Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Seattle's city council on Monday unanimously approved an increase in the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour, making it the nation's highest by far.

CNN Money  wrote:

One of the motivating factors for me going to college was having my boss tell me that I peaked out at $11/hr and I was already making more than my supervisors and couldn't be bumped up even though I more than deserved it. I couldn't live how I wanted to on that salary and I refused to use any kind of assistance so I put myself through college.

And now there this is push to raise minimum wage to $15/hr. I do not understand how people can think this is a good thing. I want to know what I am missing because if employees flipping burgers are going to be paid TWICE as much, doesn't that mean their services and/or products will also increase? How does this help anyone? Is there a government mandate stating products/services cannot increase?

I've been to fast food places and there is absolutely no way they deserve $15/hr, none at all. And with making that much money, where's the incentive to go to college or even finish high school for that matter? I supported my family earning around $22k a year and with the new minimum wage proposal one could earn over $31k per year.

I just am not making the connection here. I mean, I thought places like Walmart, Copps, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc ... I thought those were mainly for kids or people with advanced ages to earn an extra buck. I didn't think it was a means to support your entire family.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
9 years ago
Their minds are all bogged down from the rain. This is a horrible idea.
sschind
9 years ago

One of the motivating factors for me going to college was having my boss tell me that I peaked out at $11/hr and I was already making more than my supervisors and couldn't be bumped up even though I more than deserved it. I couldn't live how I wanted to on that salary and I refused to use any kind of assistance so I put myself through college.

And now there this is push to raise minimum wage to $15/hr. I do not understand how people can think this is a good thing. I want to know what I am missing because if employees flipping burgers are going to be paid TWICE as much, doesn't that mean their services and/or products will also increase? How does this help anyone? Is there a government mandate stating products/services cannot increase?

I've been to fast food places and there is absolutely no way they deserve $15/hr, none at all. And with making that much money, where's the incentive to go to college or even finish high school for that matter? I supported my family earning around $22k a year and with the new minimum wage proposal one could earn over $31k per year.

I just am not making the connection here. I mean, I thought places like Walmart, Copps, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc ... I thought those were mainly for kids or people with advanced ages to earn an extra buck. I didn't think it was a means to support your entire family.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

On the surface I agree with you, it would seem that prices of goods and services would have to go up and then yeah, who would benefit from that. I can see some potential benefits however and not just to the people now making twice as much.

What I think will happen in these places is that the kids or people with advanced ages will be looking for work while people trying to support families may finally be able to get jobs that will allow them to do just that. In the long run that may be what is needed, getting people in the jobs that need them the most.

If we assume for a minute the the number of jobs will not change (perhaps not an accurate assumption at all since places might be more inclined to go with 1 full time worker rather than two or three part timers) employers are theoretically going to have more laborers to choose from. People who would not consider flipping burgers for 8 or 9 bucks an hour will now for 15. That means that with more laborers to choose from one might expect productivity to go up as competition increases (as long as owners can still fire lazy ass employees) Also, some people who would do a half assed job for 8 bucks an hour may feel like doing an honest days work now that they are getting a wage that is more to their liking. Getting back to the kids though, if I am an employer that hires a lot of kids for a year or two before they move on because that is all that applies to my business because all I pay is 8 bucks an hour I may use this opportunity to get some long term help. like that single mother with two kids who may really want to get a job to support her family and she may be willing to work for me for 20 years rather than 2 because now she may actually be making a livable wage. You may not see those high school kids working at those fast food joints as much anymore and maybe the people working there will deserve it.

Of course if it screws up my $1.00 breakfast burrito and large coke you can bet someone will hear about it.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Idiots.

Those who get the minimum will be better off.

*If* the jobs are kept.

Expect longer lines wherever clerks/etc. are minimum-wage workers....because there aren't going to be as many of them as there used to be.

If I was a small business person in Seattle, I'd be looking to move. Because while Starbucks may be able pay its baristas an extra $6/hour out of petty cash, the notion that a small business can just increase its worker's pay by 60% is simply ludicrous.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

On the surface I agree with you, it would seem that prices of goods and services would have to go up and then yeah, who would benefit from that. I can see some potential benefits however and not just to the people now making twice as much.

What I think will happen in these places is that the kids or people with advanced ages will be looking for work while people trying to support families may finally be able to get jobs that will allow them to do just that. In the long run that may be what is needed, getting people in the jobs that need them the most.

