Tezzy
9 years ago
Yes I want Ted Thompson to be extended.

Still chuckling a little at the Sherman win% discussion. Maybe he was just such a great coach, and overcame his GM abilities. Interesting that the three consecutive division titles were on the back of Wolf's last draft in 2001.
Sherman had three years of drafts. Netted us Javon Walker, Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett, Ahmad Carroll, and Scott Wells.

On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
StarrMax1
9 years ago

I hope you feel better. I can't imagine how you feel about you if this is how you feel about me.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I feel great about myself.

I was referred to this site by a long standing member telling me how different it was from other sites.

He told me there were people on here who really know their Packer football, and even though they always didn't agree, it was mostly a fun and informative place to come.

That member will never come back to this site because of you and you alone.

From one of your earlier posts, I see you are proud of the fact that you are responsible for another long standing members leaving.

What a tool you are.

You think you are creating debate and discussion.

Better step back and take a good look.

Reality isn't what you think it is.
sschind
9 years ago

It is ironic that it's stated that I'm trying to get everyone to agree with me. It's the opposite. I want you to disagree so we can have a real debate. If you don't agree with me that's good theater, at least to me.

I knew most would say NO to Jimmy Graham and two 1st's...I knew the odds of Ted Thompson ever doing it were next to nil. However, I believe the idea is not crazy at all based on a study of the Packers history drafting stars in Round 1 over the last 40 years. The cap can be managed just fine in my detailed look at it and where we stand with room to make if we need to.

There is more irony to be found in the fact Dex can post a stat about yards per target and fumbles and he's got someone on the forum believing Boykin is as good as Jeffery and ready to start over Randall or Jordy. I get hammered for showing multiple angles and no mind is changed and I end up being ridiculed. Excuse me but that has some of the makings of a certain type of behavior that I would never want to get caught up in.

The majority of fans are total homers. The same applies here. I don't want to be a homer...I wish to be objective. I don't think my goal and many others goal is the same thing. That doesn't make me better, but it certainly makes me different. I know that I am and all the insults in the world the best ya got ring hollow. I do have a very low tolerance for those who say things that I think are ridiculous. IE: Sherrod has a 75% chance to be a player in my opinion. To me...that is an opinion with no basis in any form of reality anywhere at any time. He may be a perennial pro bowler for the next 10 seasons but that doesn't mean his odds, right now, are 75% he'll be a player for us so I showed swhat the odds were. MI disputed them. That's good...at least he looked. Most here would just insult me and tell me how stupid I am when I've actually spent time researching and studying an issue they have given 2 seconds of thought to but they know they're right and I'm crazy. Yes, I find this entertaining. How could I not?

Now I get it. You really think it would be a mistake for the Packers to trade for Graham. You really want Thompson to be extended. You just post these threads to get good theatre. Makes so much sense now otherwise I can't see anyone defending such point so vehemently in the face or such overwhelming opposition. I've got to hand it to you, youve kept your stories straight and played it to the hilt.

What's next uffda? Forrest Gregg was a better coach than Vince Lombardi? Don Hutson was not a very good WR? I can't wait for those.

Side note, does anyone remember the days of the CBS boards with the lone wolf. Uffda reminds me a lot of him. Without the serious character flaws wolf had of course.

9 years ago
I haven't posted in so long that I couldn't even figure out how to log on to my original account, so now I'm 2.0. Even though I haven't posted I have always been here, watching, listening, because I consider it by far the best Packers forum on the interwebs. It saddens me to see site stalwarts threatening to, or even actually leaving because of one poster. Our packers love is far greater than one man's quest for debate through ridiculous statements.

TT: Of course he should and will be extended. Top 3 GM in the league, and if you want him gone I want to know who we can get thats better.

Jimmy Graham: No tight end is or ever will be worth 2 1st rounders.

beast
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason2.0 

I still think Jimmy Graham is a WR... not a TE. From what I've seen he mainly goes out for passes and isn't usually asked to block anybody... he has two seasons over 1,200 yards (just like Nelson) and one season of over 1,300 yards (just like Nelson).

If Graham didn't have such long arms, there would be WRs that block better than him, but because of his long arms it lets him have more recovery time when he makes a mistake and regroup and have a second or sometimes even third attempt at blocking... but power/technique wise I think some physical WRs are better blockers than him especially power blocking.

I think of Jimmy Graham as a worse Calvin Johnson (and I think of it as a good thing as Johnson very well might be the best WR in the game today, and if he had a better team around him might of put up a lot bigger numbers).
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
There were a couple assumptions made about me earlier in this thread that I wanted to address, but this guy's posts are long and exhausting to me.

I am a relatively new football fanatic. I haven't been studying the game that long. Only really got into doing that when I joined this forum. I know next to nothing about any GM the Packers had before Ted Thompson beyond Ron Wolf trading a first rounder for Brett Favre. Before Ted, I just knew I was watching a HOF quarterback play amazing football, but also with the tendency to break our hearts with the game on the line.

When I measure Ted Thompson, I don't compare him to any GM that came before in our organization. I think about now, in this present time, how I feel about the way the team is being run from the top in comparison to the other 31 NFL franchises, and I believe it is being run very well in a tough time to be a GM. That's it. That's all.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Now I get it. You really think it would be a mistake for the Packers to trade for Graham. You really want Thompson to be extended. You just post these threads to get good theatre. Makes so much sense now otherwise I can't see anyone defending such point so vehemently in the face or such overwhelming opposition. I've got to hand it to you, youve kept your stories straight and played it to the hilt.

