wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

The closer we get to this thing the more I am thinking Ted will trade away our #21. ... straight from the horse's mouth. Of course he was referencing comp picks in this discussion, but I kind of feel this is his general philosophy. Friday should be a very big day for us.

If Ted does stay at #21, I think we will know it is for the opportunity to select one of a handful of players they have rated very high. I would guess that player will be very special. I don't think he keeps the 21 for anything but what he feels is the surest player to help the Packers.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140505/PKR01/305050446/Thompson-turns-losses-into-gains-compensatory-picks 

I can easily see him trading out.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

yep. That is what I was saying yesterday.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

I bet you said the same thing about Ante Josip Mandarich too!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Holy crap! Man, was that BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch. Do you remember the hype? That was insane.

Come to think of it, Ron Wolf really, really stunk up the joint in Round 1... for a very long stretch...

1989 Tony Mandarich
1990 Darrell Thompson
1991 Vinnie Clark
1992 Terrell Buckley
1996 Jon Michels
2001 Jamal Reynolds

Surprised we survived that stretch between 1989 and 1992. The only caveat was the other R1 we traded in 1992 for Brett Favre. After that, Wolf followed with a prime pick of Wayne Simmons in 1993 to stop the bleeding... Aaron Taylor followed in 1994, and in 1995, I believe Ron Wolf made his best first round pick ever, one of my all-time favorite Packers players in Craig Newsome. Probably the hardest hitting CB we've ever had in GB, ever. I loved the way this guy played the game.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

The closer we get to this thing the more I am thinking Ted will trade away our #21. ...

I could live with trading 21 away as long as Ted uses the acquired pick/picks to move back up in the 2nd.

I would love to see us ending up with 4 2nds and still having the 3rd and 5th comp picks.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
warhawk
9 years ago

The closer we get to this thing the more I am thinking Ted will trade away our #21. ... straight from the horse's mouth. Of course he was referencing comp picks in this discussion, but I kind of feel this is his general philosophy. Friday should be a very big day for us.

If Ted does stay at #21, I think we will know it is for the opportunity to select one of a handful of players they have rated very high. I would guess that player will be very special. I don't think he keeps the 21 for anything but what he feels is the surest player to help the Packers.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140505/PKR01/305050446/Thompson-turns-losses-into-gains-compensatory-picks 

I can easily see him trading out.

The other "if" is a trade partner. It could be Ted Thompson has no choice but to go with whoever he deems the best player at #21.

The way I look at it is this is draft is fairly typical in the 1st round with 10 or so really good players and the rest of the round solid.
Where the draft picks up is the talent level in the following rounds. A team can expect higher quality players, especially in round 2, than you normally see still there. I suspect many evaluators are seeing more talent than normally found in most of the later rounds and that would put Ted Thompson in the wheel house to move back IF he gets the chance.

This is a perfect chance to improve several positions at a cost that allows Ted to keep who he wants down the road. I sure hope he nails this one.

"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

The other "if" is a trade partner. It could be Ted Thompson has no choice but to go with whoever he deems the best player at #21.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Does have to make a selection at #21? What if the Packers let the clock expire a few times? Does the contract get slotted with the original selection, or where the team actually selected? Also, by doing this, it might force the hand of another team to trade up with the Packers.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

The way I look at it is this is draft is fairly typical in the 1st round with 10 or so really good players and the rest of the round solid.
Where the draft picks up is the talent level in the following rounds. A team can expect higher quality players, especially in round 2, than you normally see still there. I suspect many evaluators are seeing more talent than normally found in most of the later rounds and that would put Ted Thompson in the wheel house to move back IF he gets the chance.

This is a perfect chance to improve several positions at a cost that allows Ted to keep who he wants down the road. I sure hope he nails this one.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Yep. I agree, finding that trading partner could prove difficult when we are looking to load up R2 and R3. I'm sure a lot of teams want to do that exact same thing.

The factor of there being a large number of QB needy teams could play into our favor. This could get interesting.

