Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
HaHa was probably the best safety in the draft.

That doesn't make him worthy of the 21st pick.

A month or so ago, in the glow of the bowl season and another year of Alabama's semi-pro team, I really was hoping for Dix to fall.

Then, somewhere, I read -- two different places -- that the best comparison as was to Louis Delmas.

Louis Delmas?

Now that is damning with faint praise.

And then I read more and heard more and I realized, there really were no first-round safeties this year after all.

Then I started watching highlight reels and such. And I realized that there was no likely Nick Collins in this draft, just a bunch of guys who are, yes, a lot better than M.D. Jennings. And I started to see the virtues of trade-down-Tedding it this year, and taking one of those other guys later and getting an extra top 100 pick.

Or maybe more than one. (Who knows what kind of trade down might have been available at #26?)

And so, especially, I will be watching to see who is left on the board at pick 19 in the 3rd. And then I'm going to ask, "what could the Packers have had at Cleveland's #26 combined with what was available at pick #81?"

*THAT* needs to be considered in determining the wisdom for this pick.

Clinton-Dix instead of trading down or picking value for the position (Lee, even Dennard) is the same kind of pick as picking A J Hawk vs. risking Haloti Ngata. Not the same quality pick, mind you, but the same philosophy. Picking the safe pick and filling a need. Most of you are okay with it.

Just remember that you when you watch a Lee or a Dennard making all pro and dominating. Just remember when Clinton-Dix plateaus at something less than the AJ Hawk of safety.

Yep, one need has been solved. Hooray.

And watch one of the other holes that can't be filled until next year's draft because Ted neither risked filling a second need or free agency nor traded down in a very deep draft to enable him filling another need with another third round pick.

I'm glad everyone is glad with the pick. I'm glad it was Dix instead of Mosley or Pryor.

And I'm going to watch what is still on the board at 21 in the 2nd. I'm going to watch where Nat Berhe goes and I'm going to compare his career with Dix's career as a Packer.

And I'm really going to watch who is still on the board at pick 81. And I'm going to watch their careers, too.

We'll see.
Added Saturday morning.
Shit shit shit shit!

I have never been so happy in my life missing day two and spending it losing several hundred bucks at PLO instead.

I'm not going to bother saying another word on the first round pick. It's safe. He'll be a starter upgrade. Its a pick that might move one of the worst down-the-middle defenses in the league into the top half.

And compared to day 2? Shit, you guys are bitching about uffda or other voices of dismay and criticism in the other threads. Uffda is fucking mild compared to my thoughts when I got up on three hours sleep and saw how much Day 2 is going to improve that same defense.

Deepest top-100 draft in years. So what does GB do?

Manages to pick the one of the most overrated WRs in the draft. I hope those of you that have been expressing such confidence in Boykins are correct. This doesn't make up for letting either Jennings or Jones go. Hell, I'd rather Ted had decided to bring Donald Driver back. Or maybe James Lofton. Shit.

Follows this by the pick of a developmental pick bypassing players at the same position that could have offered B J Raji competition on day one. Shit squared.

And then spends its final top-100 pick on a weak pick at a position that may have been perhaps the shallowest quality pool of any position. Shit cubed.

I knew I should have taken advantage of my host's moonshine and single-malt collection last night instead of sticking to one 7 oz bottle of Corona and then water and coffee. This is a morning after day two that would have perfect for blaming on a killer hangover.

Shit!

I'm really glad I spent eight hours losing at the poker table. I would have likely broken things if I'd gone online to watch the draft tracker.

I'm glad you all are okay with the picks, though.

Me, I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed because I think that Ted got outdrafted this year by the likes of Jerry Jones, the Bidwells, and whoever is in charge in Detroit this year.

Shit.

Before I left for my game last night I started the first part of what I expected to be a very long post carefully explaining why I thought trading down for at least one extra top-100 pick would have been better than going Ha Ha at #21.

But don't worry. You'll never see it. This is the last bit of "over the top draft negativity," the last bit of "whining," and all the rest you're going to see from me on Ted's first round choice. I'm not going to bother.

Because you assholes are already proven absolutely correct about the Dix pick. Forget everything I said in my earlier whines and Thompson criticism.

You were absolutely correct.

Extra top 100 picks would have been wasted on Ted this year.

He definitely avoided the big time pitfalls of trading down.

This way he can put off until day three picking gems like Taylor Martinez , Silas Redd, or Pat O'Donnell.

Shit.

See you in a couple weeks. Or whenever. I'm imposing a moratorium on myself for awhile.

Shit. Shit.

Bye, fuckers.

Shit. Shit. Shit.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
millertime
9 years ago
You will be missed...

😢 😢 😢
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Oh gosh someone get this guy a crying towel 🤦
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
p.s. I forgot to add this. Consider it a footnote rant.

A list of the PICKS still on the board I would have taken at each of the positions Ted drafted in rounds 2, before I took any of the players he chose:

Wide receiver:
Donte Montcrief
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
J. Jones
Ryan Grant
Jared Abbrederis
Devin Street
Robert Herron
Dri Archer
Jeff Janis

Defensive linemen:
DuQuan Jones
Daniel McCullers
Caraun Reid
Ed Stinson
Chris Smith
Brent Urban
Ryan Carrethers
Zach Moore
Jackson Jeffcoat
Jonathan Newsome

Tight end:
Crockett Gilmore
Joe Don Duncan
Colt Lyerla
Marcel Jensen
Blake Annen
Rob Blanchflower
Jordan Navjar
Jake Murphy
Kaneakua Friel

Darkane: No need to waste a good towel. Day two isn't worth that much. Maybe one of those disposable preparation H wipes.

