StarrMax1
9 years ago

Real shame about Franklin, sounds like he had a plan for life after football, looks like he will have to start that life early.

Not sure what The Packers organization can do for him, but these are the risks these guys take when they decide they want to play Football.

I was really hoping The Packers would be able to IR Franklin for this year and he would make a full recovery, who knows, he still may do that and be able to revive his career next year.

As for this year, I think The Packers are still in good shape.

Lacy and Starks still give them a pretty good 1-2 punch.

Harris looks like he is finally back.

Let's not forget about Micheal Hill, talented guy who IMO just needs to grow up and come to the realization he has the talent to play, he just needs to act like he is an NFL Player.

Rajon Neal and Ladarius Perkins now have a chance to show The Packers they didn't make a mistake by giving them a chance.

With the beating RB's take throughout a whole season, it's always good to have guys waiting to get their shot.

Not sure if The Packers are better at the RB position, compared to this time last year, but if Harris can stay healthy, I believe they are pretty close.

Lacy, Starks, Harris and (Hill/Neal/Perkins), along with Kuhn for one more year, still looks pretty solid.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

With Franklin gone, how does this affect the roster breakdown? Do we keep another RB around? Are we more keen to keep a 6th WR now? A 5th TE a la 2011? What about our plans for the backfield? Do they try to use Harris in a Sproles like role or do they play cautious with only him, Starks and Lacy on the roster that are locks for the RB spot?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

There are a few options available to the Packers. 3 RB and Kuhn is a bit of a risk. Especially considering how many times the RBs get injured.

A few months ago I was certain the Harris was in danger of not making the team. I figured he would be RB #4 and with Kuhn he would actually be #5. That one of the other SFA might take his spot on the bottom of the depth chart. Now he is almost certainly a lock. I know nothing of Perkins, Hill and Neal. Even so it will be a shock if 2 of the 3 were to make the team.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
9 years ago

Google Nick Collins' injury and the majority of articles that come up cite a herniated disc.

Regardless, just as you admit we don't know the full extent or specifics regarding Franklin's injury, we don't know the details of Collins' injury. Yet this hasn't stopped you from trying to speak from a position of authority on it in just about every thread involving injuries.

Collins also wasn't kicked; he lunged at a Panthers running back that hurdled him, unintentionally spearing the running back on the bottom of his upper thigh/rear end.

And regarding your comment about me laughing, you're right. I am. I don't trust bronze age "medicine" that's been shown to be little more than a placebo effect, especially when you're proposing we trust it to ensure the structural integrity of someone's neck when that person's job involves taking repeated, violent shots to the body. That sounds like a recipe for paralysis.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Sorry but I got to say this ... bleh ...

Just because MDs and surgeons have the public believing the best thing to do for X issue is to take something or cut it out - doesnt mean it is the right thing for people. I dont propose the alternative medicine is the cure all or should be relied on 100%.

but IMO if people used surgery as a last resort; there would be a lot more happier people out there.

I think Nerdmann and I just get frustrated when we see 'healthy' people get surgery and then suffer afterward; as a result their condition returning because surgery does not fix the root cause or losing their NFL career.

steveishere
9 years ago

Just because MDs and surgeons have the public believing the best thing to do for X issue is to take something or cut it out - doesnt mean it is the right thing for people. I dont propose the alternative medicine is the cure all or should be relied on 100%.

but IMO if people used surgery as a last resort; there would be a lot more happier people out there.

I think Nerdmann and I just get frustrated when we see 'healthy' people get surgery and then suffer afterward; as a result their condition returning because surgery does not fix the root cause or losing their NFL career.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

I haven't seen anything suggesting Nick Collins is suffering at all, he just can't play football.
Dulak
9 years ago

I haven't seen anything suggesting Nick Collins is suffering at all, he just can't play football.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

As far as him suffering after surgery; your right we'd have to ask him how is his neck and can we do the things he wants to do with it. We do know he cant play football.

mi_keys
9 years ago

Just because I, and evidently many others on here for that matter, find acupuncture to be utter bs (other than being a placebo effect) based on what studies I've seen doesn't mean we blindly assume everything doctors, surgeons or other health professionals tell us is 100% accurate. There are undoubtedly times when health professionals make mistakes or are overzealous in the prescribed solution.

But I'd also warrant that mistakes and overzealous care are far less likely for professional athletes given the resources and alternative opinions available to them that the common layperson will just never have.

The fallibility of surgeons doesn't make acupuncture or alternative medicine correct.
Born and bred a cheesehead
steveishere
9 years ago

As far as him suffering after surgery; your right we'd have to ask him how is his neck and can we do the things he wants to do with it. We do know he cant play football.

and just because some alternative may have helped some average Joe with a neck injury doesn't mean the same treatment would make it safe for Nick Collins to play football again. I'm sure Collins had plenty of insight into various treatments and such. I see no reason or evidence to assume that him having surgery was a mistake. Players have had the surgery before and still played football it just didn't work out in his case.
DoddPower
9 years ago

Just because I, and evidently many others on here for that matter, find acupuncture to be utter bs (other than being a placebo effect) based on what studies I've seen doesn't mean we blindly assume everything doctors, surgeons or other health professionals tell us is 100% accurate. There are undoubtedly times when health professionals make mistakes or are overzealous in the prescribed solution.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Although I disagree with the placebo claim, does it really matter? Often, perception is reality. If a placebo eliminates the symptoms, than the placebo is just as good as "actual treatment or medicine." The ends justify the means. The brain and mind are powerful things.

Either way, the philosophy of most chiropractic and alternative medicine work is that the body can often heal itself as long as it's allowed to do so. The goal of the treatment is to simply do whatever it takes to facilitate the bodies natural healing processes. Nothing more, really. A few quacks don't represent the majority, just like they shouldn't for western medicine. It's by no means a cure-all, but it's very often a useful and effective component of a treatment regiment. One that is far under-utilized by western medicine. The goal is to target the core issue rather than only the symptoms, which western medicine focuses on almost exclusively for many issues.
evad04
9 years ago
When I heard the awful news yesterday and my mind wandered for a moment, I suspected nerdmann would be leading charge for chiropractic care and alternative medicine. Lucky guess.

I think that Franklin should have have invested in a tarot cards, palm reading, electrodiagnosis, cell salts, a sweat lodge and one of those old fashioned vibrating belts.

Oh and while we're at it, he's a Libra. He should probably look into that.

Career might not be over yet. He just needs to explore his options.

*cough* Bullshit *cough*
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
evad04
9 years ago

I see Franklin as the 4th best of the 4 - Lacy, Starks, Harris, and him. Maybe it's selfish as a Packer fan, but I'd rather see him done than go on to a good career with some other team.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I think your perspective goes far beyond "selfish." Think for a second about what you've said.

The young man is 24 years old and has, like the rest of the league, spent the majority of his life working toward a singular goal: a career in the NFL. A season in and that dream has been shattered.

I know professional athletes make millions of dollars and live glamorous lives, but Franklin sure as shit wasn't to that point yet.

You'd rather see his time as a Packer end because of a spinal cord injury than for him to go on to have a successful career with some other team?

That's cold, man.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (37m) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (38m) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (3h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (4h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (6h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (7h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (13h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (20h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (20h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (20h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Random Babble / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.