wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

The Packers have a solid nucleus to build around. But help is definitely needed — most notably at safety, inside linebacker, tight end, wide receiver and on the defensive line. When the draft begins May 8, Ted Thompson is expected to address these positions early — and perhaps often.

JSOnline  wrote:

Nice break down. I may weigh some of the positions differently than Rob Reischel but overall it is a good read.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago
That is still a good number of needs. If we can shore up the top 3-5 positions by adding better talent that will help. I'm hopeful Ted hits it big this year.
mi_keys
9 years ago
I think he overstates the need at receiver. I'd be shocked if we didn't resign Cobb and Nelson. We have cap under this year to work with yet. Boykin showed plenty last year to have confidence in him as a third receiver. Between the other young guys in the system you'd expect to at least have the quality of a 4th or 5th receiver there somewhere. The bottom line is our depth at receiver is still above average in this league, maybe even well above depending on how well Boykin comes along and if the top 3 stay healthy.

I'd like to see at least one receiving threat, whether that be a tight end or a wide receiver, taken this year; and potentially one of each. But there is no way in hell receiver is our second biggest need.

I'd put nose tackle at our second biggest need behind safety (just edging inside linebacker for me where at least we have one consistent, albeit unspectacular performer in Hawk, and a couple young guys who we'd hope could do a competent job). Once the injuries started to pile up we were gashed up the middle on the run and we almost never collapsed the pocket up the middle in passing situations. Edge rushers are just not as effective if you leave a ton of space for a QB to step up into the pocket. Right now we have a guy who has been grossly underperforming the past three years and virtually no one else. Boyd can play there in a pinch, but at this point in time I would not want to rely on him to consistently plug the middle. He's more likely a defensive end in our scheme in running situations.

I'd move center further up the list since we do not have a known quantity at the position. It doesn't mean we should address it early, but you don't usually get a run of centers early anyway.

With Flynn and Tolzein lined up as the backups this year, we don't really have a need at quarterback at the moment. There are some prospects that would be worthwhile considering later on in the draft depending on how everything unfolds, but picking a quarterback now should strictly be due to BPA.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
9 years ago

I think he overstates the need at receiver. I'd be shocked if we didn't resign Cobb and Nelson. We have cap under this year to work with yet. Boykin showed plenty last year to have confidence in him as a third receiver. Between the other young guys in the system you'd expect to at least have the quality of a 4th or 5th receiver there somewhere. The bottom line is our depth at receiver is still above average in this league, maybe even well above depending on how well Boykin comes along and if the top 3 stay healthy.

I'd like to see at least one receiving threat, whether that be a tight end or a wide receiver, taken this year; and potentially one of each. But there is no way in hell receiver is our second biggest need.

I'd put nose tackle at our second biggest need behind safety (just edging inside linebacker for me where at least we have one consistent, albeit unspectacular performer in Hawk, and a couple young guys who we'd hope could do a competent job). Once the injuries started to pile up we were gashed up the middle on the run and we almost never collapsed the pocket up the middle in passing situations. Edge rushers are just not as effective if you leave a ton of space for a QB to step up into the pocket. Right now we have a guy who has been grossly underperforming the past three years and virtually no one else. Boyd can play there in a pinch, but at this point in time I would not want to rely on him to consistently plug the middle. He's more likely a defensive end in our scheme in running situations.

I'd move center further up the list since we do not have a known quantity at the position. It doesn't mean we should address it early, but you don't usually get a run of centers early anyway.

With Flynn and Tolzein lined up as the backups this year, we don't really have a need at quarterback at the moment. There are some prospects that would be worthwhile considering later on in the draft depending on how everything unfolds, but picking a quarterback now should strictly be due to BPA.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

They need a guy who can also return punts.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
9 years ago

I don't know mi_keys. When Cobb went down, we were at a loss, and that was with Jones. Right now, behind Nelson, Cobb and Boykin, we have little there that is game proven. Lose one starter to injury and we could be in trouble. Two would be much worse. I like the idea of Ted adding a WR anywhere in the first 4 rounds if he sees fit to do so.

