uffda udfa
9 years ago
If you wanted the Packers to add pieces to be able to beat the likes of Seattle and SF they didn't do it in this draft. I realize most rookie draft classes aren't going to be huge difference makers but you can usually find a player, or two, that can help elevate your franchise. I truly don't believe we got that from this draft and to think we're going to get it with the remaining picks is highly unlikely.

Ironically, I like TT's 4th round selection...I hope he can play ILB... will be yet another position switcher which drives me a little nuts. Find a guy who plays a position you need and draft that guy and let him play where he plays. That is a Packers staple. Never drafting a guy for his actual position. Yes, versatility is nice but c'mon. We did this on the OL for years to our detriment.

Wade, I feel you brother... I honestly have never been more depressed after 3 rounds of a Packers draft than I was with this one. It's compounded by this being one of the better drafts for talent and getting so little bang for the buck. No sizzle at all here. None. Zero. Middling athletes who don't run all that well. Some buy into the fact that Davante Adams WR buddy at Fresno guarantees he's faster than 4.56, or the fact that Davante said ain't nobody caught him? Yeah, because the guys you torched will be working at Home Depot in a few months. He played very inferior competition in college and he should be able to outrun them. The NFL is going to a more and more speed game and we're still drafting like we're trying to field a team to play in mud.

It's just kinda how things fell....literally. Biggest lie ever. Ted Thompson just picking for need pick after pick never BPA. It is just uncanny that through 5 total swings every single one is at a position of need. That is strange. What are the odds?

Come back Wade...joy awaits in Rounds 5-7.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

evad04
9 years ago
Yes ... Let the hate flow through you, Wade.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
The_Green_Ninja
9 years ago
I love how some people just love to believe that "trading down" is as easy as "I want to trade down." Has anyone ever thought that many teams really didn't really care to pick 21? (Besides the Browns but even then how much were they offering?)
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
This is one of Teds worst drafts methinks.

Contrasting with the physical freaks that Seattle is stacking, ours are largely unimpressive.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Dulak
9 years ago

This is one of Teds worst drafts methinks.

Contrasting with the physical freaks that Seattle is stacking, ours are largely unimpressive.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Ha ... ya - I agree ... although our 1st round pick I dont have a problem with - if we really needed a safety and he was the best one on the board. Which we do need a safety and ok lets say he is the best on the board.

What we going to take? a WR or whatever and then pick a leftover safety?... Im cool with with the 21st but after that bleh ... dont see physical freaks like laser gunns mentioned. Have to see how it pans out.

DoddPower
9 years ago
I think we need to call the wambulance for some on this board.

UserPostedImage

The NFL draft shouldn't upset one so much. Personally, I rather like the draft, for the most part. I think the Packers added several nice players. It may not have been a grand slam, but it certainly isn't bad, and I think several of the players taken will prove that over the next few years. There is only a pick or two that made me scratch my head, but after researching them a bit, I can understand it.

If 2-3 of these players turn out to be key members of the Green Bay Packers, it will be a pretty good draft. I don't think it's a stretch to see at least four players doing so. That's pretty good. The wide receiving core has been restocked, a couple nice defenders were added, a decent tight end, and a developmental CB. I'll take it. The Packers will undoubtedly be a better team, and it won't take much for them to realistically compete with, and defeat, any team in the NFL, imo. At least when Aaron Rodgers and Eddie Lacy are healthy. Not too shabby for picking at position 21.

Edit: And some center depth.
dfosterf
9 years ago
Take that time off, if you need it. This could be the absolute worst Ted Thompson draft in his history. It could just as easily be his best. We don't know, for one simple reason.

No one does.

I'm not feelin' his draft, but I never do.

Couple of draft curmudgeons, lol
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Every single player is talented. It is the coaching staff that has to MAXIMIZE said talent. And that is why I have been harping for years that we do NOT need to draft more OL in the first round. We need a better OL coach.

When looking at the players it is best to ask ... are they coachable rather than "who are similar to in the pro game"?
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago
Watch this be one of our best drafts ever. Who knows? But it is without a doubt far too early to know, by at least 1 year...
Rockmolder
9 years ago
Calm down, Wade. I know you, you're rational. There's no need for this. Let's calm you down a bit.

You've seen Ha Ha compared to Louis Delmas a lot? I can see why that would make you rather unhappy. Delmas was a corner/safety tweener. Not skilled enough to cover as a corner, not really bulky enough to be a complete safety.

Delmas and Clinton-Dix can both function as rangy centerfielders. Maybe Delmas even more than Clinton-Dix. Thing is, Ha Ha tackles, as well. Delmas doesn't make catches on potentiel interceptions, where Clinton-Dix does. He's taller than Delmas.

Maybe Louis can take him on athleticism alone, but Clinton-Dix is the superior football player.

Next to that, I've also seen Ha Ha been compared to slightly less athletic Eric Berry. Now that's a comparison I'm happy to take.

I see that you're also pretty down on our second round pick. You know who he reminds me of the most of the players on our team? Jermichael Finley.

I know, it's not exactly the same position, but Finley was, in essence, a receiving TE who couldn't block and lined up in WR slots a lot of the time.

Adams, looking as his tape, is a WR who's build as a small TE, has receiving-TE speed, can't block and catches everything in the area code.

I know, the comparison doesn't match completely, height-speed doesn't hold up completely and he most likely will never line up next ot the tackle, but I do feel that a lot of the plays that where designed for Finley, they could slide in Adams and still run them.

And it's not like he can't play outside. Far from it.

I think that this was a very smart pick. Especially with Nelson and/or Cobb most likely gone next year. I wouldn't have minder a first round receiver, either.

As for the rest of the guys you refer to as reaches, I always like to go back and read this  about the 2005 draft.

Cornerback Nick Collins and wide receiver Terrence Murphy, both taken in the second round, were fourth-round prospects, at best. None of Green Bay's other picks made any sense. If they passed up on Rodgers in the first round, the Packers would have an F.

One of the better safeties we've ever had was a reach. The other was a guy who had a career ending injury in his first season.

And wasn't Underwood a great value pick in that year's draft? A lot of players have very different values in GMs eyes and in the eyes of "draft experts". While even the first (two) round(s) are a crapshoot, I'm beginning to believe that there's not a sensible thing you can say about the rounds after that.

I remember Mike Mitchell being called the worst 2nd round pick ever in the 2009 NFL Draft. He just signed a $25 million contract with the Steelers.

Thornton is a guy who has some untapped potential. Someone who can become a real contributor on defense. I have to admit that I'm not that blown away by Rodgers, either, but he's pretty raw and he could be a better pro than college player.

If you where to believe all those draft board, we more than made up for it by selecting a guy like Carl Bradford who could become a day 1 starter and was gone long before our pick in the 4th round in most mock draft. I saw him go in the 2nd, mostly. He has the athleticism to cover the middle of the field, he can rush the pasher and has a great motor. If he can become a bit more of a thumper in the middle of our defense, he'll be a longtime starter.

I'm not going to go in-depth on all the players, but I feel like that, if you follow pre-draft predicitions and talent evaluation, he made some great pick in the later rounds.

It's really not all that bad as you make it out to be, Wade. I know you're an O-line enthousiast, but I don't feel like we could've added anyone at those positions with a pick that combined value with an upgrade more than we did now.

Lastly, I don't really feel like I'm an asshole, but you're doing quite well on the Foster replacement front.