Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Do you know why people don't really give a shit when players like Marshall and Graham and Megatron and a few others drop the ball. Because they make some catches that the vast majority of other guys can't make. They are that good so a few drops don't really matter.

Drops are one of those stats that fans of opposing teams like to use to make it sound like they wouldn't give their left nut and their top reciever to have that player on their team. You can't have him so you dig up some stat that nobody really cares about and use it as a reason why you wouldn't want him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nelson and I am glad he is a Packer. He makes some incredible catches but they are not catches that NO ONE ELSE could make. Lots of great recievers make catches just like that and even some fairly mediocre receivers make some catches like that on occasion. I also think that even after he signs his new deal we will be getting one of the best bargains in the league (rookie contracts excepted of course)

It kind of reminds me of when you would hear an announcer say "Only Brett Favre could make that throw" No, many QBs COULD make that throw...Only Brett Favre WOULD make that throw.

It seems that "per target" has become the stat qualifier de jour.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

When a WR gets 200 targets he is going to get a lot of cumulative stats. If a team with more depth spreads the ball around and their top 2 WRs eachs get 100 targets but put up 20 TDs instead of the one guy putting up 11. They are more productive per catch than the one guy. But their individual totals will be lower.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
sschind
9 years ago

Chicago has a better 1-2 punch than we do. Detroit might when one is Megatron...and Minnesota has our former #1 and Corrdarrelle Patterson who I'm not so sure will be a great WR but if he gets it may place us at bottom of division when it comes to 1-2 punch. Still, we have Packers fans convinced we're just loaded with stud pass catching options.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Yeah but you know as well as I do that players are automatically better when they play for the Packers. Jennings was a top receiver in the league when he wore the Green and Gold but he's just a guy anywhere else and Megatron would automatically be the best WR ever if he signed with the Packers.

I'm not going to bother looking for your post where you said "Cobb for Graham straight up everybody wins" but that is a trade I could get behind. I don't think NO would consider it though (though you did add we may have to throw in another draft pick later on)
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Actually, we were both wrong... I was much closer..

play2win Offline Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:05:58 PM

I had no idea Dex! Cool!

I'm not down on Boykin at all. He could easily hold firm as our #3, or move up. I firmly believe this.

---So I apologize, at the time you converted p2w to thinking Boykin might beat out RC18 or Jordy it was TWO stats...the one I stated and FUMBLES.

Those are 2 of the 5 stats I mentioned in the thread.

uffda udfa
9 years ago

Those are 2 of the 5 stats I mentioned in the thread.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Yes... but those are the ones that sold him. You'll notice his statement follows what was quoted and there are only TWO stats mentioned there.

Still would love an answer, Dex... Who is the better WR and how wide is the gap? If you believe what I think you believe, it ain't that bad to be labeled crazy as I have in this thread. Take your turn.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Yeah but you know as well as I do that players are automatically better when they play for the Packers. Jennings was a top receiver in the league when he wore the Green and Gold but he's just a guy anywhere else and Megatron would automatically be the best WR ever if he signed with the Packers.

I'm not going to bother looking for your post where you said "Cobb for Graham straight up everybody wins" but that is a trade I could get behind. I don't think NO would consider it though (though you did add we may have to throw in another draft pick later on)

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Any player coming into the Packers is not going to get the amount of targets they got elsewhere. Which is why per target matters.

With the Packers throwing fewer passes and spreading the ball around more, they are going to get fewer targets.
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Yes... but those are the ones that sold him. You'll notice his statement follows what was quoted and there are only TWO stats mentioned there.

Still would love an answer, Dex... Who is the better WR and how wide is the gap? If you believe what I think you believe, it ain't that bad to be labeled crazy as I have in this thread. Take your turn.

I don't give a crap about your arbitrary guidelines. The point I made is the point I make. You can split it up and take it out of context if you want. The 5 stats stand, because that is what I was talking about when I said per target production.

I find your debate style lacking in integrity.

Goodbye.
mi_keys
9 years ago

What have any of our rookies or UDFA's proven at the NFL level? You have stated you're looking at this as a totality of weapons type situation when most of the "weapons" you cited might be squirt guns, if that.

A number of posters, myself included, already addressed the receiving weapons as a package, where they stand in the NFL, and how they stack up versus previous years. The weapons I specifically mentioned in the post you cited are rookies who represent potential and are filling in the depth chart behind one of the top 10, maybe top 5, WR duos in the NFL, a solid number 3 WR and an average level starting tight end. I specifically cited them in relation to changes you failed to note in the post I was citing.

