uffda udfa
9 years ago
Two people left because I think it's a good idea to bring Jimmy Graham aboard? Wow.

How do you know they left? You got here after me...are they writing you messages telling you they don't want to be here because I started a thread about Jimmy Graham? Yes, this thread went multiple angles as a good thread should, IMO.

I can't speak to yours or anyone else's inferiority complex. Have I said I'm better than you? Where? Anywhere? Show me. You can't. Again, I'm not responsible for how what I post affects you. I'm not cussing out anyone nor am I trying to hurt anyone. I do like to bust on people and p2w is chief among them because he feeds such great material to work with.

From what I gather, you would like a forum where people could say ridiculous things and not be challenged at all? I say things that you and others perceive as stupid and get bombarded with strong negative reaction and I'm fine with it. So, it is okay to send F bombs my way and various other pejorative terms but it is not okay for me to have some fun with statements like Davante Adams is better than Sterling Sharpe? Jarrett Boykin is as good as Alshon Jeffery and he might move up to #1 or #2 this season displacing Jory or Randall? I'm not to respond to that?...just accept it and move on to something else? I couldn't. In my view, that's lunacy and I will craft a response to point it out. I did it with Dex and he said my debate style lacked integrity? Huh? If mine lacked it so did his because I mirrored his debate style back at him so he could see how I viewed what he was saying. Obviously, p2w and Dex didn't handle it well. That isn't my fault and I haven't claimed any superiority. Again, if you/they feel inferior that's on them...not me.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
9 years ago

Of course he's not... because he didn't stay a PR guy. My contention was had he stayed a PR guy you would've paid no attention to him but inside that PR guy was a guy who would one day coach a SB winner.

One of my former bosses was very good at scouting NFL talent. He was being courted by Gary Horton to get into the game but he chose not to. If he was on this board, you would have no respect for his opinion if they ran counter to yours simply because they ran counter. You would not respect the fact that the guy was gifted with knowing certain things that others didn't know, including yourself, but you wouldn't even know that and would focus on the fact he didn't think like you blissfully unaware of how much more he actually knew than you.

I know it is not the Packer way to do biz like this. That isn't the topic, though. It is would YOU do this if you had the ability to do it? Given all the info that I'm privy to I would go for it and give Aaron all the weapons I could as his window is closing and perhaps we'll be plunged into a another 2.5 decade drought like before Brett and Aaron arrived. Playing conservative while you have a star QB is dumb.. you let him go to waste because he is good enough to elevate you way up there. I can see the argument that says and has said in this thread the same about the D. I think the D has been given all it needs. So many high picks and now Peppers even as old as he is. The point is this team should be made as strong as it can at ALL times all the much more while it has a guy at the helm who can win multiple SB's if given the team around him. Now, we're behind Seattle and Aaron's career may be over before we can overcome them. We're just now getting to the point where we're catching SF and now there's a Seattle. Would you like to just assume we're going to be able to take them this year, or will it take a few years of Niner-esque season ending losses to convince you we didn't do enough? I know you'd never do it, but think back on how we didn't go for it by getting guys like Jimmy Graham while we could've while Seattle wins multiples and Aaron's career ends with no more rings. You can feel good that we played safe and held on to some first round picks that may be the next Justin Harrell far more likely than they'll be the next Aaron Rodgers. History bears that one out with signficant force.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Jon Gruden worked as a Hooters line cook before becoming a Super Bowl winning coach. If he stayed a Hooters line cook in some alternate universe, his opinion on football should totally carry the same weight as it does in the real one where he actually became a coach.

I asked for someone who's background was largely journalism that got hired into GM or another high role. You provide a guy who spent two years as a nominal PR guy / effective caoching intern (if that US Today article is to be believed). If he spent his entire career in PR he wouldn't know half what he knows now about football having had a 27 year coaching career or however long it was.

I don't take people's opinions as gospel or as correct prima facie. In other words, I'd like to see why I should believe something, not what I should believe.

