Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 11:47:35 AM(UTC)
Numerous outlets say the talent is there for Colt Lyerla, and there is absolutely no question about it.

He's 6'4" and 242 pounds and clocked a 4.61 in the 40 yard dash.

Unfortunately he's a more troubled version of Jermichael Finley. Yep, he says some stupid crap on Twitter. The worse things are his drug arrest and other off field issues.

Everything that Johnny Jolly went through, if Jolly can reach out to this kid and bring him down to earth, I think it'll be a huge catch for the Packers.

Read his Draft Profile for more information.
http://www.nfl.com/draft...s/colt-lyerla?id=2543636
Laser Gunns  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 11:51:49 AM(UTC)
Talented guy, but a complete idiot.

Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 12:28:49 PM(UTC)
Where the hell is my popcorn when some comment on this prospect.... [grin1]

On a serious note.. worth a look.. on a UDFA deal if they bring him in, there is little risk if he steps out of line. Drop the hammer quicker than a hiccup.
wpr  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:10:08 PM(UTC)
not packer people. ban him. [grin1]

Actually he is worth a look. That doesn't cost them anything. If they send him packing it still doesn't cost them anything.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:17:17 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
not packer people. ban him. [grin1]

[-x [mfing] [mfing] ](*,) [-x
uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:24:55 PM(UTC)
THRILLED with this move. Yes. He was a guy I was hoping we'd use a 7th rounder on but I guess we didn't need to. Pretty amazing the guy didn't even get signed as an UDFA. He has to just tryout. Wow.

I hope he gets his act together for himself and then for the Green Bay Packers. This guy could be a monumental addition or merely just a mental one.
mi_keys  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:06:18 PM(UTC)
No risk and all reward (if he pans out). He's someone I wanted. If not for the off field issues this guy was arguably an early second round pick. If he gets his act together and sticks, this could be a huge steal.
steveishere  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:27:30 PM(UTC)
They didn't sign him he's on a tryout with like 30 other players.
mi_keys  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:32:57 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
They didn't sign him he's on a tryout with like 30 other players.

:-$
porky88  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:54:56 PM(UTC)
Quote:
From a talent standpoint, Lyerla is one of the top 100 players of his class. However, red flags drop his draft stock. Last October, he was arrested for cocaine possession. Ultimately, he and Oregon parted ways from one another. Misgivings aside, Lyerla’s combination of size and athleticism is what teams want in the modern-day tight end. He’s a natural pass catcher and hustles on every play. With a high ceiling, it seems likely somebody will take a flier on him in the later rounds.

That was my scouting report on him.

I rated him higher than Richard Rodgers.
wpr  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 4:42:52 PM(UTC)
porky88 said: Go to Quoted Post
That was my scouting report on him.

I rated him higher than Richard Rodgers.

Lindy's has him rated higher as well. # 10 TE vs #11. both rated 6.0 on a 9.0 scale which means key reserve. Was projected to go a round higher at 5th or 6th vs 6th or 7th.
Mucky Tundra  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 11:39:05 PM(UTC)
Def worth a look. If he gets a contract, any chance to make the roster or PS?

*insert Packers People comment here*
Mucky Tundra  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:17:55 AM(UTC)
Oregon's Colt Lyerla, with help of Hillsboro Spartans family, overcomes childhood trials

Quote:
But within the hulking, reluctant star still resides the anxiety of an often painful childhood he doesn't care to revisit. Dysfunctional home life. Little direction. Plenty of anger and frustration.

To those who know him well, it's a miracle he is attending college, let alone starring for the nation's No. 2 ranked team.

How Lyerla has made it this far is one aspect of his past he doesn't mind discussing. How through the help of coaches, teachers, counselors, administrators and parents of friends he overcame precarious pitfalls to stay in school, remain focused and live up to his potential.

Quote:
The goal wasn't simply to get him to college but to provide him with the skills necessary to survive.

Hillsboro High turned out to be Lyerla's haven.

"I really just tried to stay focused and channel into sports," Lyerla says. "I spent all of my time at HilHi, really."

Says Ingram: "That's where he's at home, on the football field. When he could be there he was in his world."

wpr  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:29:04 AM(UTC)

If Driver were still on the team he would have been a huge asset to this young man.
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:40:08 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
If Driver were still on the team he would have been a huge asset to this young man.

Donald Driver doesn't need to be on the team to be an asset. That same application goes to the Johnny Jolly reference made earlier.

A man can help a man without being in the same uniform. We shouldn't have such boundaries when helping another person.
wpr  
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 7:56:23 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Donald Driver doesn't need to be on the team to be an asset. That same application goes to the Johnny Jolly reference made earlier.

A man can help a man without being in the same uniform. We shouldn't have such boundaries when helping another person.

Sigh. I am talking about opportunity. Of course Driver can offer support from where ever he is at. It is not the same. The impact isn't as strong. The relationship not as deep or binding.

If Donald isn't in the locker room with Lyeria it is a little more difficult to strike up a conversation with him. Driver certainly can call him on the phone but that is a lot different than having lunch together in the team dinning room or inviting him over to his home and playing Madden or Space Invaders or whatever they would do.

Texting once a week is not as strong of a tie as seeing each other every single day on the field.

Likewise with Jolly. Is he even in GB at this time? Do they have any plans to renew his contract?

Believe it or not kids being face to face is a better way to develop interpersonal relationships. It is a superior way to communicate. Phone calls, texts, emails and the like are a distance second at best.
Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:43:52 AM(UTC)
The Green bay Packers have a player development program/staff. That is how you help troubled players. I believe Edgar Bennett was assigned this role very early in his career and he was assigned to mentor a troubled player. Obviously, that is the capacity I am talking about as it would be on a daily basis. I don't believe one has to shower naked with a grown man to grow a bond with them.

Harry Sydney has a foundation here called "My Brothers Keeper" and has helped an abundance of troubled boys and men.

The point I have clearly made is this. There are options for the kid, even in the small town of Green Bay, WI.
Mucky Tundra  
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:49:05 AM(UTC)
So if it's true that they cleaned out Jolly's locker, then can the team sign him to some kind of contract to look after this guy similar to what the Cowboys did with Dez Bryant? And maybe have Jolly be a assistant to Mike Trgovac? Like, teach guys how to swat down passes?
wpr  
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:58:20 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
The Green bay Packers have a player development program/staff. That is how you help troubled players. I believe Edgar Bennett was assigned this role very early in his career and he was assigned to mentor a troubled player. Obviously, that is the capacity I am talking about as it would be on a daily basis. I don't believe one has to shower naked with a grown man to grow a bond with them.

Harry Sydney has a foundation here called "My Brothers Keeper" and has helped an abundance of troubled boys and men.

The point I have clearly made is this. There are options for the kid, even in the small town of Green Bay, WI.

I never said that the City of Green Bay nor Packers Inc have no options available to them at all.

What I said was it would have been nice if Driver was able to be a role model to him as a member of the team.

Instead of having 3 or 4 options maybe it is the 5th option that would have worked best for him. It is one thing for an adviser to tell him to get his act together. It is another thing for someone who actually lived on the street and had a tough childhood to tell him he too can overcome his past.

Who knows as someone else suggested perhaps it would be Jolly that would work the best.
Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:01:48 PM(UTC)
Rss Feed