Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
So, we get rid of Thompson and replace him with whom exactly?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
uffda udfa
9 years ago

OMFG STFU, now! At the end of Sherman's reign of terror we had cap hell with major contracts due to our LT, LG, and RG and had absolutely no depth anywhere on the roster. And do we need to be reminded of the Joe Johnson/Cletidus Hunt/Mike McKenzie horror stories?

I appreciate you trying to interject some life into this forum but the difference between Uncle Ted and Mike Sherman is obvious and this is going to hit you right between eyes: was Mike Sherman ever offered another GM job or even a major coaching job in the NFL again? Uncle Ted would write his own ticket if we were stupid enough to get rid of him.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The fact remains, Mike Sherman the GM, left Green Bay with a better winning % than Ted Thompson currently has. Joe Johnson got injured. Is that his fault? Were you upset that Sherman dealt a 2nd for Al Harris? Javon Walker was as talented, if not more talented than any WR Ted Thompson drafted. When you come to grips as to why Sherman has a better winning % than Ted Thompson you'll be on the right path as to why Ted Thompson needs to go. It's the QB, man. The quarterback. Sherman wasn't all that outstanding but he rode Brett's coattails. The exact same way Ted Thompson is riding Aaron's. Aaron goes down, and we went right back the quarter century of garbage football we had to endure before Brett and Aaron.

Who would replace him? A man who is obsessed with winning WORLD championships, not divisional titles. There are few things I find funnier than when I see a shirt, hat, etc. proclaiming "X" NFL team won a divisional championship. Are you kidding me? That is for people who relish small goals while neglecting the bigger ones.

Do you guys really enjoy watching one and dones at the expense of a real shot at a championship run? OR...have you bought the myth the org wants you to that says... If we have Aaron Rodgers we always have a chance just like it was...if you have Brett Favre you always have a chance. As a fan, I want to see the ultimate goal. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is no better than going 4-12. I'd rather go 4-12 to get higher picks in each round of the draft than to continue exiting in Round 1. How many years would you like to be the Niners beyotch? Had enough yet? The D has been a huge problem... let's just keep Dom. Status quo...winning the division and losing in round 1 is fine because the typical Packer fan is happy he can brag to his Bear and Viking fan buddies that his team won the division. Pathetic.

Take me back to what happened the year before we won the SB. We went through major changes because not winning it all wasn't good enough. Enter many new coaching faces pumping new fire and direction into this organization. We rode it to a SB Championship. This team was fat dumb and happy after that. If ever there was an offseason for a major shake up it was after Kaepernick ran wild on us ending our season in embarrassing fashion. We comeback the next year and lose the opener to them..again...and they end our season...again. What huge changes are made on the coaching staff... a couple of guys claim they want to spend more time with their families and Mike McCarthy says he's going to be more involved with the D? Scheme is going to be fitted better? Huh? You had to lose year after year after year due to your defense and you're going to adjust things? That is the solution? Definition of insanity almost... just that we're doing these minor tweaks thinking they'll bring major changes. Ted Thompson is the head of this org and he just watches this go on? His solution to things is to leave things the same and add a 34 year old DE and position switch him in the twilight of his career? That is our solution?

Tick, tick, tick another year off Aaron Rodgers career not sold out to win another championship but Packer fans are still content. They can talk about the one from 2010 as if it was yesterday. They'll also be content when Aaron is finished to look back on almost 30 years of HOF QB play and say, well, at least we made it to 3 SB's...that's one per each decade.

Meanwhile, in Seattle...
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

StarrMax1
9 years ago
Still patiently waiting for any verification that Ted Thompson has left the cupboard bare, and that he doesn't deserve to have his contract extended.

I'm ready to change my opinion, just need one article from "an NFL expert" talking head.

1 story that there have been "grumblings" from The Organization.

1 mention from from ESPN, CBS, FOX, NBC, that The Packers are in real trouble because of the way Ted Thompson has put together the team.

1 Tweet? There has to be one out there somewhere.

How about a FB post?

This is really frustrating, I can't be right that Ted Thompson deserves an extension if he wants one.

Somebody please send out a negative tweet about Ted Thompson, I will be able to rest better after I read it.

🙄 🙄 🙄
warhawk
9 years ago

The fact remains, Mike Sherman the GM, left Green Bay with a better winning % than Ted Thompson currently has. Joe Johnson got injured. Is that his fault? Were you upset that Sherman dealt a 2nd for Al Harris? Javon Walker was as talented, if not more talented than any WR Ted Thompson drafted. When you come to grips as to why Sherman has a better winning % than Ted Thompson you'll be on the right path as to why Ted Thompson needs to go. It's the QB, man. The quarterback. Sherman wasn't all that outstanding but he rode Brett's coattails. The exact same way Ted Thompson is riding Aaron's. Aaron goes down, and we went right back the quarter century of garbage football we had to endure before Brett and Aaron.