We really need for him to nail this one. No question. It can make the difference in whether or not we are able to truly contend. We need players who can step in and start at a couple of positions, namely S and ILB. Get those two right and we could be very, very good.
play2win
9 years ago
Might have to add NE to the list of QB needy teams. Rumors are that they are trading Ryan Mallett to HOU. That would leave NE without a backup behind 37 year old Tom Brady. Does NE pull the same kind of move GB did when they took a falling Rodgers?

Teams who are rumored to be needing QBs:

HOU
STL
JAX
CLE
TB
MIN
TEN
DAL
NE

That list keeps getting longer... Not sure that a Mallett trade would eliminate a need for HOU. I hadn't considered NE as being QB needy before, but, maybe with Brady getting up there.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
From JSOnline.com: Here's an interesting look at the supposed costs and values for the Packers moving up or down...

800 points, No. 1, 21nd overall
370 points, No. 2, 53rd overall
165 points, No. 3, 85th overall
No value, No. 3, 98th overall (compensatory)
52 points, No. 4, 121st overall
27 points, No. 5, 161st overall
No value, No. 5, 176th overall (compensatory)
12.6, No. 6, 197th overall
1 point (estimate), No. 7, 236nd overall
Next, let's look at a couple of values well ahead of the 21st pick so you can get an idea what it takes to move up.

The fifth pick, for example, held by the Oakland Raiders, is worth 1,700 points.

Since the Packers' first-round pick is worth 800, the Packers would have to provide 900 additional points. The Packers don't have 900 points remaining, so they would have to trade a first-round pick next year, which Thompson would never do.

The lowest Thompson could go without dealing his 2015 first-round selection is No. 10, which is worth 1,300 points.

To get Detroit's pick, Thompson would have to trade his first- second- and third-round picks, which together would equal 1,335 points.

Here are the values from 10 through 20 and about what Thompson would have to deal along with the No. 21 pick to get there:

No. 11, Tennessee, 1,250 points - second, fourth and fifth.
No. 12, New York Giants, 1,200 points - second and fifth.
No. 13, St. Louis, 1,150 points - second.
No. 14, Chicago, 1,100 points - second and receive a fourth back from the Bears.
No. 15, Pittsburgh, 1,050 points - third, fourth and fifth.
No. 16, Dallas, 1,000 points - third and fourth.
No. 17, Baltimore, 950 points, third.
No. 18, New York Jets, 900 - third and receive a fourth from the Jets.
No. 19, Miami, 875 points - fourth and fifth.
No. 20, Arizona, 850 - fourth.
Now, let's consider moving down. Here are the values behind the Packers and approximations of what they would receive for their pick (compensation depends on what picks the trading team has to give):

No. 22, Philadelphia, 780 points - sixth.
No. 23, Kansas City, 760 points - fourth.
No. 24, Cincinnati, 740 points - fourth and sixth.
No. 25, San Diego, 720 points - fourth and fifth.
No. 26, Cleveland, 700 points - fourth.
No. 27, New Orleans, 680 points - fourth, fifth and seventh.
No. 28, Carolina, 660 points - fourth, fifth and sixth.
No. 29, New England, 640 points - third and a fourth or fifth in return from Green Bay.
No. 30, San Francisco, 620 points - third and a fifth in return from Green Bay.
No. 31, Denver, 600 points, - third, fourth and sixth.
No. 32, Seattle, 590 points - third, fourth, fifth and sixth.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Holy crap! Man, was that BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch. Do you remember the hype? That was insane.

Come to think of it, Ron Wolf really, really stunk up the joint in Round 1... for a very long stretch...

1989 Tony Mandarich
1990 Darrell Thompson
1991 Vinnie Clark
1992 Terrell Buckley
1996 Jon Michels
2001 Jamal Reynolds

Surprised we survived that stretch between 1989 and 1992. The only caveat was the other R1 we traded in 1992 for Brett Favre. After that, Wolf followed with a prime pick of Wayne Simmons in 1993 to stop the bleeding... Aaron Taylor followed in 1994, and in 1995, I believe Ron Wolf made his best first round pick ever, one of my all-time favorite Packers players in Craig Newsome. Probably the hardest hitting CB we've ever had in GB, ever. I loved the way this guy played the game.

1992 was Ron Wolf's first year as Packers General Manager. Some Tom Braatz or something like that was making the calls prior.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.