buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Actually, I do know quite well how hard it is to come away with quality starters in a single draft. That is exactly why I have been pining for years here for Thompson to employ a more balanced overall personnel procurement approach, using BOTH the draft and FA.

Did I not say it was a tall order to add that many starters in a single draft? WTF?

As a fan, was I upset about last year? Yes, but I've been upset about our last 3 years. Many of the same issues that Mike McCarthy promised at the end of each season to address reared its ugly head, again, and again, and again. Add to that, we've been deficient in real talent at S and ILB for 3 years, not to mention pass rush opposite Matthews, and Ted Thompson has not gotten the job done at these positions... as much as I like and respect him.

We left a lot on the table in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Time to clean up.

This isn't all flowers because it is a new season. Real issues need to be addressed and put to rest, namely position upgrades and team health. I guess I take a more realistic approach, and we clearly have no one at FS, no one at ILB next to Hawk, Hawk himself isn't getting any younger, and we are now quite thin on the O side at C, TE and WR. So, adding starters at at least 2 positions, S and ILB, is not out of the question if Ted does a good job drafting this year. Just what I said.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

You keep dreaming, and Ted will keep doing his due dilligence in keeping the Packers a viable threat every year.

Mark this thread if you want.

The Packers will make a deeper run in the playoff in 2014, IF NO ROOKIE HAS TO START.

Thankfully Ted and mike don't give up on players as fast as some on this forum, if that was the tuth, The packers would be fielding a team made up of mostly rookies and 2nd year guys , and that is a recipe for disaster!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
9 years ago

You keep dreaming, and Ted will keep doing his due dilligence in keeping the Packers a viable threat every year.

The Packers will make a deeper run in the playoff in 2014, IF NO ROOKIE HAS TO START.

Thankfully Ted and mike don't give up on players as fast as some on this forum, if that was the tuth, The packers would be fielding a team made up of mostly rookies and 2nd year guys , and that is a recipe for disaster!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I agree with you on everything except the no rookies starting thing. If we get Pryor or Dix at 21 I'm betting they will be the starter. I also think someone like Mosely could easily be one of the starters. If we take TE like Amaro he could start as well but anything in later rounds, Yeah, chances are they will not be starters unless its a Lacy type thing or an injury like Daktari. Getting 5 starting caliber players in their first year out of 1 draft is beyond lucky. Getting 5 starters may be possible but not necessarily 5 that are starting caliber. There is a difference.
luigis
9 years ago
Sitting in my couch I can't stop thinking we need to draft a safety, then a safety then another safety, then a safety and in the last rounds 3 or 4 extra safeties.

In today's NFL the safety position is critical, a good pair there make the whole defense be better, they make the DL look better, they give more time to all the defense in general and they stop the big plays that make defenses look horrible.

I'm almost convinced Burnett is good as a backup. So I think we need not one but two safeties, a whole new pair in the backfield to make the defense really work.

I think it's easier for a good safety to make LBs good than for good LBs to make the safeties look fine.
Luis
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Sitting in my couch I can't stop thinking we need to draft a safety, then a safety then another safety, then a safety and in the last rounds 3 or 4 extra safeties.

In today's NFL the safety position is critical, a good pair there make the whole defense be better, they make the DL look better, they give more time to all the defense in general and they stop the big plays that make defenses look horrible.

I'm almost convinced Burnett is good as a backup. So I think we need not one but two safeties, a whole new pair in the backfield to make the defense really work.

I think it's easier for a good safety to make LBs good than for good LBs to make the safeties look fine.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

if only there were that many safeties that were good enough to be drafted that many times.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

if only there were that many safeties that were good enough to be drafted that many times.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Better to pass up other good players and have 10 shitty safeties than to have 3 shitty safeties I guess.
mi_keys
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: luigis 

I don't buy it.

I'm of the mindset that losing Nick Collins may have cost us another title. I think he was that good. But given the choice between an elite safety and elite pass rusher, I'll take the pass rusher every time.

We're in a day and age where defensive backs aren't allowed to defend receivers down field. And we are in a time where safety really isn't that deep of a position across the league, potentially because of the rule changes.

Defense is won up front. You need to win the line of scrimmage, however that is done. You need hit the running back at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. And you need to get to the quarterback and disrupt the offensive rhythm.
Born and bred a cheesehead
play2win
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Just like last season when we started Bakhtiari and Lacy... super glad they didn't do that! It would have spelled "disaster!"

What planet are you living on? We've been fielding rosters loaded with rookies and 2nd year players, many of whom have started for us over the past 4 seasons. One of the youngest, if not the youngest teams in the NFL over that span.
play2win
9 years ago

I don't buy it.

I'm of the mindset that losing Nick Collins may have cost us another title. I think he was that good. But given the choice between an elite safety and elite pass rusher, I'll take the pass rusher every time.

We're in a day and age where defensive backs aren't allowed to defend receivers down field. And we are in a time where safety really isn't that deep of a position across the league, potentially because of the rule changes.

Defense is won up front. You need to win the line of scrimmage, however that is done. You need hit the running back at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. And you need to get to the quarterback and disrupt the offensive rhythm.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I don't know mi_keys... We win championships with top talents at S. LeRoy and Eugene. Nick and Morgan. Most champions have top talents playing the S positions. I tend to disagree on the one or the other. We actually need both. Top pass rushers and top Safeties. I think Burnett will be a better player if he were moved back to FS, with a top talent from this draft at SS.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

I don't buy it.

Why don't you buy it? The point is not whether or not a great pass rusher is more valuable than a great Safety. The point is what we have or don't have now.

With Matthews and now Peppers, and still a decent chance Perry develops; With Daniels getting more playing time and Datone progressing, we are very well stocked for pass rushers.

We have a huge need for Safetys - I'd like to see two drafted among the 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rd round picks.

Regarding the "importance" thing, look at it like this: the great pass rusher sacks the QB on first and second down; Then on about 3rd and 26 (make that 4th and 26 just for history sake), the inadequate Safety messes up and gives up a big play - TD or at least keeping the drive alive. Which is more important, the pass rusher or the last line of defense?

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
luigis
9 years ago

I don't buy it.

A pass rusher can't give up a TD, or a hail-mary pass or blow the coverage for a 50 yard pass. If the secondary is very good the rushers have more time to get to the QB because nobody is open.

On the other hand if you have an excellent rusher but bad secondary they can't just double-block your elite rusher and just wait until somebody is open to fling a big pass. Hey that's exaclty what they have been doing to us with CMIII.

Take the best two safeties in the NFL in your opinion and imagine them in our backfield, now let me know if we need a pass rusher, then imagine we have CMIII and Julius Peppers and let me know if you are fine with Burnett and the Doc in the backfield.

Luis
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
59m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.