play2win
9 years ago

Among Green Bay’s group of 10 wide receivers, Chris Harper said “being the most physical” will separate him. “I think I’m the strongest,” said the 2013 fourth-round pick who was discarded by Seattle and San Francisco before the Packers picked him up.

JSOnline  wrote:

I'm thinking Chris Harper and our WR group is one of the more compelling stories going into this 2014 season - just because he and this group are so rich in talent.

This player really, really moves, with speed and power, and he makes catches. I'm really amazed by the amount of talent at our WR position. This is going to be one hell of a battle in TC, and we will be cutting very good players. I'm hoping Ted can work a trade, because we have too much as it stands.

Harper could easily work the slot IMO.

Here is more from Jason Wilde:

“Chris has really improved,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after watching Harper make several terrific catches during the June 3 open OTA practice. “I still go back to his K-State film. You talk about a very talented, powerful, young player. He looks more and more comfortable with what we’re asking him to do, and I don’t think that was the case last year when he came here. So he’s having a very good offseason.”

While part of Harper’s problem last year was having three playbooks rattling around in his head, he said he actually picked up the Packers’ offense relatively quickly. His greater issue was undoing what the 49ers had done to him, having worked him as a tight end and H-back in hopes that at 6-foot-1 and 228 pounds and with a less-than-blazing 40 time (4.55 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine), he might be better suited for that position.

“I play receiver. I don’t play tight end, which is what San Fran really had me playing,” Harper said. “I don’t even know how to get into a three-point stance. We had to work on getting into a three-point stance. In the NFL, you shouldn’t have to work on a stance. I had to go back to like Day 1 of football. It was kind of – I don’t know. I don’t want to say it couldn’t have worked out but it was during the season and I missed camp and all the basic stuff.”

Now, that’s exactly what he’s getting in Green Bay – and exactly what he needs.

“I learned the offense and all that, but during practice, I was just thinking. I couldn’t be out there and be natural,” Harper said of last season. “That was probably the biggest thing for me. I knew the plays and I knew a lot of the stuff, [although] not as well as I know it now. I know the intricacies of our offense now, but it’s just being natural. I don’t have to think about it anymore. I can just go for it. I know exactly what everyone is doing. I can just go out there and play.

“Getting the whole offseason, it’s a different world.”

He’ll need that kind of comfort to crack the 53-man roster. After the top four, the Packers are high on rookie fifth-round pick Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin and seventh-round pick Jeff Janis of Saginaw Valley State; while holdovers Myles White (nine receptions last season) and 2013 seventh-round pick Kevin Dorsey are in the mix, too. Even if the Packers keep six wideouts, Harper will still have to make an excellent training-camp and preseason impression to be among them. If he succeeds, he’ll get to line up against the Seahawks in the Sept. 4 regular-season opener.

“Yeah, that’ll definitely be something I use [as motivation],” Harper said.

And yet, Harper clearly doesn’t lack for confidence, as evidenced by what he told Rodgers when the two chatted during OTAs.

“[The number of receivers on the roster] pushes me, but I don’t really think about it like that,” Harper said. “Because like I said to ‘A-Rod,’ I’m not trying to beat anybody out to make the team, I’m trying to start. I’m trying to go for Jordy and Randall, I’m not trying to just play.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&id=14451&is_corp=1 

I know for many that it might be difficult to get excited about this player without having had an opportunity to see him in OTAs. All I can say is WOW! Harper is very, very good - a completely different player than we knew last year. He literally turned heads in the Ray Nitschke Field stands and had people asking, "WHO was THAT?!!!" He is now looking that good. Should make for an incredibly competitive camp.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Needs to loosen up his hips, make his body more fluid. If this dude gets down with that yoga studio, he could displace Boykin.

Abbraderis gets the shot at punt returns, so that's a roster spot. Adams has a spot. And Janis is raw, but better measurables. Then there's Kevin Dorsey too, who I like.

These guys will all get their shots.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago
We'll see, it should be more fun to watch pre-season this year with decent QBs and the crew of WRs we have now instead of just watching Vince Young run around afraid to actually throw the ball.
Dulak
9 years ago

We'll see, it should be more fun to watch pre-season this year with decent QBs and the crew of WRs we have now instead of just watching Vince Young run around afraid to actually throw the ball.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

ya and young was only 1 of em ...

ya I look forward to this preseason also ... be cool to see how this guy does. Hope it works out for him
Yerko
9 years ago
He surely doesn't lack the confidence. The WR position is going to be a hard one to crack on this team. Being realistic, he might get the 6th spot.

Safe:
Nelson
Cobb
Boykin
Adams
Abbrederis (return game automatic)

Adams and Abbrederis will secure the 2 spots after the 3 vets.

Fighting for the 6th spot:
Harper
Janis
White
Dorsey
Gillett

Early prediction, I'd say Harper beats everyone out. Janis is put onto the practice squad. I don't know the situation with the other 3 players (how long they have been on the PS, if they are eligible to return, etc.)

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
If they try putting Janis on the PS, he'll never make it if he shows anything at all during TC and pre-season.

I did find it interesting SF wanted to turn him into a TE due to his poor 4.55 speed and our 2nd rounder has speed that is one hundredth slower at 4.56.

Hopefully, he really is a late bloomer... being cut by two NFL teams is rough in your first year being a 4th rounder. You really have to show nothing to get cut but it was from two of the best rosters in the NFL.

This and the TE roster spots are the two that I'm most looking forward to.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Yerko
9 years ago

If they try putting Janis on the PS, he'll never make it if he shows anything at all during TC and pre-season.

I did find it interesting SF wanted to turn him into a TE due to his poor 4.55 speed and our 2nd rounder has speed that is one hundredth slower at 4.56.

Hopefully, he really is a late bloomer... being cut by two NFL teams is rough in your first year being a 4th rounder. You really have to show nothing to get cut but it was from two of the best rosters in the NFL.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Are you saying he won't make it as in, another team will snatch him up asap? That is in the back of my mind simply because of his numbers and his production at the level of football he played (measurables are nice too). He'd have to put up a pretty big performance in TC and pre-season ball though, wouldn't you think?

Personally, I hope he makes the team. But I also have to sit back and realize he is a 7th round pick from a lower level of college football going up against 2nd year guys that might have a little more than he has in terms of skill and experience.

Is the number of receivers a definite 6? Has there ever been more on the roster? It will be fun to see how this plays out (as well as the tight ends).
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Agreed, but they could IR him or one of the other guys.

What are the odds that all the WR on this team will remain healthy?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
The only muscle that matters to him right now is the hamstring. Get that shit right Chris.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
hardrocker950
9 years ago

He surely doesn't lack the confidence. The WR position is going to be a hard one to crack on this team. Being realistic, he might get the 6th spot.

Safe:
Nelson
Cobb
Boykin
Adams
Abbrederis (return game automatic)

Adams and Abbrederis will secure the 2 spots after the 3 vets.

Fighting for the 6th spot:
Harper
Janis
White
Dorsey
Gillett

Early prediction, I'd say Harper beats everyone out. Janis is put onto the practice squad. I don't know the situation with the other 3 players (how long they have been on the PS, if they are eligible to return, etc.)

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Seems the most likely scenario. This is a tough team to make the WR cut on, but he has a legit shot at it.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.