What's next uffda? Forrest Gregg was a better coach than Vince Lombardi? Don Hutson was not a very good WR? I can't wait for those.

Side note, does anyone remember the days of the CBS boards with the lone wolf. Uffda reminds me a lot of him. Without the serious character flaws wolf had of course.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

That's close. In both examples I strongly believe the Packers will do the opposite of what I would do. The Packers (TT) won't give up 2 1st's for Graham, and Mark Murphy will extend Ted Thompson (if Ted Thompson will let him).

You guys are all honed in tightly on how our organization acts. You know both of those things are crazy based on what our organization will ultimately do. However, stepping outside the "Packer way" mindset, I believe in the things I've said. It is tough to reconcile someone could think that when you're as into the "Packer way" as you are. Plus, I really do think most of you are perfectly content with the idea of "having a chance" vs. "having the best chance". That is where we differ. Ted Thompson is a GM who has our org plodding along riding a HOF QB hoping for a magical run. I believe Aaron Rodgers deserves one superstar before he's done. Jimmy Graham is a good place to start considering we have nothing at TE heading into this season and we could actually get him. Our draft history CLEARLY shows we are running about a 10% chance of getting a Graham in draft.

Sorry, but I do believe these things you can't get your mind around... it is not that they are crazy, it is you who is "brainwashed" as Greg Jennings would say to the "Packer way". You can think like the Packers because you've been fed that way since Ted Thompson has been here and you saw a championship which has completely turned you from considering anything outside of the Packer way. I get the push back against me.

To say that I'm happy or proud I ran someone off is ludicrous. Where did I make such statements? I addressed it elsewhere. I said I didn't believe it. If the reason people left was stated to be because I was truly insane the person would not leave. A truly insane person is not to be taken seriously....this person took me seriously, obviously, and left so the allegation that I'm crazy and pushing people away from here is inaccurate. I will assume we're talking about p2w. If that's correct, he left because statements he made were crazy and I held up a mirror and showed him. He didn't like what he saw and ran.

"Would YOU...." is probably a dumb question to ask on fan board pertaining to that fan's team mode of operation. Most of you are in the Packers kool aid club. All things Packers are good...the way it is now is good and you like good so there's validation to not do anything outside of the Packer way, plus let's not forget the championship. More validation the Packer way is not to ever be questioned or messed with. There can be no other way to do things. Seattle didn't follow the Packer Way to win their SB. Few teams do. Don't let that in though it will be hard to square. There might actually be another better way to do things but since we all feel so insignificant and no way we could ever be like a Ted Thompson anything and everything he does must be right only to the point that it's proven it isn't then you will criticize. Not before it's proven though. MD Jennings was the answer at S until he wasn't. Jerron McMillian was the answer because Ted Thompson sniffed him out of a small non- big time football school ala Collins...he was the answer. Until he wasn't. Ted Thompson will always get the benefit of the doubt. Let's see how you feel about the defense and TE when this season is over. Safety as well. How many years is it not going to compute for you? Oh, a past SB and Aaron Rodgers...that will keep you content. It'll be years later when you realize that Ted Thompson didn't do his job well enough and wasted Rodgers prime years.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago

So, we get rid of Thompson and replace him with whom exactly?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Some guy who will draft great players with every pick, sign every good free agent to half the price it would cost another GM, find the best coaches in the NFL from out of nowhere and will engineer a dynasty. Between that guy and Ted Thompson I take that guy 10 times out of 10. Most fans are content with just 1 Superbowl every couple years I want one every year and this guy can make that happen.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

I haven't posted in so long that I couldn't even figure out how to log on to my original account, so now I'm 2.0. Even though I haven't posted I have always been here, watching, listening, because I consider it by far the best Packers forum on the interwebs. It saddens me to see site stalwarts threatening to, or even actually leaving because of one poster. Our packers love is far greater than one man's quest for debate through ridiculous statements.

TT: Of course he should and will be extended. Top 3 GM in the league, and if you want him gone I want to know who we can get thats better.

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason2.0 

We need more posts like this from people like you. That's what will bring this site to greater greatness.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

There were a couple assumptions made about me earlier in this thread that I wanted to address, but this guy's posts are long and exhausting to me.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I agree 100%.

To say that I'm happy or proud I ran someone off is ludicrous. Where did I make such statements? I addressed it elsewhere.

Oh, a past SB and Aaron Rodgers...that will keep you content. It'll be years later when you realize that Ted Thompson didn't do his job well enough and wasted Rodgers prime years.

First part, you shouldn't want others to leave, you should want others to join in the discussion. If you throw down 1,000 words after 1,000 words, people will not want to participate because they are overwhelmed, just like DarkaneRules is implying. Novels are not necessary. Lighten up, get your point out and discuss. We are each Packers fans after all.

Last part, the Packers are doing very well when you consider the mass 32 teams and ignore the Madden'like expectations. This is real world. Families are involved in Free Agent decisions. Money. And a plethora of other factors. To solely say Ted Thompson is not doing his job is ignoring the whole picture and being somewhat narrow minded --- in my opinion.

Thompson deserves to be extended. How many GM's have done better than him? Who is out there that gives hope of doing better? It's not the right time for a regime change, plain and simple.
UserPostedImage