play2win
9 years ago

There are plenty of sizzle picks available in Round 1... we tend to take the foundational/solid types. Justin Harrell was not a sizzle pick to me at all. Man, it hurts to type that name. I love the draft...favorite event in all of sports but Harrell did nothing for me, and, ironically, nothing for us same as Jamal Reynolds...Ahmad Carroll. Man, have we had some brutal 1st rounders.

Check this link and look at some of the sizzle to be had at the end of Round 1 and beginning of Round 2.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/rounds/round_1 

Ted Thompson just ain't into sizzle. These touted game changers aren't usually his cup of tea.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It is high time that changes. I don't want another player who requires one or two seasons to develop before we see a contribution. We need immediate, positive impact on this Packers team.

We need the 1st Round impact we saw in 2009. Something along those lines would be great.
nerdmann
9 years ago

There are plenty of sizzle picks available in Round 1... we tend to take the foundational/solid types. Justin Harrell was not a sizzle pick to me at all. Man, it hurts to type that name. I love the draft...favorite event in all of sports but Harrell did nothing for me, and, ironically, nothing for us same as Jamal Reynolds...Ahmad Carroll. Man, have we had some brutal 1st rounders.

Check this link and look at some of the sizzle to be had at the end of Round 1 and beginning of Round 2.

Ted Thompson just ain't into sizzle. These touted game changers aren't usually his cup of tea.

Harrell had neither sizzle NOR steak.

It was a gamble at sizzle. If he was throwing guys around like a men among boys, it would have been sizzle. Aaron Rodgers is sizzle. Clay Matthews, sizzle.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
9 years ago

clicked your link, tried to find sizzle in the last 3rd of round 1. did not find it. A sizzle pick to me is someone who has a ton of hype leading up to the draft, not someone who just turns out to be good. maybe your definition isn't the same as mine.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

clicked your link, tried to find sizzle in the last 3rd of round 1. did not find it. A sizzle pick to me is someone who has a ton of hype leading up to the draft, not someone who just turns out to be good. maybe your definition isn't the same as mine.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Cordarrelle Patterson and DeAndre Hopkins were both taken at the end of Round 1 last year after Datone Jones.

Doug Martin was taken late the year before that.

Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas and Jahvid Best two years before Doug Martin draft. Dez had plenty of buzz.

Vonnie Holiday taken at 19... Randy Moss at 21. There was a ton of hype on Randy.

We take Raji at 9...Vikes take Harvin at 22. There was hype on Harvin.

Vernon Davis goes 1 pick after we take AJ Hawk. There was hype on Vernon Davis and certainly Crabtree.

So, the Vikes got two electrifying game changers after 20...we got Vonnie Holiday and BJ Raji sooner than the Vikings selection. That is...losing.
Ted Thompson has a reluctance to go after highly touted offensive game changers. He passed on Michael Crabtree to take BJ Raji and passed on Dez Bryant to take Bryan Bulaga. I remember just having this sinking feeling that Ted Thompson would not take Dez. He passed on him to add a guy who wasn't really a LT, even though that's where he was drafted to play, who was a RT only guy. Meanwhile, an electrifying game changing WR went next to Dallas.

There are few guys I've ever been excited about in Round 1. Sterling Sharpe, Terrell Buckley (a mistake on my part), Brent Fulwood (another mistake), and Aaron Rodgers. I wasn't excited about Clay Matthews...a one year wonder at USC who went from 160 to 230 almost overnight raising a lot of questions about him. That was a risk pick by TT, the kind he normally doesn't make, and it worked out well.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago
So you basically just mean take more WR in the 1st round? I really don't see why when we get good WR in 2nd round or later. Heck Boykin produced more as a receiver last year as a undrafted guy than the Vikings got out of Patterson.

I seem to remember Bulaga being hyped as a top 15ish pick before he dropped to us and I don't know how you can know what he was "drafted to be" when the guy played RT his rookie year. He's been injured but he was seen as somewhat of a steal at the time of the draft.

O-line and D-line don't get nearly as much hype in the draft as WR and RB do but I wouldn't say that in reality they are less important to the game.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Cordarrelle Patterson and DeAndre Hopkins were both taken at the end of Round 1 last year after Datone Jones.

Doug Martin was taken late the year before that.

Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas and Jahvid Best two years before Doug Martin draft. Dez had plenty of buzz.

Vonnie Holiday taken at 19... Randy Moss at 21. There was a ton of hype on Randy.

We take Raji at 9...Vikes take Harvin at 22. There was hype on Harvin.

Vernon Davis goes 1 pick after we take AJ Hawk. There was hype on Vernon Davis and certainly Crabtree.

So, the Vikes got two electrifying game changers after 20...we got Vonnie Holiday and BJ Raji sooner than the Vikings selection. That is...losing.

Ted Thompson has a reluctance to go after highly touted offensive game changers. He passed on Michael Crabtree to take BJ Raji and passed on Dez Bryant to take Bryan Bulaga. I remember just having this sinking feeling that Ted Thompson would not take Dez. He passed on him to add a guy who wasn't really a LT, even though that's where he was drafted to play, who was a RT only guy. Meanwhile, an electrifying game changing WR went next to Dallas.