(no more footnotes.)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
9 years ago
Enjoy your moratorium bud. Sorry to see you are that torched.

Me, I'm disappointed to some degree, because the R3s, to me, could have been had later. But, I'm not doing this for a living, and Ted and his staff are, with a lot more info. If they were wrong, we'll know after this or next season. If they were right, we'll know that too.

They made some bold moves. Of that there is no doubt. I cannot blame you for being pissed. Maybe that will wear off over time.

After reviewing Richard Rodgers, I came away pretty impressed with what he brings to GB. And, I was surprised by that. He could turn out to be a very, very good player for the Packers.

The Thornton pick at 86, that one seemed way, way, way too early, but they must have wanted him that badly. Time will tell.

I do think you are wrong about the Davante Adams pick at 53. The more I look at the guy, the more I see a better Sterling Sharpe, a better, bigger, stronger Greg Jennings. And, the guy catches everything. Do we not need that? What is not to like? That he didn't make YOUR board?

Touchdown machine. This is an extraordinarily productive WR. Who was more productive on your board than Adams? If the results are that he catches everything and scores at a very high rate, I'll take that any day. I think Davante Adams was a really, really great pick.

FYI:
NOT ONE of those WRs you listed was more productive than Adams.

NOT ONE of those TEs you listed was more productive than Rodgers.

Now, if we had taken a guy named Rob Blanchflower, I might be doing what you are right now... 😆
DarkaneRules
9 years ago

Enjoy your moratorium bud. Sorry to see you are that torched.

Me, I'm disappointed to some degree, because the R3s, to me, could have been had later. But, I'm not doing this for a living, and Ted and his staff are, with a lot more info. If they were wrong, we'll know after this or next season. If they were right, we'll know that too.

They made some bold moves. Of that there is no doubt. I cannot blame you for being pissed. Maybe that will wear off over time.

After reviewing Richard Rodgers, I came away pretty impressed with what he brings to GB. And, I was surprised by that. He could turn out to be a very, very good player for the Packers.

The Thornton pick at 86, that one seemed way, way, way too early, but they must have wanted him that badly. Time will tell.

I do think you are wrong about the Davante Adams pick at 53. The more I look at the guy, the more I see a better Sterling Sharpe, a better, bigger, stronger Greg Jennings. And, the guy catches everything. Do we not need that? What is not to like? That he didn't make YOUR board?

Touchdown machine. This is an extraordinarily productive WR. Who was more productive on your board than Adams? If the results are that he catches everything and scores at a very high rate, I'll take that any day. I think Davante Adams was a really, really great pick.

FYI:
NOT ONE of those WRs you listed was more productive than Adams.

NOT ONE of those TEs you listed was more productive than Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

By the way, regardless of what the draft nerds think, our staff has to worry about who any of the other 3-4 teams plan to take with their picks. So a guy may be lower on other boards and higher on a 3-4 team's board. Juuust sayin'
play2win
9 years ago

p.s. I forgot to add this. Consider it a footnote rant.

A list of the PICKS still on the board I would have taken at each of the positions Ted drafted in rounds 2, before I took any of the players he chose:

Wide receiver:
Donte Montcrief
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
J. Jones
Ryan Grant
Jared Abbrederis
Devin Street
Robert Herron
Dri Archer
Jeff Janis

Defensive linemen:
DuQuan Jones
Daniel McCullers
Caraun Reid
Ed Stinson
Chris Smith
Brent Urban
Ryan Carrethers
Zach Moore
Jackson Jeffcoat
Jonathan Newsome

Tight end:
Crockett Gilmore
Joe Don Duncan
Colt Lyerla
Marcel Jensen
Blake Annen
Rob Blanchflower
Jordan Navjar
Jake Murphy
Kaneakua Friel

Darkane: No need to waste a good towel. Day two isn't worth that much. Maybe one of those disposable preparation H wipes.

(no more footnotes.)

Originally Posted by: Wade 

How about a maxi pad? 😆 😆 😆 😆
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I just want Packer fans to chill. A lot of them are acting like fans of a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in decades.
play2win
9 years ago

I just want Packer fans to chill. A lot of them are acting like fans of a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in decades.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

FYI, I am saying that in total jest to my friend Wade...

I think there are few who put more into building out trade down scenarios than both Wade and Buckeye... That is a lot of work, a lot of reviews to search through. I can't begrudge anyone who is pissed about our day two picks. It is an honest reaction to 3 entirely out of the box selections.

Granted, two of the selections have remarkable statistics to stand on in Adams and Rodgers. While under the radar to most, even some of the biggest draft prognosticators, those picks can be backed up with their numbers. The Thornton kid is completely out of nowhere...

We've all been bashing this shit around for months... no harm in some posters blowing off some steam here.

Thanks Zero2Cool for the awesome site! Your efforts are appreciated here. Indeed.
musccy
9 years ago
although I don't feel quite as strongly as Wade on his position, I do agree with what he was saying.

There were draftniks that didn't feel there was a 1st round safety in this draft, yet 4 went because teams were meeting need rather than value. He makes good analogies. Gabbert and Weeden were highly ranked at their positions too.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Ted on WRs, he's had a good history, especially with mid-rounders.