wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Stretching does suck. I would imagine that it is very hard to enforce on young athletes. That being said, I think we need a very enforced regimen, though I admit that I do not know if it was already in place. I think it's possibly the hardest thing to get a young man to do.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

you are probably right. In high school I recall a coach walking every line of players. Perhaps they watched a couple of lines. The HC stood and looked over the whole team. They already know who goes through the motions and who gives it the full effort. The big tubbies are probably some of the worst offenders while the backs and wrs are generally more dedicated. These days they can put someone in the tower to watch. they can film it and chew the players out one on one or in team meetings as they see fit.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
9 years ago

I have a problem with folks always trying to medicate or apply bandaids to things. My perception is, find the source, find the root cause and fix that and everything else will flow well down stream.

Example. You're getting headaches three or four times a week. Most will load up on painpills. I think that is wrong. Go in, get checked out and find the root cause of your headaches. Fix the root of the problem.

I've said this before too. I watched two or three training camp practices last season and I was appalled by the effort during the stretches. Any trainer worth his/her weight in salt will tell you that the warm-up and stretch are the most important parts to any workout.

The Packers players didn't seem to care about stretching whatsoever. The quad stretches were poor. The bending for hamstring stretches was a joke. It was more or less just lean and go into the next 'stretch'. When you stretch, you really need to feel it for it to be effective.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This is probably the most true post I have seen in quite some time Zero. Couldn't have said it better myself.
PWT36
9 years ago
Eight players didn't practice because of apparent injuries though the Packers don't have to reveal injury information in the off season..

Players injured are : OG Josh Sitton missed some practices in the offseason because of sore back, WR Chris Harper has ham-string injury, OLB Clay Mathews is coming off thumb surgery, RB Johnathon Franklin is coming off of a neck injury last season

Other players injured are LB Nick Perry, TE Andrew Quarless , DL Jerel Worthy
and , CB Jumal Rollie

Source; Green Bay Press-Gazette- Wednesday June 18, 2014 by Pete Dougherty- Press- Gazette media
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

I will agree with all until you get to the trainer. The $50-60-80,000 a year guy will not be able to consistently get the $1,000,000-5,000,000 22 year old kids.

It is Mike's job to either stand out there and enforce the proper stretching techniques or to have one of the coaches maybe even one from the offense and one from the defense out there.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I will have to disagree. It is the trainers responsibility to motivate his/her trainee's. That is the purpose of a trainer. If we all had the motivation and commitment to workout on our own, why would anyone need trainers?

You as the trainer find a way, you don't make excuses. You find a way to get your trainees to do it properly. The trainer is the expert in this regard and they absolutely have to be assertive. The trainer has to get them on the same page as them. If that means making a deal with them, so be it. You have to display confidence in what you're preaching.

If you're going to expect the Head Coach to do the Trainers job, what is the purpose of the trainer? The head coach needs to be the head coach, not the trainer.

If the trainer isn't able to get to the million dollar kids, then find a new trainer that can do their job effectively.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

I will have to disagree. It is the trainers responsibility to motivate his/her trainee's. That is the purpose of a trainer. If we all had the motivation and commitment to workout on our own, why would anyone need trainers?

You as the trainer find a way, you don't make excuses. You find a way to get your trainees to do it properly. The trainer is the expert in this regard and they absolutely have to be assertive. The trainer has to get them on the same page as them. If that means making a deal with them, so be it. You have to display confidence in what you're preaching.

If you're going to expect the Head Coach to do the Trainers job, what is the purpose of the trainer? The head coach needs to be the head coach, not the trainer.

If the trainer isn't able to get to the million dollar kids, then find a new trainer that can do their job effectively.

If the Packers are gonna include salary bonuses for offseason workouts, surely they could include a clause for stretching or doing yoga of some sort.

Incentives for not having a pulled fucking hammy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I am not saying that Mike has to do the trainer's job. I am not saying the trainer (s) don't have a program in place. What I am saying is even if they get down in the face of a player there are 90 of them in TC it is difficult to be all places at one time and if the HC doesn't show up to verify that this is a priority there are some players who will not give it the attention it deserves. Once again it doesn't have to be the HC. Mike can designate it to position coaches to watch their group. The trainer isn't their to look for compliance. he is there to make sure they have the correct technique. They the player is going to his fullest range when stretching.

How many young kids think they are "bullet proof" so to speak? Most. Athletes even more so. Athletes that make it to the pros have had a higher degree of luck when it comes to avoiding injuries than other players. I am not saying none of them have ever had an injury. I am saying that, as a group, they have had less. None of those who have been injured have had a career ending injury. Obviously. Because of their greater resilience to injury there is going to be a degree of apathy to stretching. After all they have not needed to do so for the past 10-15 years so why start now?

A few years ago Mike made ST a priority. He actually showed up for ST practice and low and behold the ST group got better. The last few years has been different because of the player turnover they have not had the same quality on ST as they had in the past. Point is when the HC makes it a priority the players do too.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

A few years ago Mike made ST a priority. He actually showed up for ST practice and low and behold the ST group got better. The last few years has been different because of the player turnover they have not had the same quality on ST as they had in the past. Point is when the HC makes it a priority the players do too.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This year Mike is making the defense a priority.

He SAYS he's making hammy's a priority, but clearly he is not. I submit that injuries are a bigger factor keeping us from the big show than the defense. Just my own two cents.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

If the Packers are gonna include salary bonuses for offseason workouts, surely they could include a clause for stretching or doing yoga of some sort.

Incentives for not having a pulled fucking hammy.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

like to see that ... 20k bonus not to have a pulled hammy, and ACL tears - 1/2 your pay. Back injuries a beating ... and neck injuries - you get to be the training dummie for a week.

Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
Pepper Burruss, Head Athletic Trainer
Dr. Patrick McKenzie, Team Physician
Dr. John Gray, Associate Team Physician
Bryan Engel, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Kurt Fielding, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Nate Weir, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Joshua McCullough, Intern Athletic Trainer
John Michel, Intern Athletic Trainer

These are their trainers ...

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/pepper-burruss/b7cd54fd-6c41-4594-9046-d9ee46552f8f 

This is their head trainer.

Heck - Id like to move back to the states. Wonder how much they pay to get kids to stretch their hammys; prob better then what I am making here.

nerdmann
9 years ago

like to see that ... 20k bonus not to have a pulled hammy, and ACL tears - 1/2 your pay. Back injuries a beating ... and neck injuries - you get to be the training dummie for a week.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

10K per yoga session, something like that. As for neck injuries, 10k per acupuncture treatment.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.