play2win
9 years ago

Yeah, the trade for the player is probably unlikely but one of them trading up for the draft pick and taking the QB on their own is a possibility depending on picks 1 through 20.

For what it's worth, based on the draft pick value chart, here's how the picks you suggested stack up:

GB:
Pick 21: 800
Total: 800

HOU:
Pick 33: 580
Pick 65: 265
Total: 845

JAX:
Pick 39: 510
Pick 70: 240
Pick 105: 84
Total: 834

source:
http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php 

Based on the draft chart, it says Green Bay is getting the slightly better value. Based on the alleged depth of this draft, we probably would be getting the better value but, again, it depends on how the first 20 picks fall.

After the above scenario we could also potentially take the Jacksonville 3rd and 4th round pick or the Houston 3rd and our 4th (#121) and trade back into the 2nd round if there was one more player sitting there we really liked. Those sets of picks add up to about the 25-26 pick of the second round. That would give us 3 2nd round picks.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Yeah, I checked the chart to make sure the deal was skewed in our favor! 😆 Your scenario of us jumping into R2 for three selections is something I think all of us could see Ted doing. Just as long as he hits on all three instead of a Pat Lee and Brian Brohm scenario... But, hell yeah, it could work for us with a draft this deep.

I do think that #21 will be coveted by a team who passes on a QB. Maybe these QB needy teams don't pass up the QB and the point becomes moot. If I'm HOU and I need the best QB I can find to run my team, and I'm staring at Clowney, I would be inclined to take the QB. Too many question marks with Clowney IMO. He was handled last season. What's going to happen to him in the Pros?

Same holds true for all the other QB needy teams. CLE? Are they really going to pass on a guy that can take them places and lead their team to nab a WR? JAX? MIN? TB? Hell, I could see NYJ taking a QB if the right one fell to them. It is only the most important position on a team.

If all these teams do jump on their QB of choice, we will be seeing a lot of talent falling our way, at positions we could use. Something tells me that's more how this will shake out.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
The flip side to trading with some of the teams who need a QB is that they need a lot of help. Giving up extra picks to get the QB will mean they will still need more help at other positions next year and probably the year after that. While GB has a pretty set roster and getting an extra pick or two won't insure those players even making the team.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

The flip side to trading with some of the teams who need a QB is that they need a lot of help. Giving up extra picks to get the QB will mean they will still need more help at other positions next year and probably the year after that. While GB has a pretty set roster and getting an extra pick or two won't insure those players even making the team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

True. But, some of these teams have a ton of picks to play with. Both HOU and JAX have 11 picks. CLE has 10. NYJ has 12, as does STL. Also, other teams with established QBs: ATL has 10 and DAL and SF have 11 each.

Teams like AZ, BUF, OAK, TB and TEN, all teams with big needs, only have 6 choices each. You know they are going to want to trade back. I'm kind of hoping we trade up with one or more of these teams to land an extra special player or players.

Then there are teams like WAS and IND who only have 6 and 5 choices respectively, and no R1s. Those teams could become trading partners for R2 and R3 should Ted wish to maneuver up.

wpr, I want us to land top quality players this year. Trading up early is what I am hoping for if the right players are there, and I can see Ted doing a bit of both in this draft.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
I am all for moving up and getting a better player than moving down and getting more run of the mill players. The draft is deep for run of the mill players.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

I am all for moving up and getting a better player than moving down and getting more run of the mill players. The draft is deep for run of the mill players.

I'm all for moving back and getting more players that next year could have been 1st 2nd or 3rd round picks in later rounds this year. This draft is deep for those players. Now you don't move around just to do it obviously if there's a guy at 16 you think is some phenom that wont last to 21 then yeah maybe you go after him but there's a reason teams don't try and trade as many picks as they can to move up as much as they can. "Getting a better player" is nice in theory but usually not worth the cost in reality
play2win
9 years ago

I'm all for moving back and getting more players that next year could have been 1st 2nd or 3rd round picks in later rounds this year. This draft is deep for those players. Now you don't move around just to do it obviously if there's a guy at 16 you think is some phenom that wont last to 21 then yeah maybe you go after him but there's a reason teams don't try and trade as many picks as they can to move up as much as they can. "Getting a better player" is nice in theory but usually not worth the cost in reality

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

It is pretty weird. This is super early to be speculating like this but from a fan perspective, man, I like 3 other Safeties better than the top two in all the mocks. Maybe it is worth trading back if one or two of the coveted players is taken before our #21.

