uffda udfa
9 years ago

Brady was a 6th rd pick. Warner is a great example of what can happen. In order for odds to be 1:300, there does have to be a one.

Duane Bennett
Marc Tyler
Nicolas Cooper
Darius Reynolds
Dale Moss
Marcus Rivers
Cameron Ford
Eric Lair
Tyler Butzler
Tommy Draheim
Don Barclay
Jaymes Brooks
Drew Vanderlin
Jaymar Latchison
Dezman Moses
Sean Richardson
The above 16 players are the UDFA signed in 2012. Recognize many names? Those are Lyerla's peers. Not a projected starter for the Packers in the group. Vast majority did not survive camp in 2012. May be only 1 left after camp this year. Lyerla has a huge hill to climb.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Mike McCarthy can't seem to shut up about Barclay. Moses played okay for us...I liked him...limited but a try hard guy. Sean Richardson may play a decent role this season or he may not make the team.

Moses is with the Chiefs.

Draheim is getting a shot with the Cardinals.

The rest I don't know about.

Should you draft so poorly that you have not one but TWO starting CB's that were UDFA's? That is not an effective way to do business. I would say it's more than fortunate we have two good CB's who start for us that came from the UDFA way. If we drafted better we wouldn't need two UDFA's starting at CB for us. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great we could find undrafted talent like that but it also speaks to not being able to find it in the actual draft.

I think most people assume on Mandarich that his attributes weren't exactly natural. Former Packer OL Jamie Dukes and NFLN guy (or is he former?) loves to brag that he knew Mandarich "had no feet" when he was coming out meaning he was going to bust. If you ask Mandarich and I did, personally, if he ever took roids he told me... I never admitted that. He would then point you to his career with the Colts as being pretty good after his failure in Green Bay.
Ted Thompson has excelled late in drafts and has had some great success in Round 2. Sadly, he's done very poorly in Round 1...the trade up for Matthews was excellent as was drafting a potential #1 overall that fell into your lap. If you fail to find stars in Round 1 or they don't develop you need FA to make up for it. We got Woodson almost by default...nobody wanted him at CB. Too injured getting up there. Now Peppers who is a fossil. Can we ever add a FA who is on the upswing in his career?

As for Colt, I don't have him penciled in as anything yet. I do think he has more all around talent and upside than anyone we have at TE and the most exciting specimen outside of Janis. I hope he picks it up quick. We can't afford for him and he can't either to be like Chris Harper. He needs to get it yesterday.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

StoicFire
9 years ago

If a UDFA is our most physically gifted player, then Ted Thompson and scouting staff should be fired...

I find it hard to believe that if he had that much talent, all 32 teams would completely ignore him for 7 rounds. Let's see where he is come August 29. I may be wrong. But then so would 320 scouts and front office personnel.

I still don't get it. Why should he be fired if he GOT the player? Getting him as an UDFA would be a case of extreme value! Why would you fire a GM and scouting staff that acquired a remarkably physically gifted player for an incredible value?!?!

For the record, I'm not saying he is our most gifted rookie. I just cant see why people would be upset about signing an extremely talented player as an UDFA... you got him, you've won!
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
beast
9 years ago

If a UDFA is our most physically gifted player, then Ted Thompson and scouting staff should be fired...

I find it hard to believe that if he had that much talent, all 32 teams would completely ignore him for 7 rounds. Let's see where he is come August 29. I may be wrong. But then so would 320 scouts and front office personnel.

I disagree, talented players can fall and be undrafted. It's partly an art... and arts can miss things...

And I think you could argue that Shields was the most physically gifted player added that year... of course most of the others added were much heavier than him as a number of them were linemen, Quarless and Starks... and there was Burnett. But physically gifted doesn't always mean best, as if he stayed healthy, I think most of would agree Bulaga was the best (though he hasn't stayed healthy).
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Either that or Lyerla's problems really scared off a lot of people. Regardless of whether he is the best TE in the draft this year or not.

Everyone may have had him ranked that high if it were not for his problems.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

I still don't get it. Why should he be fired if he GOT the player? Getting him as an UDFA would be a case of extreme value! Why would you fire a GM and scouting staff that acquired a remarkably physically gifted player for an incredible value?!?!

