play2win
9 years ago

Add to that our two tweeners Peppers and Neal. If everyone is healthy, Dom Capers might finally be able to work some of his magic he has rarely been able to use.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Yeah, we really haven't had this much talent up front since the days of Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown, Sean Jones, Wayne Simmons, George Koonce and Bernardo Harris/Ron Cox...

This could be really, really good. we have to see how it all comes together, but Capers has some very serious players to work with.

Honestly, look at what our pass rush has been over the last 3 years. And, we have climbed in sacks. Last year we were rated #9 in sacks in the NFL with 45. In 2012 we were rated #4 with 47. In 2011 we were rated #27 with 29...

This year's front 7 should turn in our top numbers alone, minus the blitzing CBs and Ss. The front 7 may very well eclipse that 47 total.

As a result, our secondary will have a field day out there making picks... this is starting to look like a very different defense, on paper. Can't wait to see it for reals!
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Yeah, we really haven't had this much talent up front since the days of Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown, Sean Jones, Wayne Simmons, George Koonce and Bernardo Harris/Ron Cox...

This could be really, really good. we have to see how it all comes together, but Capers has some very serious players to work with.

Honestly, look at what our pass rush has been over the last 3 years. And, we have climbed in sacks. Last year we were rated #9 in sacks in the NFL with 45. In 2012 we were rated #4 with 47. In 2011 we were rated #27 with 29...

This year's front 7 should turn in our top numbers alone, minus the blitzing CBs and Ss. The front 7 may very well eclipse that 47 total.

As a result, our secondary will have a field day out there making picks... this is starting to look like a very different defense, on paper. Can't wait to see it for reals!

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I know our sacks have gone up the past two seasons but hasn't our defense efficiency been in the pits? As in, we only get a lot of sacks because our defense is on the field a lot? Hence the high sack numbers but declining TOs.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
9 years ago

I know our sacks have gone up the past two seasons but hasn't our defense efficiency been in the pits? As in, we only get a lot of sacks because our defense is on the field a lot? Hence the high sack numbers but declining TOs.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Yeah, but that's where the new front 7 comes in. 5.5 of those sacks came from our DBs. How many other times were they forced to blitz and didn't get home to the QB?

Now, if we can get those same numbers just from our front 7, and I think we will, this will make for a far more effective and efficient defense, with what I anticipate will be a return to the pick machine we were used to seeing.

We've gone 3 years without an adequate pass rush opposite Matthews. Now, we've added at the very least, 3 new pass rushers to jump in on that other side, along with a 1st round pick in Datone Jones who should begin making a name for himself this season. Perry can be relegated to working the right side of the D where he is more comfortable and effective, in a rotation with Matthews.

Having Casey Hayward back should be a great help in our secondary, not to mention the addition of Clinton-Dix.

To me, this is looking really good.

Nice Q&A with Todd Graham, ASU's LB coach on Carl Bradford:

On the Packers fit… “The Packer fans are going to get a guy who plays with passion. He’s a perfect fit for the 3-4, he’s a perfect fit for the way you guys attack. Obviously playing opposite one of the best outside linebackers in the country will be something. I think he’s a guy who will start with the potential to be an all-pro.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/259074521.html#ixzz31hcRGXpp 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

FYI, posted while wearing my Sun Devil jersey... 😆 No shit.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
If you want to read an article that will get you fired up about a player this is it... p2w, are you sure this guy isn't the next LT?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/259074521.html 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
9 years ago

If you want to read an article that will get you fired up about a player this is it... p2w, are you sure this guy isn't the next LT?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/259074521.html 

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

😆

Yeah, well, it is pretty cool to add a player like him to this defense opposite Matthews. I'm not kidding, his playing style is very unique in that he is relentless. He does bring a Tasmanian Devil kind of quality to our pass rush. Doesn't always get home, but no one always does. He can get blocked out. But, he will get there. A lot. He is also able to elude blockers to create some pretty good disruption, in rushing the passer, pass coverage, and stopping the run.