If we assume for a minute the the number of jobs will not change (perhaps not an accurate assumption at all since places might be more inclined to go with 1 full time worker rather than two or three part timers) employers are theoretically going to have more laborers to choose from. People who would not consider flipping burgers for 8 or 9 bucks an hour will now for 15. That means that with more laborers to choose from one might expect productivity to go up as competition increases (as long as owners can still fire lazy ass employees) Also, some people who would do a half assed job for 8 bucks an hour may feel like doing an honest days work now that they are getting a wage that is more to their liking. Getting back to the kids though, if I am an employer that hires a lot of kids for a year or two before they move on because that is all that applies to my business because all I pay is 8 bucks an hour I may use this opportunity to get some long term help. like that single mother with two kids who may really want to get a job to support her family and she may be willing to work for me for 20 years rather than 2 because now she may actually be making a livable wage. You may not see those high school kids working at those fast food joints as much anymore and maybe the people working there will deserve it.

Of course if it screws up my $1.00 breakfast burrito and large coke you can bet someone will hear about it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

The problem with assuming people will work harder if they get paid more is it doesn't work. The same for the concept that people who were not in the work force now because the pay was too low will now suddenly come flocking out.

People who are motivated to work hard do not do so because of their pay check. They have other goals in mind like Zero. He put himself through college. I have seen many people get a raise, they are happy for about an hour and then drop right back into their old work habits. Generalizing the point, someone who chooses another option such as some form of public aid often uses low wages as an excuse not to work. I have seen way too many people get 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. I have seen couples have 3-4 jobs between them plus whatever jobs their kids come up with to believe $10 an hour for a job keeps people at home. They are there because they choose to be there.

Dakota works his regular union job, wrangles his bees and does taxes in season. He is a hard working guy. Others not so much. Dakota will always work hard. Others not so much.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago

Idiots.

Those who get the minimum will be better off.

*If* the jobs are kept.

Expect longer lines wherever clerks/etc. are minimum-wage workers....because there aren't going to be as many of them as there used to be.

If I was a small business person in Seattle, I'd be looking to move. Because while Starbucks may be able pay its baristas an extra $6/hour out of petty cash, the notion that a small business can just increase its worker's pay by 60% is simply ludicrous.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

The problem is that wages have not kept up with inflation over the last 30 years. Hmmmm, let me just take a shot in the dark at why that is! Oh yeah, trickle down economics was suppose to keep all the classes happy wasn't it. Too bad all the greedy fucking business owners took all the tax breaks but didn't trickle anything down. If I was student, I'd pummel your ass on your views daily, well, until you kicked me out of class.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

The problem with assuming people will work harder if they get paid more is it doesn't work. The same for the concept that people who were not in the work force now because the pay was too low will now suddenly come flocking out.

People who are motivated to work hard do not do so because of their pay check. They have other goals in mind like Zero. He put himself through college. I have seen many people get a raise, they are happy for about an hour and then drop right back into their old work habits. Generalizing the point, someone who chooses another option such as some form of public aid often uses low wages as an excuse not to work. I have seen way too many people get 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. I have seen couples have 3-4 jobs between them plus whatever jobs their kids come up with to believe $10 an hour for a job keeps people at home. They are there because they choose to be there.

Dakota works his regular union job, wrangles his bees and does taxes in season. He is a hard working guy. Others not so much. Dakota will always work hard. Others not so much.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree that a higher wage may not automatically make everyone want to work or work harder. Studies have shown that pay is not at the top of the list for motivated workers. However, it may make people who do have a good work ethic choose to work in one of these new minimum wage jobs which could increase production.

As far as people being motivated like Zero the 15 bucks an hour won't make a difference to them because it still won't be enough and they will still want to improve their lot in life. As for the people working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet or the couple's with 3-4 jobs maybe now they can cut back on one of them and spend more time with their kids which may have a great positive impact on society.

I spent the last 15 years of my life running a one man pet shop because I could not afford to hire anyone so almost doubling the minimum wage would not have hurt me but it certainly would have absolutely ruled out the chance of me hiring someone if I would have wanted to.

I see a lot of small businesses being forced to close, move, or cut back on staffing. For this reason I do not agree with the 15 bucks an hour. I was just trying to look at potential benefits, I was not trying to say the potential benefits outweighed the potential drawbacks. One thing I do see is a shift from younger (high school age) or older (wall mart greeter types) more transient workers to more stable long term employees.