Schefter posted a tweet...his opinion...on TWITTER...not something that gets page hits. His followers can see it and it can be retweeted. It wasn't a shock value article. It was his opinion that he felt strongly enough to put out there when he mostly is a newsie for the NFL. He follows the NFL...he breaks stories and is plugged in with NFL GM's and executives. He understands how this stuff works than all of us do.

Twitter and social media are a means for journalists to build their personal brand. You interest people on twitter/facebook, you may well get them looking at your other materials such as articles, podcasts, air time, etc.

This tweet was first discredited due to it's date which is ridiculous so now it's that he's a nobody and he had some agenda but he's nothing anyway. Wow. Just wow on the attempts to debunk. If you don't agree that is one thing...

It was because our situation has changed from both a cap and personnell standpoint. What about that is so difficult to comprehend?

I also didn't say he was a nobody. He's a professional journalist. He's respected for a reason as a journalist. He's one of the few that, when he says transaction "x" is (IS not SHOULD) happening, I think there's a pretty good chance that transaction actually is happening. He's not a professional evaluator of or decision maker on NFL personnell. That's not his job and it's not his background.

How many GMs have their background extensively or largely in journalism? How many of them have their background in playing or scouting or coaching?

I've addressed the salary cap far more than anyone on this forum has by a longshot within this thread. How unreal for you to come here and tell me how I haven't considered the cap ramifications. Honestly, that is one doozy of a comment that I just ...I just don't even know how to respond to that. Amazed.

You reiterated that the cap could go to $150M based on some projections and our current cap space. Great, you didn't address the raises everyone else would need and a number of contracts which are already scheduled to increase. You listed 8-10 players you suggested could be cut to free up cap space. Others pointed out that they were largely starters and backups and asked where you were going to replace them and at what cost. You were ultimately reduced to some vague statement that there's always ways to find cap space. You're right; there is: generally it is cutting people or letting them walk in free agency. Occassionally, it's contract restructuring. Occassionally. To this point, you haven't made a compelling argument regarding the cap.

Go use the search function to catch up on Davante being better than Sterling Sharpe.

If you don't think that the way I've characterized him is fair I'd like to tell me where I've been unfair.

I get the impression you take statements too literally. That's my impression. I can't be arsed to go back and reread threads I've already read/participated in for the sake of arguing this point.

Also, you've now brought up the Davante Adams and Sterling Sharpe bit in God knows how many threads that are unrelated, or at best tangentially related, to Adams. This after you and p2w have already had one of the classic meltdowns in this forum's history with p2w cursing you out and you throwing out hysterical accusations when it turned out the search function was just broken. The two of you threw your toys out the pram. So why are you constantly going back to it?

It seems that some here love to hate. Being the villain is fine I guess but it's as a result of not being on board with homer viewpoints and typing things that draw ire against those.

😆
This is adorable.
Born and bred a cheesehead
steveishere
9 years ago
I guess this is what happens when there's too long of a time without any real football stuff happening.#-o
sschind
9 years ago

When a WR gets 200 targets he is going to get a lot of cumulative stats. If a team with more depth spreads the ball around and their top 2 WRs eachs get 100 targets but put up 20 TDs instead of the one guy putting up 11. They are more productive per catch than the one guy. But their individual totals will be lower.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I understand that but people still look at those stats per 100 targets and like to extrapolate them into "what if he had twice as many targets?" After week 1 last year did anyone really think Peyton Manning would throw 96 TD passes on the year

They may be more productive per catch but that does not mean either on of them is neccecsarily a better WR than the guy with 200 targets and 11 TDs. Also, when you compare two guys to 1 its not uncommon for them to have higher numbers.

on a side note, does this thread make anyone else feel like this

uffda udfa
9 years ago

I guess this is what happens when there's too long of a time without any real football stuff happening.#-o

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I agree. All of a sudden people start saying Boykin is as good as Jeffery.

MI...I would suggest you head out for some googling and look at characteristics of posters and what certain styles indicate with a focus on the type of poster who uses the line by line method. I found the study riveting reading...and to be very accurate to my own personal experience.

Your last quoted statement might be "adorable" to you but it doesn't make it any less true.

For fun...go research the bio of SB winning HC, Brian Billick. You might be surprised to know where his road to SB HC started.

I'm disappointed Dex bailed because he chose not to face his own statement regarding Jeffery vs. Boykin. The invitation was offered for him to clear up any misconcetions and instead of doing so, he quit. The question was pretty simple. Who is better and how wide is the gap? The response? GOOD BYE I guess I have to conclude, also, that he thinks Donald Brown is better than AD and Luck a better running QB than Kaepernick. Man, I wanted to put all 3 silly notions to bed once and for all.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."