Being an ASU fan, I've watched him the last couple of years and he has really come on. We all know Matthews style, with his arms flailing purposefully to take a blocker out of a play and make his way to the QB. Bradford's is similar, but even more, I guess, unpredictable. Non stop motor. I have hopes that he will turn out to be a great pick for the Packers. 4th Round? Steal.

Who, exactly, will teams be doubling on our front 7? This is going to be awesome. A friend of mine recently pegged this the "Oh Shit!" Defense. Because, that is what our opponents will be saying, every play.

All of a sudden, we are really deep, with a lot of good, solid play makers up there. This is going to be a very different looking defense for the Green Bay Packers. Far better than anything we have seen in some time.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
We shall see... The off season is where hope springs eternal. We don' t know if we'll head into week one with 3-4 guys injured or all healthy. Peppers may be finished, or be rejuvenated. Clay may or may not be the same due to his thumb issue. Perry may never be able to stay healthy. Bradford may have too short of arms. Thornton may be boom or bust. Our front 7 is dancing in our heads under the very best case scenario and that rarely, if ever, happens. I keep thinking Eagles and their dream team... total failure.
Mike McCarthy has made these bold proclamations we'll be better on D. I don't doubt that but by what degree will we be better? Slight? Major? I'll reserve judgment. Our ILB's still look weak and Ha Ha hasn't played a down next to an underachieving Burnett. Shields has his big money now... Will he be the same player? Will any of our young guys show improvement?

The run D scares me to death. Jolly was a huge part of us being good against it early in the season. After we lost him, we were freaking terrible. Jolly is likely done and I don't know if we have anything to replace him with. Raji is an uninspiring player. I think our pass D should be better...better pass rush. Back to run D, Peppers isn't exactly a run stopping wizard coming over from a Chicago line that was abysmal last season.

Lots of wild cards with our UDFA class. Hoping 1 or 2 can contribute ala Shields from a few years ago.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Temperance is rarely observed but I will bite; You are probably right with everything you just said, but we can hope for the best can't we? I am an optimistic sort of guy. It's in my nature.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
play2win
9 years ago
Mine too DarkaneRules. Mine too.

This is all on paper. Of course we will have to have a lot of things go right, but, we are due for a change on the injury front, and that would be for the better, because it can't possibly get worse. Add to that, the last time we opened the season against the Super Bowl Champs on a Thursday Night, was the 2010 season where we faced NO, and we went on to win another SB.

So, I think this is going to be a pretty fucking good year for us!

....temperance.... phtuuuu (spit!) 😆
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Temperance is rarely observed but I will bite; You are probably right with everything you just said, but we can hope for the best can't we? I am an optimistic sort of guy. It's in my nature.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Absolutely!

I just like a little objectivity with my fandom. IE: If I was to go around and look at message boards for the 31 other teams I would find optimism way out of touch with reality. At the Vikings boards, I watched some of their fans talk about who they wanted and didn't want prior to the draft. Many were totally against Teddy Bridgewater. Now, that he's their guy, all of a sudden he's a great pick and he's the one to lead them to the first ring in franchise history. How is that not laughable? A week ago you were praying and hoping you drafted anyone but Bridgewater and now you have him and they act like they got the guy they wanted all along. That stuff doesn't work for me. I said the one thing I didn't want in Round 1 was a Bama player whether Dix or Mosley. We got Dix... I will not now change course and think Dix is some kind of answer. I will continue to be concerned he will never be much of anything other than an upgrade from the woeful MD Jennings which is what I would've felt from a 7th round safety selection. I was hoping for sizzle players guys with unique measurables. The D didn't get any of those. As bad as the D has been, that is a grave concern to me. So, I hope things are going to be better but I certainly don't, when pressed, believe that all of a sudden we're going to be a defensive powerhouse. There is no evidence to even suggest that we will be. We'll need the very best case scenario in order to pull off what many fans have dancing in their heads right now and that is highly unlikely. I will hope for it, also, knowing that just being a little better is likely the reality with our D.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.