play2win
9 years ago
We'll, I like what DoddPower had to say and I feel pretty much the same. This is one of those instances where we could possibly witness a top player drop in our laps like Rodgers did, and I could see where the pick is made.

Mark Brunnell. Ty Detmer. Matt Hasselbeck. Aaron Brooks. While they are not first rounders, Wolf always took one because he knew the value of a QB, and Holmgren developed them into valuable trade assets.

I would rather get top defenders early in this draft. Would love to add 3 in the first two rounds. But, I'll understand, somewhat, if Ted drafts a top QB that falls into his lap. We say we don't need one, but sure as hell could have used one last season.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
The problem with the back-up QB draft scenario as our team stands now is he does shit for us unless Rodgers gets hurt. Showing off the kid's talent only in the pre-season and mop-up duty will be hard to get other GMs to part ways with top draft picks. I would rather draft a Fales in that scenario as I can possibly see him compete and the risk is far less.
DoddPower
9 years ago

The problem with the back-up QB draft scenario as our team stands now is he does shit for us unless Rodgers gets hurt. Showing off the kid's talent only in the pre-season and mop-up duty will be hard to get other GMs to part ways with top draft picks. I would rather draft a Fales in that scenario as I can possibly see him compete and the risk is far less.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I totally agree. But just for the sake of argument, could you, as a general manager pass on a QB if you thought he could potentially be another Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or maybe even Russell Wilson? It's obviously never that clear, but another elite QB like that would be a better pick than a Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, Justin Harrell, et al. The only way a general manager should pull the trigger when in a situation like the Packers is if they were CONVINCED the QB was going to be an elite player. If there's much uncertainly, then I think they gotta pass.
mi_keys
9 years ago

I totally agree. But just for the sake of argument, could you, as a general manager pass on a QB if you thought he could potentially be another Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or maybe even Russell Wilson? It's obviously never that clear, but another elite QB like that would be a better pick than a Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry, Justin Harrell, et al. The only way a general manager should pull the trigger when in a situation like the Packers is if they were CONVINCED the QB was going to be an elite player. If there's much uncertainly, then I think they gotta pass.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If we were talking about an Andrew Luck falling to us, then yes, I'd take him. I don't think any of these guys coming out are on that level as a prospect. Bortles is raw and I have an inherent mistrust of the run first quarterbacks given their track record in the NFL (if we end up with enough on par with Russell Wilson or RGIII that stay healthy I might change my mind but to this point I don't think the hit percentage has been high enough).

When you're talking about some of the teams at the top of the draft who desperately need a quarterback not wanting to take these guys in the first round it gives me the impression that we're not really talking about bona fide top 10-15 prospects, in which case, I don't really see it as falling to us.
Born and bred a cheesehead
play2win
9 years ago
Those QB needy teams at the top 10-15 of this draft may be playing some high stakes poker this year if they pass on the QBs and select other positions first.

Wouldn't you love to know what Ted's plan is should a big name or two drops?

I'm still of the mindset that taking one of those guys is a luxury we might not be able to afford. Not at this time, with a healthy, capable Flynn behind Rodgers, and Tolzien, who they like, battling for the #2 QB... I want Ted to maximize GB's opportunities with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Give him the defense this team needs to be a more complete team overall.

Unless he could work out a trade with one of the QB needy teams that would turn more in our favor.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I guess my concern is how would the other teams learn about his eliteness unless through a Rodgers injury? Hell most of us were not aware of how good Rodgers was. He played pretty good filling in for Brett against Dallas, but in fairness their Defense did not practice with the mindset of playing him and they had a pretty decent lead when Rodgers came in. The guys in the locker room were convinced that Rodgers had the ability to start, but when Brett left I think a great many of us were not convinced we wouldn't see a huge step down at the position. Luckily we were wrong and we actually stayed level and in many ways went up.

I like Fales as the back-up of the future that we could flip for picks. I think the NFL Network has helped his stock. I don't think he is going in the 6th round like all the Mocks people are doing recently.

DoddPower
9 years ago

I guess my concern is how would the other teams learn about his eliteness unless through a Rodgers injury? Hell most of us were not aware of how good Rodgers was. He played pretty good filling in for Brett against Dallas, but in fairness their Defense did not practice with the mindset of playing him and they had a pretty decent lead when Rodgers came in. The guys in the locker room were convinced that Rodgers had the ability to start, but when Brett left I think a great many of us were not convinced we wouldn't see a huge step down at the position. Luckily we were wrong and we actually stayed level and in many ways went up.

I like Fales as the back-up of the future that we could flip for picks. I think the NFL Network has helped his stock. I don't think he is going in the 6th round like all the Mocks people are doing recently.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I don't know, I can confidently say I was convinced Aaron Rodgers was going to be a very good QB by about his 3rd preseason, and definitely after the Dallas game. I was amazed how so many doubted him at that point. The guy was obviously a baller. I wasn't concerned at all and I'm glad he took over when he did. Of course, I do generally give Packer players the benefit of the doubt due to my bias as a fan, but still. There were plenty of signs there for Rodgers after a couple seasons, imo.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Personally, I don't like any of the quarterbacks likely to go in the first few rounds.

I might spend a 5th on Logan Thomas, or a 6th on Garrett Gilbert or Tahj Boyd. But that's about it.

As for trading up generally, I see total of 8 players worth considering:
1. To earlier than #15 (would cost minimum of next year's first rounder and a second-day pick): Clinton-Dix, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Barr. IMO, all five will be gone by #10, but if they last to 11-15, maybe.
2. To #16-#21: Donald, Lewan, Z. Martin.

If no one offered a trade to later in the 1st or the first five picks of the second, my top 10 at #21 (after the above) would be:
1.Pryor,
2. Ebron,
3. Jernigan,
4. Lee,
5. Shazier,
6. Mosley,
7. Ealy,
8. Verrett,
9. Fuller
10. Cooks.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
9 years ago

Bridgewater: My Pro Day was bad, but my game tape speaks volumes 

But while Bridgewater knows his Pro Day left a lot to be desired, he believes coaches, scouts and general managers who watch his game tape will see that he throws the ball a lot better on the field than he did during that workout.

Get him in the 3rd, Ted.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Bridgewater: My Pro Day was bad, but my game tape speaks volumes 

Get him in the 3rd, Ted.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Bridgewater still there at 85? snerk.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.