Who would replace him? A man who is obsessed with winning WORLD championships, not divisional titles. There are few things I find funnier than when I see a shirt, hat, etc. proclaiming "X" NFL team won a divisional championship. Are you kidding me? That is for people who relish small goals while neglecting the bigger ones.

Do you guys really enjoy watching one and dones at the expense of a real shot at a championship run? OR...have you bought the myth the org wants you to that says... If we have Aaron Rodgers we always have a chance just like it was...if you have Brett Favre you always have a chance. As a fan, I want to see the ultimate goal. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is no better than going 4-12. I'd rather go 4-12 to get higher picks in each round of the draft than to continue exiting in Round 1. How many years would you like to be the Niners beyotch? Had enough yet? The D has been a huge problem... let's just keep Dom. Status quo...winning the division and losing in round 1 is fine because the typical Packer fan is happy he can brag to his Bear and Viking fan buddies that his team won the division. Pathetic.

Take me back to what happened the year before we won the SB. We went through major changes because not winning it all wasn't good enough. Enter many new coaching faces pumping new fire and direction into this organization. We rode it to a SB Championship. This team was fat dumb and happy after that. If ever there was an offseason for a major shake up it was after Kaepernick ran wild on us ending our season in embarrassing fashion. We comeback the next year and lose the opener to them..again...and they end our season...again. What huge changes are made on the coaching staff... a couple of guys claim they want to spend more time with their families and Mike McCarthy says he's going to be more involved with the D? Scheme is going to be fitted better? Huh? You had to lose year after year after year due to your defense and you're going to adjust things? That is the solution? Definition of insanity almost... just that we're doing these minor tweaks thinking they'll bring major changes. Ted Thompson is the head of this org and he just watches this go on? His solution to things is to leave things the same and add a 34 year old DE and position switch him in the twilight of his career? That is our solution?

Tick, tick, tick another year off Aaron Rodgers career not sold out to win another championship but Packer fans are still content. They can talk about the one from 2010 as if it was yesterday. They'll also be content when Aaron is finished to look back on almost 30 years of HOF QB play and say, well, at least we made it to 3 SB's...that's one per each decade.

Meanwhile, in Seattle...

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

What a joke. Sherman? Give me a break man. You know better, too. Mike Sherman took over a team Wolfe had loaded up. Those teams, without question, should have won more than 1 SB, but the personnel side of that had nothing to do with Sherman. He rode Wolfe's roster until they were all old and done and brought in virtually nothing. You want to talk depleted player quality. After a few short years under Sherman the team went from loaded to crap. Sherman's draft record, ability to find undrafted players, however you want to judge, stunk. Half the players on his last team didn't even belong in the NFL (a comment Wolfe made by the way) and that proved true because after Thompson purged the roster most never started a game for anybody.
Sherman's last years team had 0 chance of winning a division, making the playoffs, or, getting a whiff of a shot at a SB.
All things today within reach.

I guess you could always argue the point about all the teams lined up to grab Sherman after GB canned his ass. Oh, that's right there weren't any. EVER. It has probably never dawned on you that the only reason Sherman has a better winning percentage is because they got rid of his ass when they did? If they had kept him around another couple of years the team would have been a total disaster and thank God Murphy pulled the plug when he did. It was a mercy killing for Sherman. The evil side of me says they should have kept him and let the world see how pathetic he was.

Mike Sherman. Jesus. Like comparing Heidi Klum to freaking Rosie O'Donnell.

I will finish with a comment about your Javon Walker statement. WHAT? He essentially played 6 seasons ( a 7th lost to injury) had 4000 yards receiving and 31 TDs. In six seasons Jordy Nelson has had 4600 yards receiving and 36 TD's. Jennings had 6500 yards and 53 TD's over 7 years. But somehow here, you have it figured, Walker is better than any receiver Thompson has brought in. I mean the guy had ONE good year for the Packers. C'mon man. You can do better than that, or then again, maybe not. Sherman's list of quality players is pretty damn thin.

"The train is leaving the station."
mi_keys
9 years ago
Mike Sherman only has a better regular season record in Green Bay if you lay no blame on him for 2005, a year in which he was still the head coach and most of the team was still pieces built by either him or a few layaways from Wolfe.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
These are the good years guys. Savor these moments. And yes I want him to be extended with no hesitation.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
uffda udfa
9 years ago
The... F.A.C.T FACT remains that Mike Sherman has a better record than Ted Thompson. You can say anything else you wish but it will not change this FACT.

