nerdmann
9 years ago
CAPERS' LAST STAND 

In any case, the Packers are finally responding to their problems pertaining to youth and health on defense in a "better late than never" sort of way.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I am glad they didn't scapegoat Capers with the personnel issues they've had but if they are healthy and don't seriously improve I think it's been long enough.

If there ARE a bunch of injuries again I would be inclined to clean house all together. At that point I want a head coach who can address the issue with the staff he puts together. I think the repeated lead in players on IR isn't a coincidence.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Capers' thing has always been compensation. We have been damn lucky to have him through the lean years personnel-wise and injury-wise.

It will be interesting to see how he coaches in a situation of plenty. Spot use of his schemes and tricks probably will still help, but I too hope it is more like McCarthy said - more emphasis on personnel and less on schemes.

I've always been a Capers supporter, and I expect him to handle things just fine.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Dulak
9 years ago

CAPERS' LAST STAND 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

We arnt going to have Greene this year 😞 - that guy was a motivator. Never seen a coach with such intensity. I think Matthews with miss him the most.

On to Dom ... like him alot better then sanders ... but gets too conservative.
play2win
9 years ago
Our defensive woes have had way more to do with personnel deficiencies and injuries than Dom Capers. It has taken Ted Thompson 3 years to finally replace the gaping hole left by Nick Collins' loss. I think we might be set now with Hyde, Richardson and Clinton-Dix added to Burnett at S.

Drafting players does not mean the position is automatically addressed. Many of these newly drafted players take about a year to acclimate to the pro game and physique.

Add to it we haven't seriously played in FA until this offseason, and our injuries being over the top, any DC would have struggled. Dom hasn't been perfect either, but I believe Dom Capers will have a great year if we stay healthy. It's been a while since he's had this much talent to work with.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Our defensive woes have had way more to do with personnel deficiencies and injuries than Dom Capers. It has taken Ted Thompson 3 years to finally replace the gaping hole left by Nick Collins' loss. I think we might be set now with Hyde, Richardson and Clinton-Dix added to Burnett at S.

Drafting players does not mean the position is automatically addressed. Many of these newly drafted players take about a year to acclimate to the pro game and physique.

Add to it we haven't seriously played in FA until this offseason, and our injuries being over the top, any DC would have struggled. Dom hasn't been perfect either, but I believe Dom Capers will have a great year if we stay healthy. It's been a while since he's had this much talent to work with.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Dom needs to take the lead in making sure his guys are healthy. If this means standing over them while they stretch, going to yoga with them or cooking them dinner, then so be it. He can also keep guys like Matthews and Perry on a pitch count. That approach worked wonders for Starks last year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago
My problem with Dom is the sheer number of guys who seemingly cannot grasp his scheme (especially on the back end). If you have to keep more talented players on the bench because they don't know the defense as well as vets who aren't very good then you need to make an adjustment. He came in here in 2009 and improved our defense then in 2010 it was great, there weren't a ton of miscommunications and such that we've been seeing and that was only the first two years into the scheme.

It gives the feeling that Dom just kept adding onto his scheme even though a lot of the players that had been in it from day one had moved on for various reasons and the new guys were stuck trying to learn the year 4 or 5 scheme in year 1 or 2. Maybe that's not true and we've just drafted dumber players lately but who knows. Either way there's a reason McCarthy felt like he had to take more control this year. He seems like he was frustrated seeing young guys with loads of talent riding the bench while some underperforming guys kept getting thrown out there game after game.
musccy
9 years ago

We arnt going to have Greene this year 😞 - that guy was a motivator. Never seen a coach with such intensity. I think Matthews with miss him the most.

On to Dom ... like him alot better then sanders ... but gets too conservative.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

You don't need to be the lead singer of a death metal band to effectively coach. Yeah he yelled, yeah everyone knows what he told CM3 before the fumble in the SB, but the LB position has been one of the weakest positions on the team in recent years. Maybe it's personnel, but even so if he was irreplaceable you'd at least expect something resembling chicken salad out on the field the last few years.
steveishere
9 years ago

You don't need to be the lead singer of a death metal band to effectively coach. Yeah he yelled, yeah everyone knows what he told CM3 before the fumble in the SB, but the LB position has been one of the weakest positions on the team in recent years. Maybe it's personnel, but even so if he was irreplaceable you'd at least expect something resembling chicken salad out on the field the last few years.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable but I do think he maximized the talent of guys like Zombo and Walden and got the most out of the talent that was there. That doesn't mean he's the best or someone else can't do the same but I do think he was a good coach.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable but I do think he maximized the talent of guys like Zombo and Walden and got the most out of the talent that was there. That doesn't mean he's the best or someone else can't do the same but I do think he was a good coach.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I think Greene was a WWF buffoon who we are better off without. It's more likely that the Capers scheme was responsible for the brief success of one-trick ponies like Zombo and Walden - setting them up to do what they could do and hopefully masking what they couldn't (although that mask occasionally slipped off).

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.