The rest of your post is effectively ad hominem and then an appeal to emotion. Not worth addressing.
Born and bred a cheesehead
mi_keys
9 years ago

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology408_1.php 

Earlier in this thread I showed it was right around a 10% chance the Packers would hit on a player as good as Jimmy Graham is at his position.

I see you forgot about Matthews again.

Also, the article's table of data is based on him listing out every draft pick and assigning a bust or hit (check the excel spreadsheet). It's interesting, but it's completely subjective. On quick glance, I already saw a couple players in the bust column who have had long careers and been named to the pro bowl. Might very well be that his standard for being a hit is quite high, in which case, it wouldn't be fair to say there's no value in the busts.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I see you forgot about Matthews again.

Also, the article's table of data is based on him listing out every draft pick and assigning a bust or hit (check the excel spreadsheet). It's interesting, but it's completely subjective. On quick glance, I already saw a couple players in the bust column who have had long careers and been named to the pro bowl. Might very well be that his standard for being a hit is quite high, in which case, it wouldn't be fair to say there's no value in the busts.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Nope...I didn't. Count'em up. www.drafthistory.com

You forgot, again, that Matthews was not our original pick. We could trade up two years in a row if we gave up our 1st's for Graham. Our own pick has netted a 10% hit rate. 10 PERCENT! Bust rate is near 50%...you can't really defend not doing it based on draft picks.

BTW, I like the ad hominem crack...and especially the appeal to emotion part...football is a game of emotion, brother.

EDIT: On Billick, the point is... he started in the NFL biz as a PR guy. Gruden's Hooter's experience was not the start of his NFL career. Further, Billick had the aptitude as a PR guy to work his way up from that to NFL SB winning HC. Schefter is a bright guy who follows this game as close as anyone. I agree he's not a GM or Scout...but his opinion has some value. I don't always agree, like you. There's nobody's opinion I just believe or am inclined to believe. I read it then try to square it with what I think.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
9 years ago

BTW, I like the ad hominem crack...and especially the appeal to emotion part...football is a game of emotion, brother.

If he was on this board, you would have no respect for his opinion if they ran counter to yours simply because they ran counter. You would not respect the fact that the guy was gifted with knowing certain things that others didn't know, including yourself, but you wouldn't even know that and would focus on the fact he didn't think like you blissfully unaware of how much more he actually knew than you.

You realize that basically saying I'm close minded is ad hominem, as in to the man. Not that I care but it's not a counter to the points made but a criticism of the person. You've done this multiple times. It's a red herring, as is the appeal to emotion. Neither are supports for the case you try to make.

Now please proceed with the incredulity that you didn't verbatim say I'm close minded, as is your MO.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I'll continue riding with Schefter, Werder, Nate Davis and Mike Florio on this one. We're the "stupid" group for sure. Packers are "well stocked" and ready to roll at TE. Oh, and even if they aren't there is so much overwhelming talent on O, plus, don't forget we have Aaron who makes everything all better to cover all of our deficiencies. So, instead of accentuating Aaron's abilities we're going to just drain them and hope we don't drain them enough to compete with the Seattle and SF's of the world. We think that much of him that he's got enough.

No Jimmy Graham news... So, it is assumed Graham did not appeal his decision of being a TE at 7 million for the franchise tag, yesterday. Tuesday the 15th is almost here.
UserPostedImage

StarrMax1
9 years ago
'll continue riding with Schefter, Werder, Nate Davis and Mike Florio on this one. We're the "stupid" group for sure."

Now you are starting to make sense!!!!!

😆 😆 😆
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Last playoff game against San Fran looked competitive to me. It was a thrilling yet heartbreaking game. It came down to who had the ball last, and we were playing with our most important guys on defense out and a rookie DE playing OLB. Hyde played very well last season but you can bet your ass Shields makes that pick at the end of the game and we probably end up winning and who knows what happens from there. We are getting close; just got to stay healthy.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
9 years ago

You have turned this thread, like most others you post in, into a joke!!!!

I know of 2 memebers who have left because of your clamoring/

Congratulations, soon you will be the only one left here.

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

It is nauseating, for sure.