Here is a trade projection that is kind of interesting:
http://www.gbnreport.com/tradeprojection.html 

Trading 21 down to 30 with SF for an additional R3 at 77. That would give us 5 of the top 98 picks.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Ted should take BPA. Now our team is stocked, so BPA is also weighed agaist positions of need, so I would find it hard to believe that a QB would be available who would be better than any other player even in positions of need, and/or trading back.

If they find a guy who they really like and he's there, I could see it. Otherwise...

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

that's ok. I don't mind it if we have different philosophies.

Trading back seems to bring in average players. Average starters who do not stand out in a crowd. You absolutely need them. A bunch of them to have a team.

But trading up tends to land the player of special qualities. One who stand out in a league of extra ordinary gentlemen. At least is it is done correctly he will. Someone like CM3 when he is healthy.

I am not saying to trade up merely for the sake of saying we traded up. The player and the need have to be there before it makes sense.

The GB roster is full of players who would make most teams. Players who could start for most teams. Trading down to grab a bunch more of them only means dropping players of similar abilities to keep the new ones. There is no real increase in overall value in that process. GB can certainly use some help in a few positions. But by trading back and accumulating extra picks there will not be a guarantee they will be able to fill all those positions when the draft slots roll around.

UserPostedImage
mi_keys
9 years ago

Trading back seems to bring in average players. Average starters who do not stand out in a crowd. You absolutely need them. A bunch of them to have a team.

But trading up tends to land the player of special qualities. One who stand out in a league of extra ordinary gentlemen. At least is it is done correctly he will. Someone like CM3 when he is healthy.

I am not saying to trade up merely for the sake of saying we traded up. The player and the need have to be there before it makes sense.

The GB roster is full of players who would make most teams. Players who could start for most teams. Trading down to grab a bunch more of them only means dropping players of similar abilities to keep the new ones. There is no real increase in overall value in that process. GB can certainly use some help in a few positions. But by trading back and accumulating extra picks there will not be a guarantee they will be able to fill all those positions when the draft slots roll around.

Philosophically, I feel there are many years in which what you say above probably holds true. But I believe in this case, those of us looking at potentiall trading back out of the 1st and into the 2nd (and then maybe even moving some later picks up into the 2nd or 3rd round) are thinking based on projections the 2nd round picks aren't that far off the expected value of the mid to high 1st round picks. If that's the case, we might have a better chance of drafting a couple players who end up having exceptional careers with three 2nd round picks and one 3rd round pick (my extreme hypothetical trade back and trade up scenario) than one 1st, one 2nd and two 3rds.

We've landed plenty of studs in recent years in the second round: Nick Collins, Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, Casey Hayward (at least stud rookie), Eddie Lacy and Daryn Colledge (if you're delusional like Zero). Maybe were all lemmings and just going off what the talking heads are saying, but there's a feeling this draft is deep. If we can't get exactly who we want in the 1st round, maybe those difference makers can come consolidating our picks in the 2nd round.

Maybe we've all been playing too much of that draft simulator.
Born and bred a cheesehead
steveishere
9 years ago

What is that based on? From what I've seen our trade backs have landed some pretty high quality players (Nelson, Lacy) neither of those guys are average. The philosophy of trading down isn't to get more average players it's done when there is an abundance of similar quality players at your draft position (all of those players could be good, it doesn't mean they are average). You get a player of a similar quality to one you could have gotten had you stayed put and add a higher chance to get a guy like Mike Daniels or something later on. Or if you have a player really high on your board that you think will last if you trade back and can still get that player.

In reference to this draft in particular it looks to me like there are a handful of exceptional players (10-15ish). Beyond that there are just a bunch of guys that don't really stand out but are still really good that will last down into 4th or 5th round (more than usual). Typically draft classes I think have had 50 or 60 underclassmen the last few years. This one has 98, that's a lot of talent in there who are guys that probably in the next year or 2 could have been 1st or 2nd round picks.

It's way too complex to simply boil it down to trade up = better players, trade back = more average players. It could just as easily become, trade up = fewer good players and trade down = more good players.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.