Another thing is this, the 15 bucks an hour will not only affect new employees. Lets say you have a couple of employees who have worked for you for 5 or 6 years and they have been steady employees. They have worked themselves up through regular pay raises to 12 bucks an hour. Now the new law kicks in and they have to be paid 15 bucks an hour. Ok, you bite the bullet because they are good employees and you can swing it. Now you hire a couple of new kids and you have to pay him 15 bucks an hour as well. The good employees now have to train the new guys who may not be such good employees but they will be getting the same amount of money. How long do you think the current guys will stand for that? What sort of pay raise schedule do you work out for them after that. Lets say you policy has been to give 35 cents per hour every 6 months. Do you stick with that? Guys that have twice the time on the job will either be making the same amount of money or you will have to have different pay raise schedules for time of service. All of that could factor negatively into employee moral as well.

What I really want to see is all those slackers who have pushed so hard for this and will lose their jobs because they simply are not worth 15 bucks and they are replaced or their businesses have to close or move, start complaining when they can't find work. I wonder how the government will step in and take care of them then?

I don't know all the details but something tells me there will be several loopholes involved and not every person working in every job will automatically make 15 bucks an hour and the businesses that learn to take advantage of those loopholes will benefit the most.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I agree that a higher wage may not automatically make everyone want to work or work harder. Studies have shown that pay is not at the top of the list for motivated workers. However, it may make people who do have a good work ethic choose to work in one of these new minimum wage jobs which could increase production.

As far as people being motivated like Zero the 15 bucks an hour won't make a difference to them because it still won't be enough and they will still want to improve their lot in life. As for the people working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet or the couple's with 3-4 jobs maybe now they can cut back on one of them and spend more time with their kids which may have a great positive impact on society.

I spent the last 15 years of my life running a one man pet shop because I could not afford to hire anyone so almost doubling the minimum wage would not have hurt me but it certainly would have absolutely ruled out the chance of me hiring someone if I would have wanted to.

I see a lot of small businesses being forced to close, move, or cut back on staffing. For this reason I do not agree with the 15 bucks an hour. I was just trying to look at potential benefits, I was not trying to say the potential benefits outweighed the potential drawbacks. One thing I do see is a shift from younger (high school age) or older (wall mart greeter types) more transient workers to more stable long term employees.

Another thing is this, the 15 bucks an hour will not only affect new employees. Lets say you have a couple of employees who have worked for you for 5 or 6 years and they have been steady employees. They have worked themselves up through regular pay raises to 12 bucks an hour. Now the new law kicks in and they have to be paid 15 bucks an hour. Ok, you bite the bullet because they are good employees and you can swing it. Now you hire a couple of new kids and you have to pay him 15 bucks an hour as well. The good employees now have to train the new guys who may not be such good employees but they will be getting the same amount of money. How long do you think the current guys will stand for that? What sort of pay raise schedule do you work out for them after that. Lets say you policy has been to give 35 cents per hour every 6 months. Do you stick with that? Guys that have twice the time on the job will either be making the same amount of money or you will have to have different pay raise schedules for time of service. All of that could factor negatively into employee moral as well.

What I really want to see is all those slackers who have pushed so hard for this and will lose their jobs because they simply are not worth 15 bucks and they are replaced or their businesses have to close or move, start complaining when they can't find work. I wonder how the government will step in and take care of them then?

I don't know all the details but something tells me there will be several loopholes involved and not every person working in every job will automatically make 15 bucks an hour and the businesses that learn to take advantage of those loopholes will benefit the most.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I agree with you. Didn't mean to imply you thought the benefit of the increase was greater than the cost of the increase.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
I pay my top guys $17 an hour and my daughter and partner's grandson $12 an hour for now until they prove they can handle the work; and we are still making good coin. Minimum wage is bullshit and has always been. It is a tool in order to keep people down and is an embarrassment on this industrialized country.

Any argument you clowns want to throw at me on this topic I will refute, with one exception, compression. Doubling minimum wage is not fair to the moderate wage earners already making $15 - $20 an hour.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I pay my top guys $17 an hour and my daughter and partner's grandson $12 an hour for now until they prove they can handle the work; and we are still making good coin. Minimum wage is bullshit and has always been. It is a tool in order to keep people down and is an embarrassment on this industrialized country.

Any argument you clowns want to throw at me on this topic I will refute, with one exception, compression. Doubling minimum wage is not fair to the moderate wage earners already making $15 - $20 an hour.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

sorry you are not special. Every farm I worked on, every farmer I have ever talked to payed much more than min wage even to high school kids. As you pointed out there is real hard work being done. Flipping burgers or getting someone a cup of coffee not so much.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (30m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.