DakotaT
9 years ago
Lyerla's place on the depth chart is going to come down to his blocking ability, because his receiving is already superior to the rest of these guys. I think counting on Finley is ridiculous - stick a fork in him. I would say this is the year to keep a 6th wide receiver and 3rd quarterback, so four tight just might be our number and Play's list is probably spot on.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

Lyerla's place on the depth chart is going to come down to his blocking ability, because his receiving is already superior to the rest of these guys. I think counting on Finley is ridiculous - stick a fork in him. I would say this is the year to keep a 6th wide receiver and 3rd quarterback, so four tight just might be our number and Play's list is probably spot on.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Hey man, I could easily see any of the 3 of Bostick, Lyerla, and Rodgers fighting for that #2, but I do think these will be our 3 along with Quarless at the #1.

Maybe the Stoneburner kid comes in and challenges. Really tough to tell from here not knowing how these guys have developed in the offseason.

And, Rodgers was touted as a very good cut blocker. If he comes in with more weight than he played at last year, and everything I've read points to that, Richard Rodgers could wind up our #2. I think placing these players is a solid crap shoot right now, but I like the talent on board, and I'm sure Aaron Rodgers will love it once camp starts.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Quarless is th #1 TE. Bostick has a chance to show he can be that guy, but he has to prove he can get deep and split the seams. He also has to show that the NFL isn't too big for him.

These TEs are like WRs. They will take a year to develop and get up to speed. Just like Finley did. Quarless was pressed into service as a rookie, and did ok. But he was in over his head.

Lyerla and Rodgers will make a place for themselves on ST, pushing Ryan Taylor and possibly Stoney off the team. I still like Stoneburner though. He could be another Havner type guy. But him and Taylor are the bubble players. They make the team as depth/ST/Hbacks if there is an injury in the position group above them.

And what are the odds of THAT?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago

My point is Ted Thompson knows neither of Lyerla or Rodgers will last on the PS. That is my own line of thinking.

To me, the mere signing of Lyerla by Thompson to GBs roster was just the credence other teams needed and would assume in stealing him away from our PS to sign to their own team.

As for Rodgers, Thompson took him at the end of R3 because other teams were poised to jump on him to be a #2 TE. Again, I believe Rodgers has too much talent to last on our PS, without blindly overvaluing him because he is one of ours...

That leaves Quarless, Bostick and Stoney as the top remaining candidates to win 2 roster positions.

Quarless was our starting TE when we last won the SB. He is our best blocking TE. I see him as the clear #1 at this point.

That leaves the last two, neither of which showed enough in 2013 to warrant a clear picture on where they sit on our depth chart at TE, fighting for the last position. Taylor is simply too one dimensional. Not a particularly good in line blocker, not a good receiver, but solid in STs.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I'm not sure that the 31 other GMs in the league need Ted Thompson's stamp of approval to sign a troubled player who has talent but I agree that it is unlikely that either (Rodgers or Lyerla) would last on the PS.

play2win
9 years ago

I'm not sure that the 31 other GMs in the league need Ted Thompson's stamp of approval to sign a troubled player who has talent but I agree that it is unlikely that either (Rodgers or Lyerla) would last on the PS.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

No, not at all, but now that Thompson has broken the ice...

Doesn't really matter. He will make the 53 IMO.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Rodgers and Lyerla (assuming no new off-field negatives) will both make the 53. Rodgers may be game day inactive for at least one game to start the season, though.

And you heard it here first: neither Bostick nor Stoneburner nor Taylor will make the team. The fourth TE will either be Perillo or someone as yet unidentified.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
9 years ago
All I know is that it would be excellent if this guy works out, because on balance, Finley has pissed me off. I wish Finley all the success in the world, the inherent talent is obvious, but he can go play for someone else- my personal preference is not in our division, but I'll live if he does. Hit the trail Finley.

I don't feel any real love that so many seem to have for any of our existing tight ends, so this is why I'm rooting for this guy. I don't assign any brilliance to Ted Thompson for making this move, he's just taking a shot. The shot looks good to me.

We'll see.

I had Sam Shields when he was signed as "My guy" for that season. I'm going with the coke-head-asshole as "My guy" for this season. Note how early this prognostication is.
play2win
9 years ago

All I know is that it would be excellent if this guy works out, because on balance, Finley has pissed me off. I wish Finley all the success in the world, the inherent talent is obvious, but he can go play for someone else- my personal preference is not in our division, but I'll live if he does. Hit the trail Finley.

I don't feel any real love that so many seem to have for any of our existing tight ends, so this is why I'm rooting for this guy. I don't assign any brilliance to Ted Thompson for making this move, he's just taking a shot. The shot looks good to me.

We'll see.

I had Sam Shields when he was signed as "My guy" for that season. I'm going with the coke-head-asshole as "My guy" for this season. Note how early this prognostication is.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

😆 😆 😆 😆

Thanks for the belly laugh bud...! That's funny.

Saw in the open OTAs yesterday that Lyerla got a huge ovation from the crowd... He's going to love GB.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=green-bay-packers&id=10059&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.packershome.com%2FLatest.aspx%22%7D