sschind
9 years ago

Dulak, you really won't care at all. The amount of talent they have added to the position is insanely good. ! I liked Jones too, but they look like they have made some significant upgrades.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I'm pretty confident that one of these guys will put up numbers as good or even better than Jones would have had he stayed here. In that respect I suppose it is safe to say we won't miss him. On the other hand I think those numbers will be because our #3 WR will put up those numbers regardless of who it is.

Where we will miss Jones is if Nelson or Cobb miss significant playing time. I feel that Jones could have stepped in and been our #2 or #1 WR without much question. I don't feel that any of the others will be able to do that this season.

Odds are that out of the 5 (Boykin, Harper and the rookies) one of them will eventually reach the level where I would have the confidence in him like I would have had in Jones this year but not this year and it is possible by that point we will be looking to replace our our #1 or #2 guys.

That means that if Cobb and Nelson remain healthy all season we will probably not miss James Jones but if either or God forbid both of them get hurt for any length of time our lack of experience at the position will definitely show.

The first argument will be that losing your #1 or #2 or even both at any position or for any team will hurt and that is true but it's not the losing the players that is the point here it is the replacing them. In my mind Jones would have been a better #1 or #2 WR replacement at this point therefore I still wish we had him.

I hope that we never get a chance to see if I am right, and if we do I hope like hell that I am wrong.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

You do realize you are arguing with yourself.

Nobody is saying a players 40 time isn't important, DURING THE DRAFT PERIOD.

You just stated "it will be interesting to see if Harper looks more like 4.38 or more toward his below average speed."

Maybe you don't even realize you switched from talking about a straight 40 time and started talking about "football speed".

There is a HUGE difference.

Every player I have ever seen interviewed says pretty much the same thing, they go to the combines and do all these drills to either improve their draft status or in some cases just to get noticed(I:E: Janis).

To a player they all say now that they either were drafted or invited to a camp, it doesn't matter how they got there, they are just glad they can finally put on the pads and show their perspective teams that they can play the game at a Profesional level.

Can someone tell me,(because I have never been able to attend an OTA or TC practice), how long do coaches spend on timing players in the 40 yd dash at these practices?

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

Is there a HUGE difference? How do you know? Are you just guessing? If you read the quote from Trent Baalke the implication is sometimes the playing speed and 40 time don't square. I'm going to speculate that MOST of the time there is NOT a HUGE difference between playing speed and 40 time...only when there is a disparity does it cause an issue for the Niners.

Yes during the draft it is imperative. What was I lamenting that drew all this ire? The fact that we DRAFTED two skill position guys in the first 3 rounds who had below average speed when guys with much better speed were there. I hailed Lyerla's addition as well as Janis...those two both have great measurables. I hope they can play... We don't know if Adams and Rodgers can play but we do know they aren't fast. We don't know if Lyerla or Janis can play but we know they are fast. So, we have 4 total players there... Both pairs are in the same boat in that we don't know if they can play at the NFL level and be successful. One pair is slow by measurables....the other is not. I like the idea of Lyerla and Janis better than Adams and Rodgers. Will be interesting to see if a 7th rounder and UDFA can outperform a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

I don't know why we need 5 mediocre tight ends, when we should bring in a hammerhead fullback not named John Kuhn just to block for the three headed monster named Lacy/Starks/Harris.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I didn't say that would be my choice, but I just have a hunch that Ted will keep Taylor again and probably give Bostick another year, along with Quarless. I said "up to" five - that would include 1 or 2 from among Rodgers, Lyerla, and Stoneburner. Ted seems to prefer TEs to WRs - maybe for special teams, I don't know.

If it was me, I'd use the new center as a long snapper to save a roster spot, get by with maybe 8 O Linemen, not go overboard on D-Linemen and LBs, keep just 2 QBs, and then be able to load up on both WRs and TEs.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
mi_keys
9 years ago
Uffda,

Since you seem so fond of quote mining, from the very article you posted earlier while discussing Skov:

Hoping to post a time in the 4.8s -- within the accepted range for run-stopping inside linebackers"

Borland ran a 4.83. Yes that's slower than average, but if you look at 40 times for inside linebackers you'd probably find the median is mid to high 4.7s, so his time is not outside the range of 40 times you typically find for linebackers.

Then there's this:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/257212751.html 
He was removed from at least one team's draft board and others expressed concern for the shoulder injury while not eliminating him from consideration.

Suggesting I'm obfuscating the issues that led to Borland's draft position by pointing out there were factors other than his 40 time that contributed is simply daft.

To pull more from that article you posted:

More significant than the 40 time, not only for Skov but all prospects, is what scouts call "play speed." It's established by analyzing film and determining whether a prospect plays above, below or to the standard for his position.

"The 40 doesn't equate to football speed," Rice said. "A guy could run a great 40, and then you put pads on him and he doesn't have lateral movement or he can't come out of his cuts. He just doesn't have it."

Rice is the marquee example. He never timed well but on game day no one ever caught him.

You also said the evidence didn't support my assertions. I've been telling you that there are other factors that contribute to draft position. Pulling the 40 times of the 34 receivers taken in this last draft, plotting those times against draft position, and finding that the data showed essentially 0 correlation is evidence that the 40 times aren't the be all, end all metric your incessant harping on them would suggest. That doesn't mean the 40 time doesn't play it's part, that it's not considered important; but it probably means there are other factors in play.
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I was just waiting for the Rice stuff to be brought up. Thank you for taking time to read the article.

Yes, I do know there are other factors than just 40 time... the play speed thing I completely get... the posting of the Baalke quote and referencing it in subsequent posts points to that.