I also see ILB as being nearly as big a need as Safety. Depends on what happens wight Lattimore and Barrington. I think Jones is not worth having on this team.

NT is a close 3rd in priority, and the wide bodies are few and far between. We could use one, and if Ted goes there early we will know why. That position does not seem too deep in this draft.
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

I have no problem with your assessment. I see what he is saying that IF in 2 years both Nelson and Cobb are gone what do they do. But that doesn't make it quite as urgent this year.

it is also somewhat of a cop out to so many positions within a point or two on his urgency rating scale.

He does use a double standard comparing center and wr. He is lax in his rating of unproven Tretter at C but more panicky if you will about needing another WR. I took that to mean he expects Uncle Teddy to select a WR in the first 2 days while he probably won't look at the OL until Day 3 even the C position. Part of that is there is a lot more talent at WR than at C in the draft.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
9 years ago

I don't know mi_keys. When Cobb went down, we were at a loss, and that was with Jones. Right now, behind Nelson, Cobb and Boykin, we have little there that is game proven. Lose one starter to injury and we could be in trouble. Two would be much worse. I like the idea of Ted adding a WR anywhere in the first 4 rounds if he sees fit to do so.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Right, but the injury argument applies to every position. If injuries occur anywhere, your depth all of a sudden looks much worse at the position. If Raji goes down we have essentially no one there who is a dedicated nose tackle. We'd have to play someone like Boyd out of their preferred position. If JC Tretter goes down OR isn't any good (we have high hopes in his potential but he's not even as proven as Boykin) we likely have to reshuffle multiple positions on the line. If Hawk goes down, we have no proven, consistent commodities at inside linebacker.

If Cobb or Nelson go down, we still have the other and Boykin. In such a situation we can spread the passing out around the tight ends and our running backs, who are deeper than we have had at the position (RB, not TE) in years. If both Cobb or Nelson go down, well, see the above paragraph and we're even more screwed at each position. And how many teams still have stacked receiving groups if the top two go down?

I'm not saying there is no need at receiver. As I said, I want to see at least one receiving target taken (tight end or receiver) to expand that depth. If one of the top receivers falls in one of the early rounds, I have no issue taking him if it's a BPA. Otherwise, if you're sitting there with a NT, ILB or S that is roughly the same grade as a WR, I'd rather wait and take the WR later.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
In a league where I consider every year rebuilding while you keep your core in tact I am just looking for one defensive draft pick to make an impact like last year where Hyde showed he can be a playmaker. Vic touched on this in his ask Vic video and I agree. Now this could be someone we drafted last year like Jones or Boyd. The hope is we draft a front seven guy (no matter what the position) that makes an immediate impact for the better.

First round is still very much a toss up for me. I don't find myself getting too overexcited about anyone in particular especially so close to the end of the round. I would not be shocked nor angry if it turns out to be an offensive player.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

In a league where I consider every year rebuilding while you keep your core in tact I am just looking for one defensive draft pick to make an impact like last year where Hyde showed he can be a playmaker. Vic touched on this in his ask Vic video and I agree. Now this could be someone we drafted last year like Jones or Boyd. The hope is we draft a front seven guy (no matter what the position) that makes an immediate impact for the better.

First round is still very much a toss up for me. I don't find myself getting too overexcited about anyone in particular especially so close to the end of the round. I would not be shocked nor angry if it turns out to be an offensive player.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I guess that is one of the things that helps make a long long day enjoyable as we sit and wait. The speculation over who will still be there. Personally I hope there is a stampede for QBs, RBs and OLmen in the first round. (There won't.) But the more players who are taken at areas of low need mean more for Uncle Teddy to chose from.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Also I would like to add that I believe the Raji signing shows the opinion we have on the nose tackle prospects in this year's draft. It really is slim pickings.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.