past barely.

play2win
10 years ago

Hes obviously better than mulumba and palmer so yeah he improves the team

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

He's the same guy we had last year, playing a hybrid OLB position, meaning, he is bigger than most OLB, and fast to the QB, but suffers in coverage. How does that improve upon what we had last year?

Another square peg in a round hole. I hope he makes a giant leap at this new position for him, but to think this is somehow improving the team is a stretch. And, if he gets $4M or more, add that to Brad Jones and there is the money for Jairus Byrd, or any of a number of other quality FAs that were signed these past two days.

He will have to improve on 5 sacks and 1 FF, 1 PD and 1 INT. BTW, the INT and PD both came against a beleaguered WAS.

I'm sorry, but Ted falling in love with his own players and resigning them to mid level contracts, or more, just fills the roster with mid level talent. That's not going to do it, and that is hardly an improvement.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I hope you get your wish, but given Teds record, especially with this year and The Packers 17 UFA's , I'm betting you are not going to be happy.

It's all good.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

I like the signing. Just a fine red pubic hair past barely.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Hmm...perhaps we need a "Packers need to pick up more real redheads in the front office" thread?

buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

He's the same guy we had last year, playing a hybrid OLB position, meaning, he is bigger than most OLB, and fast to the QB, but suffers in coverage. How does that improve upon what we had last year?

Another square peg in a round hole. I hope he makes a giant leap at this new position for him, but to think this is somehow improving the team is a stretch. And, if he gets $4M or more, add that to Brad Jones and there is the money for Jairus Byrd, or any of a number of other quality FAs that were signed these past two days.

He will have to improve on 5 sacks and 1 FF, 1 PD and 1 INT. BTW, the INT and PD both came against a beleaguered WAS.

I'm sorry, but Ted falling in love with his own players and resigning them to mid level contracts, or more, just fills the roster with mid level talent. That's not going to do it, and that is hardly an improvement.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

The former defensive end tied for the third on the team with five sacks, including four in the final seven games.

Neal
That's what made it surprising last month at the NFL scouting combine to hear coach Mike McCarthy say he felt Neal's best position still was an inside pass rusher.

"I still think the best thing, in my opinion, that Mike Neal does is rush from a '3' technique, particular in third down in the sub package," McCarthy said. "I think he's a real force in there."

So where does that leave Neal for 2014 now that he has re-signed with the Packers?

The best answer might be that he plays some of both, which was actually the intention last season. Both McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers have said their plan for 2014 is to get more versatile and be more multiple in their defensive packages.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8241/neals-return-gives-defense-flexibility 

play2win
10 years ago

The former defensive end tied for the third on the team with five sacks, including four in the final seven games.

Neal
That's what made it surprising last month at the NFL scouting combine to hear coach Mike McCarthy say he felt Neal's best position still was an inside pass rusher.

"I still think the best thing, in my opinion, that Mike Neal does is rush from a '3' technique, particular in third down in the sub package," McCarthy said. "I think he's a real force in there."

So where does that leave Neal for 2014 now that he has re-signed with the Packers?

The best answer might be that he plays some of both, which was actually the intention last season. Both McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers have said their plan for 2014 is to get more versatile and be more multiple in their defensive packages.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8241/neals-return-gives-defense-flexibility 

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yeah, yeah, yeah... They are on top of it like always. I swear, these guys. So, now he is a 3 Tech again. Great. Or, is he an elephant end? WTF is going on up there?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.