NormaL
  • NormaL
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
Link 

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- If the Green Bay Packers change their mind about having two rookies back up quarterback Aaron Rodgers this season, veteran free agent Daunte Culpepper is willing to listen.

"I have not heard from the Packers since before the draft," Culpepper said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday night. "My ears are definitely opened to listen if they need a proven backup for Aaron."

Culpepper visited the Packers in April, after Brett Favre's original retirement, but left without a deal in place. He continues talking to other teams, but so far hasn't received the response he is hoping for.

"I am talking," Culpepper said. "I am just not convinced that the teams are listening."

Culpepper, 31, was a standout quarterback for Green Bay's division rival, Minnesota, before he sustained a major knee injury in 2005. He played in four games for Miami in 2006 and seven with the Oakland Raiders last season.

The Packers drafted a pair of rookies, Louisville's Brian Brohm and LSU's Matt Flynn, in April. Rodgers took over as the starter -- and stayed there, even after Favre unretired and was traded to the New York Jets.

Brohm generally has outperformed Flynn in practice and Flynn has been better in the Packers' preseason games, but neither may be far enough along to be considered a viable backup at this point in their careers.

After both struggled against the Tennessee Titans' No. 1 defense in the first half of the Packers' 23-21 loss in Thursday night's preseason finale at Lambeau Field, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he was comfortable with his quarterback situation.

"I'm going to say it for about the 100th time, it takes time, OK?" McCarthy said. "It takes time to develop young quarterbacks, and that's where we are. I'm excited about their future, but we've got work to do."

But McCarthy seemed to leave the door open to the possibility of the team adding a veteran backup.

"Those are all options," McCarthy said.

Flynn threw a pair of touchdown passes in the second half and nearly tied the game after narrowly missing a potential two-point conversion pass at the end of regulation. Brohm had a potential second-half touchdown called back on an instant replay review.

Brohm said the Packers are fine with the quarterbacks they have.

"I don't think we need to bring in a veteran backup because I think all three of us are ready to go," Brohm said.

As much as I absolutely hated this idea a few months ago, with our back ups looking the way they do, maybe this wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Oh, and LOLOLOL at Brohm's quote. I Like his confidence, but he might need to watch some preseason games.
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
minnypacker
15 years ago
Could we get a #4 for Brohm?

If so I'd trade him, I might even do it for a #5.

Flynn looks real good and if you can add a vetran backup it would be a solid group.
Pack93z
15 years ago
Out of all the possibilities out there for a backup QB.. I think I like this option the least.. he may be willing to accept the backup job right now.. but I think that would change at the first sign of struggle for Arod.. maybe I see Cpep incorrectly.. but the guy never seemed like the team player type to me.. more of a me first.

Never met the cat.. but that is the disconnected vibe I get for him.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TheEngineer
15 years ago

Flynn looks real good and if you can add a vetran backup it would be a solid group.

"minnypacker" wrote:

Trade? Already? You can't be serious. You gotta give the kid more time to develop. Just because Flynn has looked better this preseason (don't forget that he often plays against the 2nd string and 3rd string, while Brohm has to contend with the starters and backups) isn't enough reason to get rid of Brohm, this early.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago

"minnypacker" wrote:

People said the same about Rodgers year one.. weak arm, poor decision making skills.. etc.

Players adjust to the game differently at this level.. Brohm may take more time to adjust than others. To me, I see a kid that is over thinking on the field, one that is not playing based on reaction. Add to it that he knows he is struggling, thus applying more pressure upon himself. Snowballing at this point.. needs to get away from the spotlight a little, work on adjusting and regain a little bit of that confidence that seems to have disappeared.

Don't undersell him yet... if someone comes with a knockout offer.. listen and maybe pull the trigger. Other wise give him time to develop and adjust.

My opinion at least.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Since69
15 years ago
We could do a lot worse than Culpepper. Once he knocks the rust off, he'll prove better than anyone who's likely to come available for us.

The problem lies in what to do with Brohm and Flynn. Nobody in their right mind would trade a six-pack of warm Pabst for Brohm right now, and Flynn has, IMO, looked too good to cut. Both might survive waivers, but either one would get snatched off the practice squad. And I don't think there's any way we keep 4 QBs.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
15 years ago
Culpepper would join any team right now. He burned his bridges in Green Bay this summer not wanting to join the team. I say we move on their has to be a better option than this.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
TheEngineer
15 years ago

We could do a lot worse than Culpepper. Once he knocks the rust off, he'll prove better than anyone who's likely to come available for us.

The problem lies in what to do with Brohm and Flynn. Nobody in their right mind would trade a six-pack of warm Pabst for Brohm right now, and Flynn has, IMO, looked too good to cut. Both might survive waivers, but either one would get snatched off the practice squad. And I don't think there's any way we keep 4 QBs.

"Since69" wrote:

I've noticed an unfair vibe of negativity going around the Packers backup QBs. What I mean is, people seem to think Brohm is awful and is even potentially trade bait. But then, why are they so confident that Flynn is the answer? To be honest, I'm not sold on Flynn being a great backup to Rodgers, and in the same way I've not lost hope that Brohm can be worthy of his 2nd round pick.
blank
NormaL
  • NormaL
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
I'm a huge fan of anybody that ISN'T a fan of Culpepper, but ask yourself honestly this. If we had a chance at the playoff's and something happened to Rodgers, WHO would you want to fill in for him? Brohm, Flynn, Culpepper?

Oh, and by something happening to Rodgers I mean like a family member getting married and he can't make the game. lol
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
Since69
15 years ago

I've noticed an unfair vibe of negativity going around the Packers backup QBs. What I mean is, people seem to think Brohm is awful and is even potentially trade bait. But then, why are they so confident that Flynn is the answer? To be honest, I'm not sold on Flynn being a great backup to Rodgers, and in the same way I've not lost hope that Brohm can be worthy of his 2nd round pick.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I don't think it's unfair. It's just that Brohm is obviously not ready for the NFL. In a year or two he could be great - but right now he's awful. pack93z said he thought Brohm is over-thinking. I couldn't agree more, but there's no simple, quick fix for that.

And I don't know how Flynn will turn out, either, but he seems to have that undefinable "it". That scramble and throw for the TD last night was something any NFL QB would proud of.

But neither one is going to be of any help this year if Rodgers gets hurt. We've got too much talent to throw an entire season in the toilet for want of a quality backup.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.