For the record, I'm not saying he is our most gifted rookie. I just cant see why people would be upset about signing an extremely talented player as an UDFA... you got him, you've won!

Originally Posted by: StoicFire 

My comment was not about Lyerla but the draft. If the Packers drafted 9 players, and not one of them was more talented than Lyerla, there is a problem. If after 5 months of film study, combine measurements, individual workouts, and they can't identify and draft talent, there is a problem. Talent is easy to identify. Just use a stopwatch, scale and tape. Football aptitude, desire, heart are much harder.

Let's approach it from a different standpoint. If Lyerla is that physically talented, think how much of a zero he must be in those other areas in order to not be drafted by 32 teams.
Pack93z
9 years ago

In today's NFL.. it is hard to take a risk on a guy that could find himself sitting regardless of his talent if he can't keep his nose clean or out of trouble.

Much like Hubbard, there were flags attached to the player. That said, I think someone might have taken a flyer on him in the late rounds. But no one did.. and it worked in our favor. Take a flyer on him with no strings attached and nothing lost.

Personally.. I think the Packers made a correct call with there 7th in Janis. I think he has a combination of tools that may stick against the odds at WR. Goodson was more of a reach in the 6th than our 7th, in my opinion. Raw player that will need to develop.. but then we see Shields and say it is possible..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
uffda udfa
9 years ago

My comment was not about Lyerla but the draft. If the Packers drafted 9 players, and not one of them was more talented than Lyerla, there is a problem. If after 5 months of film study, combine measurements, individual workouts, and they can't identify and draft talent, there is a problem. Talent is easy to identify. Just use a stopwatch, scale and tape. Football aptitude, desire, heart are much harder.

Let's approach it from a different standpoint. If Lyerla is that physically talented, think how much of a zero he must be in those other areas in order to not be drafted by 32 teams.

Not only was he not drafted he wasn't added as a UDFA by all 32 teams, in the rush to sign players after the draft. He came via tryout ala Jarrett Boykin.

That is the deal...too many thinking the next Aaron Hernandez and nobody touched him. I think of it as we're so bad at TE we were willing to assume the risk that comes with him that 31 other teams wouldn't.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Yerko
9 years ago

Brady was a 6th rd pick. Warner is a great example of what can happen. In order for odds to be 1:300, there does have to be a one.

Duane Bennett
Marc Tyler
Nicolas Cooper
Darius Reynolds
Dale Moss
Marcus Rivers
Cameron Ford
Eric Lair
Tyler Butzler
Tommy Draheim
Don Barclay
Jaymes Brooks
Drew Vanderlin
Jaymar Latchison
Dezman Moses
Sean Richardson
The above 16 players are the UDFA signed in 2012. Recognize many names? Those are Lyerla's peers. Not a projected starter for the Packers in the group. Vast majority did not survive camp in 2012. May be only 1 left after camp this year. Lyerla has a huge hill to climb.

Not completely disagreeing with you but I think you are giving our current stock of tight ends a bit too much credit to make Lyerla's climb to a roster spot so steep. Some of the guys on that list have/had starting caliber players (imo) sitting in front of them. The tight end spot is up for grabs (again, imo).
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

Would the same words not be used for Vontaze Burfict? He is a guy nobody took a flyer on as well and has gone to the Pro Bowl and led the team in tackles. Some guys have great talent and just need some maturing and mentoring.
beast
9 years ago

Would the same words not be used for Vontaze Burfict? He is a guy nobody took a flyer on as well and has gone to the Pro Bowl and led the team in tackles. Some guys have great talent and just need some maturing and mentoring.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Great point on Vontaze Burfict... which proves talented guys can fall to UDFA because off the field problems... (and I agreed with that from the start). But I think Burfict dominated and matched his hype/potential at times in college where Lyerla did not. I think Lyerla is very talented has very well could have a lot career in the NFL if he keeps his head on straight but is he a for sure lock to make the roster week 1 this season? I don't think it's a lock... I think he has the clear potential but sounded like he wasn't flashing much during the offseason while they said Rodgers and Bostick were and even talked about Taylor making a play once in a while. And Quarless is injured and looks like they MIGHT keep more than 5 WRs this season which would take a spot from another position.

I think it's possible Lyerla makes his way to the practice squid for a season (if not claimed) and then makes the roster in a year (or even by mid-year like Stoneburner did...).
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.