nerdmann
9 years ago
CAPERS' LAST STAND 

In any case, the Packers are finally responding to their problems pertaining to youth and health on defense in a "better late than never" sort of way.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I am glad they didn't scapegoat Capers with the personnel issues they've had but if they are healthy and don't seriously improve I think it's been long enough.

If there ARE a bunch of injuries again I would be inclined to clean house all together. At that point I want a head coach who can address the issue with the staff he puts together. I think the repeated lead in players on IR isn't a coincidence.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Capers' thing has always been compensation. We have been damn lucky to have him through the lean years personnel-wise and injury-wise.

It will be interesting to see how he coaches in a situation of plenty. Spot use of his schemes and tricks probably will still help, but I too hope it is more like McCarthy said - more emphasis on personnel and less on schemes.

I've always been a Capers supporter, and I expect him to handle things just fine.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Dulak
9 years ago

CAPERS' LAST STAND 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

We arnt going to have Greene this year 😞 - that guy was a motivator. Never seen a coach with such intensity. I think Matthews with miss him the most.

On to Dom ... like him alot better then sanders ... but gets too conservative.
play2win
9 years ago
Our defensive woes have had way more to do with personnel deficiencies and injuries than Dom Capers. It has taken Ted Thompson 3 years to finally replace the gaping hole left by Nick Collins' loss. I think we might be set now with Hyde, Richardson and Clinton-Dix added to Burnett at S.

Drafting players does not mean the position is automatically addressed. Many of these newly drafted players take about a year to acclimate to the pro game and physique.

Add to it we haven't seriously played in FA until this offseason, and our injuries being over the top, any DC would have struggled. Dom hasn't been perfect either, but I believe Dom Capers will have a great year if we stay healthy. It's been a while since he's had this much talent to work with.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Our defensive woes have had way more to do with personnel deficiencies and injuries than Dom Capers. It has taken Ted Thompson 3 years to finally replace the gaping hole left by Nick Collins' loss. I think we might be set now with Hyde, Richardson and Clinton-Dix added to Burnett at S.

Drafting players does not mean the position is automatically addressed. Many of these newly drafted players take about a year to acclimate to the pro game and physique.

Add to it we haven't seriously played in FA until this offseason, and our injuries being over the top, any DC would have struggled. Dom hasn't been perfect either, but I believe Dom Capers will have a great year if we stay healthy. It's been a while since he's had this much talent to work with.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Dom needs to take the lead in making sure his guys are healthy. If this means standing over them while they stretch, going to yoga with them or cooking them dinner, then so be it. He can also keep guys like Matthews and Perry on a pitch count. That approach worked wonders for Starks last year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago
My problem with Dom is the sheer number of guys who seemingly cannot grasp his scheme (especially on the back end). If you have to keep more talented players on the bench because they don't know the defense as well as vets who aren't very good then you need to make an adjustment. He came in here in 2009 and improved our defense then in 2010 it was great, there weren't a ton of miscommunications and such that we've been seeing and that was only the first two years into the scheme.

It gives the feeling that Dom just kept adding onto his scheme even though a lot of the players that had been in it from day one had moved on for various reasons and the new guys were stuck trying to learn the year 4 or 5 scheme in year 1 or 2. Maybe that's not true and we've just drafted dumber players lately but who knows. Either way there's a reason McCarthy felt like he had to take more control this year. He seems like he was frustrated seeing young guys with loads of talent riding the bench while some underperforming guys kept getting thrown out there game after game.
musccy
9 years ago

We arnt going to have Greene this year 😞 - that guy was a motivator. Never seen a coach with such intensity. I think Matthews with miss him the most.

On to Dom ... like him alot better then sanders ... but gets too conservative.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

You don't need to be the lead singer of a death metal band to effectively coach. Yeah he yelled, yeah everyone knows what he told CM3 before the fumble in the SB, but the LB position has been one of the weakest positions on the team in recent years. Maybe it's personnel, but even so if he was irreplaceable you'd at least expect something resembling chicken salad out on the field the last few years.
steveishere
9 years ago

You don't need to be the lead singer of a death metal band to effectively coach. Yeah he yelled, yeah everyone knows what he told CM3 before the fumble in the SB, but the LB position has been one of the weakest positions on the team in recent years. Maybe it's personnel, but even so if he was irreplaceable you'd at least expect something resembling chicken salad out on the field the last few years.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable but I do think he maximized the talent of guys like Zombo and Walden and got the most out of the talent that was there. That doesn't mean he's the best or someone else can't do the same but I do think he was a good coach.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable but I do think he maximized the talent of guys like Zombo and Walden and got the most out of the talent that was there. That doesn't mean he's the best or someone else can't do the same but I do think he was a good coach.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I think Greene was a WWF buffoon who we are better off without. It's more likely that the Capers scheme was responsible for the brief success of one-trick ponies like Zombo and Walden - setting them up to do what they could do and hopefully masking what they couldn't (although that mask occasionally slipped off).

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.