DoddPower
9 years ago

The above 16 players are the UDFA signed in 2012. Recognize many names? Those are Lyerla's peers. Not a projected starter for the Packers in the group. Vast majority did not survive camp in 2012. May be only 1 left after camp this year. Lyerla has a huge hill to climb.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

I don't think any reasonable person is saying that Lyerla doesn't have a "huge hill" to climb. That's pretty obvious. The general consensus I see is that he posses the talent to be a starting-caliber NFL tight end, but it's unknown if he can actually make that happen. His natural ability is greater than the typical UDFA. But that doesn't mean he'll ever make anything of said talent. That's mostly up to him.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Would the same words not be used for Vontaze Burfict? He is a guy nobody took a flyer on as well and has gone to the Pro Bowl and led the team in tackles. Some guys have great talent and just need some maturing and mentoring.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

All right. I give up. Order the statue for Canton. COLT LYERLA WILL BE THE FIRST EVER NFL PLAYER TO BE ELECTED TO THE HALL OF FAME IN EVERY POSITION ON THE FIELD. There is every right to assume that he will be the greatest player in the history of the game. He will set every scoring record, passing record, receiving record and rushing record. Except Brett Favre's Int record, since Colt will never throw an Int. That is clearly below him.

In fact, Ted Thompson will probably cut ARod so that there is room for Colt on the roster. He's such a perfect NFL specimen that he really doesn't need talent throwing him the ball. He will just use his awesome talent to catch Josh Sitton's passes.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

All right. I give up. Order the statue for Canton. COLT LYERLA WILL BE THE FIRST EVER NFL PLAYER TO BE ELECTED TO THE HALL OF FAME IN EVERY POSITION ON THE FIELD. There is every right to assume that he will be the greatest player in the history of the game. He will set every scoring record, passing record, receiving record and rushing record. Except Brett Favre's Int record, since Colt will never throw an Int. That is clearly below him.

In fact, Ted Thompson will probably cut ARod so that there is room for Colt on the roster. He's such a perfect NFL specimen that he really doesn't need talent throwing him the ball. He will just use his awesome talent to catch Josh Sitton's passes.

There are people who were thought highly of that were not drafted. Votaze Burfict was one and Colt was another player that people see the talent, but are afraid of immaturity and whether he is worth the trouble. The hyperbole is unnecessary if you don't like the guy say so, but his talent level is far above the other undrafted free agents in my opinion. People discussed Burfict after the draft, people are now discussing Colt as somebody with the talent, but with baggage.

uffda udfa
9 years ago

Show me another UDFA prospect who came via tryout that an NFL scout was comparing to Rob Gronkowski when he was a FRESHMAN. That's a pretty rare bird right there.

p2w is not in this thread so nobody said he's headed to HOF. I'm not even certain he'll be carried on the 53. I think if he came via tryout and unless he explodes in preseason we should be able to easily stash him on the PS. Obviously, if he's outstanding in pre-season he'll make this team easily. Our TE position is a black hole so there's all kinds of opportunity for him.

The other fear I have for him is he may light it up in preseason but there may be enough red flags we see off the field to not be able to trust him lasting through the season without doing something stupid. We know Richard Rodgers is a lock. I think most assume the experienced Quarless is a lock, minus injury. Bostick has a lot invested in him as far as time. Taylor, Stoneburner, Perillo or Lyerla? I'll take Colt. I think he could do multiple things well as QC unwittingly pointed out.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

My comment was not about Lyerla but the draft. If the Packers drafted 9 players, and not one of them was more talented than Lyerla, there is a problem. If after 5 months of film study, combine measurements, individual workouts, and they can't identify and draft talent, there is a problem. Talent is easy to identify. Just use a stopwatch, scale and tape. Football aptitude, desire, heart are much harder.

Let's approach it from a different standpoint. If Lyerla is that physically talented, think how much of a zero he must be in those other areas in order to not be drafted by 32 teams.

I think it has been proven that the Packers can find talent and ability.

If you have what you think is the best player in the draft and you know you can get him as a 7th rounder, regardless of how good you think he is, the most responsible thing to do would be to take him in the 7th round.

Christian Ponder was a 12th overall pick and Rodges was a 24th. Saying draft stats tells you how good a player is, it really ridiculous.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
9 years ago

Show me another UDFA prospect who came via tryout that an NFL scout was comparing to Rob Gronkowski when he was a FRESHMAN. That's a pretty rare bird right there.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I strongly disagree... as when they're freshmen a LOT of stupid comparison are made (am NO! I'm not saying this one is stupid)... but doing research on player that are in the draft, I've found things about such and such player and comparing to some NFL al-star saying they have the potential to be this (even when it's CLEAR from an unbiased standpoint that don't eve have a quarter of the physical ability)... and let me be clear Lyerla to Gronkowski might be more of the more sane one of those I've heard.

But I know a number of freshmen QB's potential were compared to Favre (and some of them had rather weak arms, so I didn't see I in the slightest)... ... WRs to Randy Moss and etc

I think the only reason we're still hearing about this one, is because physically it's still possible... where other ones disappear when people wake up... physically he has a TON of potential... but will he finally live up to the potential or not? We just have to wait and see...

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I strongly disagree... as when they're freshmen a LOT of stupid comparison are made (am NO! I'm not saying this one is stupid)... but doing research on player that are in the draft, I've found things about such and such player and comparing to some NFL al-star saying they have the potential to be this (even when it's CLEAR from an unbiased standpoint that don't eve have a quarter of the physical ability)... and let me be clear Lyerla to Gronkowski might be more of the more sane one of those I've heard.

But I know a number of freshmen QB's potential were compared to Favre (and some of them had rather weak arms, so I didn't see I in the slightest)... ... WRs to Randy Moss and etc

I think the only reason we're still hearing about this one, is because physically it's still possible... where other ones disappear when people wake up... physically he has a TON of potential... but will he finally live up to the potential or not? We just have to wait and see...

Originally Posted by: beast 

We're talking about NFL scouts...not some unknown draftnik making the Gronkowski comparison. Gronkowski is a special talent. Rare. I think to compare Lyerla to him from an NFL scouts perspective says an awful lot about the talent he possesses. The scout could've just said he thought highly of him... to compare him to a TD machine that's very difficult to tackle was quite high praise. I'm not sure I understood it, though, because one of Gronk's biggest strengths is his height. Colt doesn't possess that. From that I can only surmise that Colt's athleticism and moreso his toughness is why the comparison was made. As was noted he was one heckuva running back at one time. The comparison does something for me and I'm pretty skeptical and cynical.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago
Then you've got guys like Tebow who were taken in the first round. lol

BUT NOT BY TED!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
mi_keys
9 years ago

Christian Ponder was a 12th overall pick and Rodges was a 24th. Saying draft stats tells you how good a player is, it really ridiculous.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

In all fairness, most draft sites did have Ponder going to the Vikings... in the second round.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

In all fairness, most draft sites did have Ponder going to the Vikings... in the second round.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

He was a stretch in the 2nd round and only because he was a need pick. Not because that is where he was valued. He is a glorified backup QB who was forced into a starting role by being picked 2 -3 rounds early.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.