There are few guys I've ever been excited about in Round 1. Sterling Sharpe, Terrell Buckley (a mistake on my part), Brent Fulwood (another mistake), and Aaron Rodgers. I wasn't excited about Clay Matthews...a one year wonder at USC who went from 160 to 230 almost overnight raising a lot of questions about him. That was a risk pick by TT, the kind he normally doesn't make, and it worked out well.

Taking Raji there also filled a major need. We'll see how he plays this year once he's actually playing in position. Crabtree and Bryant are head cases. We don't need that bullshit in Green Bay. I'll take Bulaga anyday. He's just as good as those guys, just plays a different position. And btw, I'd be fine with him at LT. Only reason they moved him to RT, was that Sherrod has longer arms.

There was plenty of buzz about Hawk too, at the time.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Drafting for need is not a wise strategy. I understand why they took Raji.

Bulaga did have some buzz but he wasn't ever going to be a game changer at RT. He was supposed to be a LT...that is why, IMO, he fell. He was not a LT as touted, but only projected to play RT in the pros. Taking a RT up that high was okay, I guess, but you had a game changer in Dez Bryant sitting there and you went with the safe pick. A solid RT prospect over a guy who could change a game.

I also understand the whole concept of "Packer People" although I don't really see it like many do. Ted Thompson does work hard to find guys he thinks will fit in our small market city. That is important.

Here's a nice example... Ward and Beckham are there at 21. Who is Ted Thompson going to take? This question is a little different this year considering WR is very deep, but, in general, when given that choice Ted Thompson will take a Ward type over Beckham.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
9 years ago
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/b.j.-raji?id=79631 

Raji emerged as arguably the most dominant defensive lineman in the country, registering 42 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and eight sacks. An even more dominant performance throughout the week of practice at the Senior Bowl made Raji a top-10 player on some boards.

Raji was getting a ton of hype going into that draft.

This "sizzle" seems to have a moving target. If the premise is that we should do better in the first round, then fine. It would also help if each of our last 4 first rounders didn't miss significant time due to injury, but we should wish for better results nonetheless. Then again, all teams wish they had drafted better here or there.

But if "sizzle" is about game changers, exclusively at offensive skill positions, I don't know what you're on about. What exactly are Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Eddie Lacy? Who cares that we took them in round 2? Does "sizzle" only count if it's round 1?

You cite a few cases involving the Vikings, one of which was before Ted Thompson's tenure. Of the other two, Harvin has never broken 1,000 yards receiving (although, 2011 had over 1,000 combined rushing and receiving) and has been victim to migraines and injuries. As a result, he's no longer on the team. Cordarrelle had a very exciting year but he still has a ways to go as a receiver. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

But, the focus in this thread on receivers seems odd; we've had a pretty good stable of skill players around Rodgers during his tenure here.
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Nope...sizzle can be any round. I was lamenting that our franchise, and that includes TT's tenure, seems to pass on guys who can change games.

Raji had similar maturity concerns as a guy like Dez Bryant...I realize different drafts. Raji was not known as a pass rusher nor as a guy who went full tilt on every play.

I would just like to see us grab someone who can change a game...really change it. I like Attaochu from G Tech. The guy looks like he could be a JPP type coming off the edge. Tons of upside.

Yes, WR's are the guys who change games in a passing league. We've had all world QB play for decades. It makes it harder to notice what a truly skilled WR looks like. Just because you have what we've had doesn't mean you shouldn't have tried for a Harvin type. Cobb is our closest to that. I LOVED when we took him. Lacy I wasn't so sure about but he looks like he's going to work out well.

I've watched this team for almost 35 years. I just want to see a few more hits in the first round. That shouldn't be too much to ask as the purple have done well up top vs. Green Bay. Thankfully, Green Bay seems to do well mid and late as well as UDFA and has that stud QB that changes the game. We're a QB removed from being Jacksonville...we all saw that last season. So fortunate Rodgers fell in our laps. Now, that is a game changer... a franchise changer.

UserPostedImage

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Nope...sizzle can be any round. I was lamenting that our franchise, and that includes TT's tenure, seems to pass on guys who can change games.

Raji had similar maturity concerns as a guy like Dez Bryant...I realize different drafts. Raji was not known as a pass rusher nor as a guy who went full tilt on every play.

I would just like to see us grab someone who can change a game...really change it. I like Attaochu from G Tech. The guy looks like he could be a JPP type coming off the edge. Tons of upside.

Yes, WR's are the guys who change games in a passing league. We've had all world QB play for decades. It makes it harder to notice what a truly skilled WR looks like. Just because you have what we've had doesn't mean you shouldn't have tried for a Harvin type. Cobb is our closest to that. I LOVED when we took him. Lacy I wasn't so sure about but he looks like he's going to work out well.

I've watched this team for almost 35 years. I just want to see a few more hits in the first round. That shouldn't be too much to ask as the purple have done well up top vs. Green Bay. Thankfully, Green Bay seems to do well mid and late as well as UDFA and has that stud QB that changes the game. We're a QB removed from being Jacksonville...we all saw that last season. So fortunate Rodgers fell in our laps. Now, that is a game changer... a franchise changer.

Please name me one 1st round "game changer" The Packers have missed on since Ted Thompson took over.

Drafting mostly in the 20's and lower it seems that your definition of a "game changer" isn't very often available.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!