If you'd only go back and look at some of the things I said about the 40 before the draft, you'd be completely surprised. I get it... trust me.

No one ever caught Jerry Rice? That's the kind of stuff that always makes me smile. I think a few WR draft prospects said the same but I looked at their YouTube highlights and found examples that contradicted the player's assertion. Jerry Rice surely was caught from behind and quite easily I might add with someone with a vastly superior 40 that doesn't seem to matter.... Just forward this clip to: :40 in

EDIT: On Rice's comments...yes, he's correct, but that's why they run 3 cone drills to measure that lateral quickness he said some fast guys don't have. My guy Moncrief wasn't very good at the 3 cone. And I should say... I wanted Borland despite his known shortcomings and it had nothing to do with him being a Badger. Drives me nuts when fans of college teams go cuckoo for wanting their own on their favorite pro team. Too many blind Buckeyes fans when it comes to AJ Hawk.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
9 years ago
I should add that the genesis of my frustration with the 40 time thing has to do with teams in the NFC North, over the years, having guys with electrifying speed that Green Bay never seems to have...and I mean...NEVER.

Vikings... Randy Moss, Percy Harvin, AD, Corrdarrelle Patterson

Lions... Megatron, Reggie Bush, and now Ebron

Bears...Devin Hester

Why do the Green Bay Packers NEVER have a guy like the above? Ever? Randall Cobb excites all of us...because he looks so fast compared to what we've had over the years. The guy runs 4.46...about the best I recall seeing in forever. Well, Ahman Green had special speed and so does Shields. Why can't we ever have one WR who is just special when it comes to speed? Why? We're always adding guys who are solid but not special to our receiving stable. It sucks watching us flail trying to tackle guys like Harvin, Patterson, Hester, Megatron, etc... Wouldn't it be nice to have a weapon like that in our WR corps...for once? That's what I really wanted ...we got it in the 7th round, at least. Moncrief is a guy I really wanted...Taller and much faster with same leaping ability. Carved up LSU pretty good...played in real football conference. We get the possession type which might be fine for our O, but Moncrief was the homerun hitter. Aaron Rodgers has lamented the way D's play us taking away our long ball...because we have nobody with elite speed to run by it. Now, we have just another guy in the same mold who can't beat it in Adams. To know we struggled with "taking the top off a defense" and then add a guy who runs 4.56 is just infuriating to me. Get me Moncrief who can fly...instead the guy went a whole round later to Indy.
UserPostedImage

steveishere
9 years ago
Year after year we have one of the most productive deep passing attacks in the league. Our speed on offense certainly hasn't been a problem or hinderance. Jennings hit as many big plays as anyone in the league while he was here healthy and now it's Jordy doing it. Who cares what their 40 times were 5+ years ago when the production is there.

Kind of a cool site here

40+ yard TDs since 2011 

40+ yard TDs 2007-2012 

Now I'm not saying that these guys are hall of famers or even the best in the league. I'm saying that complaining about them not having "electric speed" seems dumb when they still produce the big plays at a high rate. It seems their speed is perfectly fine. LOL if a guy ran a 5.00 40 yard dash but he still manages to get open deep and score TDs that works for me just as well as a 4.2 guy doing the same thing.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Year after year we have one of the most productive deep passing attacks in the league. Our speed on offense certainly hasn't been a problem or hinderance. Jennings hit as many big plays as anyone in the league while he was here healthy and now it's Jordy doing it. Who cares what their 40 times were 5+ years ago when the production is there.

Kind of a cool site here

40+ yard TDs since 2011 

40+ yard TDs 2007-2012 

Now I'm not saying that these guys are hall of famers or even the best in the league. I'm saying that complaining about them not having "electric speed" seems dumb when they still produce the big plays at a high rate. It seems their speed is perfectly fine. LOL if a guy ran a 5.00 40 yard dash but he still manages to get open deep and score TDs that works for me just as well as a 4.2 guy doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Not surprised to see Jordy on the top of that list since 2011. McCarthy loves going to him deep off play-action.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Kind of a cool site here

40+ yard TDs since 2011 

40+ yard TDs 2007-2012 

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I'm not saying I expect our entire corps to be blazers, but it's crazy to me that we don't have one. You don't think that would make us even better on offense? You seem quite content with our speed at WR. Is our crew pretty good... absolutely. Would you like to address the idea that we don't have a guy who can take the top off a defense which was one of Rodgers laments that teams were taking away their long game? We had nobody on the roster that could just simply consistently run by people last year or the year before or the year before that. Sam Shields can change a game with his speed and often does. Where is that on O? Other teams in the NFCN have guys who can change games with their speed. We do not. Randall is the closest thing we have... and he is the type I'm referring to but just a bit faster is what I'm longing for.

It's nice that you're content with "the way things are"... don't you hope for better? I do. I see a speed merchant WR as a way to be better but I'll just get another reply about how so and so and so and so are good enough. Man, I hope Janis can play and make this team so we can have what it is I feel would make us that much better and more dangerous.

EDIT: I almost forgot that at least we have DuJuan Harris...if he's anything like he was, he's the kind of guy that our O needs. That speed and shiftiness of his is electric. An element that we sorely lack.
UserPostedImage

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I don't care how fast a guy is, a good DB can take an angle and cover him. I remember seeing Bullet Bob Hayes play many decades ago, and he was usually covered. Moves and play action are what gets it done - the reason Jordy Nelson is so productive on deep passes. I've seen Abbrederis get open that way in college, and I'm confident he can do the same in the NFL. Very likely the same and maybe more so for Davante Adams. Oh yeah, being able to catch the ball counts for something too.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (30m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.