BTW, Ted Thompson was the GM the year we went 4-12, not Mike Sherman. Anyone who is honest with themselves knows Ted Thompson set it up for the Packers to suck so he could justify blowing out Sherman and that's exactly what he did right after the season.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the charge of waiting for evidence Ted Thompson has left the cupboad bare. Ummmm...did you not watch last season when Aaron went down? 2-5-1 ringing any bells for you? A competitive team who with Aaron Rodgers always has a chance, didn't have much of a chance without him. Packers became Jacksonville north minus Aaron. Spin it all you like. 2-5-1 minus Rodgers. Who exactly is responsible for providing a backup QB? Oh, you mean the guy who carried Graham freaking Harrell for a couple of years and then added BJ Coleman and then went to the Seneca are you really freaking kidding me Wallace well. Oh, Scott Tolzien...at least he throws a nice deep ball. That QB cupboard was about as bare as the TE cupboard is right now. MD Jennings started for this team not by chance but by choice after knowing how weak we were back there. S a continual issue. Marshall Newhouse responsible for protecting the franchise? Darryn Colledge? Don Barclay? Jeff I was done years ago Saturday as the C of our line...and then a JAG like EDS looks like an upgrade only because Saturday is so terrible. Some of the things we've witnessed from Ted Thompson with how barren this roster has been in key spots is horribly confusing. Oh, but we won a SB so Ted Thompson is deified. Aaron Rodgers, again, his saving grace. Our running game was terrible for YEARS under TT. OL weak...DL weak...LB's overall weak...S...weak. Backup QB terrible for years...TE's now barren.

What I know is I saw the same kind of records from a Mike Sherman GM'ed team as I did from a Ted Thompson GM team in overall record and that's what matters, right? It isn't championships...it's that warm and fuzzy that we consistently are just good but not quite good enough. As long as Packer fan can brag we're the best in the division he has bragging rights over his NFCN buddies that is all Packer fan needs. Don't you dare take that away from Packer fan for the right to actually go balls out for a championship. Packer fan would rather go 10-6 for 10 years and lose out in Round 1 each of those years than to suffer 3-4 sub .500 years and win two championships. Don't you dare take away 3-4 years of bragging rights over Bears and Vikings fans to get SB's for only 2 of 10 years.

Seattle and SF are sold out for championships. Green Bay is trying to ride Aaron Rodgers to another. Let's see how that plays out in terms of who has more championships before Aaron is done. I will bet you we get ZERO more under Ted Thompson while SF and SEA get their fair share. It will all be good, though, you will entertained with your divisional championship gear from the Packer Pro Shop and recall 2010 as if it was yesterday for the next 10 years.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago
If we can sign some hypothetical GM that's going to win us 2 or 3 more superbowls in the next few years then yeah lets get that guy, otherwise I say extend the guy that's got us in the playoffs with a chance to win the dang thing every season.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

If we can sign some hypothetical GM that's going to win us 2 or 3 more superbowls in the next few years then yeah lets get that guy, otherwise I say extend the guy that's got us in the playoffs with a chance to win the dang thing every season.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

You want Mike Sherman back? He got us to the playoffs quite a bit, too. Getting to the playoffs is not the goal..your own post seems resigned to the idea that getting to the playoffs is good enough. It ain't. If that's all our current guy can do blow him out on the chance we can get one who can. Regular season wins aren't the goal. Making the playoffs isn't the goal. Winning 14 is, well should be, but isn't, the goal. Fat dumb and happy since 2010 and this org knows our fans are dumb enough to continue to support this franchise like crazies if all they do is go 1 and done forever. Packer fan will never revolt... just keep those Bear and Viking fan bragging rights in tact. As long as we look better in comparison to our rivals that's a win for Packer fan.
UserPostedImage

steveishere
9 years ago

You want Mike Sherman back? He got us to the playoffs quite a bit, too. Getting to the playoffs is not the goal..your own post seems resigned to the idea that getting to the playoffs is good enough. It ain't. If that's all our current guy can do blow him out on the chance we can get one who can. Regular season wins aren't the goal. Making the playoffs isn't the goal. Winning 14 is, well should be, but isn't, the goal. Fat dumb and happy since 2010 and this org knows our fans are dumb enough to continue to support this franchise like crazies if all they do is go 1 and done forever. Packer fan will never revolt... just keep those Bear and Viking fan bragging rights in tact. As long as we look better in comparison to our rivals that's a win for Packer fan.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

no