Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#21 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 11:06:40 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
So, that is what you're saying is sabotage? How's that different from a team picking up a player and getting tips from them? The NFL is full of saboteurs under that pretense.

If he went out of his way to make the contact to try and give other teams pointers on the Packers, sure that's a dick move, but not sabotage. Teams acquire players all the time for the purpose of acquiring intel on their previous team. If you're not smart enough to tweak things, then that's on you.

Kind of switching directions here, I wonder how Reggie White plays into this. I believe the Packers regretted not retiring his number earlier than they did.

I would rather numbers be taken out of circulation for X amount of years than them being disallowed forever. I grew up being a big Dale Earnhardt fan and when they announce his number would be used again, a big part of me was glad. It sparked a lot of memories and what not about Dale. Otherwise if the number had been abolished, then it's going to go into the abyss of out of sight, out of mind.

How many of these "other players" that you are referring to are going to have their number retired by the Packers? Zero.
How many of these other players are going to have their number retired by some other NFL franchise? Zero no doubt.
Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 11:15:23 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
How many of these "other players" that you are referring to are going to have their number retired by the Packers? Zero.
How many of these other players are going to have their number retired by some other NFL franchise? Zero no doubt.

Jerry Rice.
wpr  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 12:24:50 PM(UTC)
Jerry Rice.

Well he is a bum of course.
You know for a fact that he ratted out his former team? You have documentation?
porky88  
#24 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 3:01:14 PM(UTC)
Over the last year, I’ve re-watched 40 or so games (probably more) from 92-96. I’m actually currently in 1997. Simply put, people don't appreciate just how special of a quarterback Brett Favre was. Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman were bums without him. Sterling Sharpe had the best years of his career with Favre, who was incredibly raw at the time. Keith Jackson caught a career-high 10 touchdowns in '96, and he played with Dan Marino. No other Packer should wear the number four again. Period.

I think the vast majority of people have moved on, but like the people that booed Aaron Rodgers during the '08 training camp, the loud minority tends to receive a majority of attention. I think that's what is concerning the Packers. I don't blame them or Favre for waiting. Reggie White retired after 2000 and they retired his number in ‘05. That’s five years. Favre’s going into year three of retirement. There is plenty of time.

I’ll echo what WPR mentioned. He should return a few times before getting his number retired. Alumni Weekend might be a good option.

Another thing to consider is that 2016 marks the 20-year anniversary of the 1996 Green Bay Packers. I wonder if that's not an appropriate time to hold such a ceremony, though I suppose you don’t want to takeaway from the other returning players. You know they’ll do something special to honor that team. Favre should be apart of it.
Dexter_Sinister  
#25 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 7:03:58 PM(UTC)
So, that is what you're saying is sabotage? How's that different from a team picking up a player and getting tips from them? The NFL is full of saboteurs under that pretense.

If he went out of his way to make the contact to try and give other teams pointers on the Packers, sure that's a dick move, but not sabotage. Teams acquire players all the time for the purpose of acquiring intel on their previous team. If you're not smart enough to tweak things, then that's on you.

Kind of switching directions here, I wonder how Reggie White plays into this. I believe the Packers regretted not retiring his number earlier than they did.

I would rather numbers be taken out of circulation for X amount of years than them being disallowed forever. I grew up being a big Dale Earnhardt fan and when they announce his number would be used again, a big part of me was glad. It sparked a lot of memories and what not about Dale. Otherwise if the number had been abolished, then it's going to go into the abyss of out of sight, out of mind.

People expect you to tell your new team about the team you used to be on. But going to the opponents of your old team and helping them out of spite, just to hurt their chances to win, is just plain dirty.

Favre wasn't even in the same conference. The only reason he had to help the Lions, Vikings and Bears beat the Packers is to hurt the Packers.

#4 can join #5 on the numbers no longer available for use list.
DoddPower  
#26 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:23:16 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister said: Go to Quoted Post
People expect you to tell your new team about the team you used to be on. But going to the opponents of your old team and helping them out of spite, just to hurt their chances to win, is just plain dirty.

Favre wasn't even in the same conference. The only reason he had to help the Lions, Vikings and Bears beat the Packers is to hurt the Packers.

#4 can join #5 on the numbers no longer available for use list.

I don't even care about the sharing of the playbook, if that indeed occurred. I view that just the same as doing some shitty things while being all butt-hurt after a bad breakup. Things get said, things happen, and regrets linger. It doesn't mean anything more than being pissed off and caught up in the moment. People move forward, and they (should) forgive, as long as the feeling is mutual on both sides.

It's old boring history to me now. I'd rather focus on his career as a very good Green Bay Packers quarterback. But I simply can't put the energy into holding grudges, especially for anything that occurred during this situation. It wasn't like anything TRULY bad happened, imo. It was just all stupid crap.
Dexter_Sinister  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:00:05 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't even care about the sharing of the playbook, if that indeed occurred. I view that just the same as doing some shitty things while being all butt-hurt after a bad breakup. Things get said, things happen, and regrets linger. It doesn't mean anything more than being pissed off and caught up in the moment. People move forward, and they (should) forgive, as long as the feeling is mutual on both sides.

It's old boring history to me now. I'd rather focus on his career as a very good Green Bay Packers quarterback. But I simply can't put the energy into holding grudges, especially for anything that occurred during this situation. It wasn't like anything TRULY bad happened, imo. It was just all stupid crap.

The thing is that people are talking about doing a great honor to Favre by retiring his number. An honor I think he doesn't deserve.

Mostly because I don't think he was good enough.

But someone who did something as dishonorable as trying to put his team over the salary cap and then sabotaging the team because he couldn't get his way, should also be accountable for his actions.

It isn't an issue to me if we are not talking about paying such an honor to him. Because he didn't earn it. There are better players and better men that are not included in that honor. It would show a great deal of disrespect to those players to heap this honor on Faver after what he did.

DoddPower  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:53:11 PM(UTC)
The thing is that people are talking about doing a great honor to Favre by retiring his number. An honor I think he doesn't deserve.

But someone who did something as dishonorable as trying to put his team over the salary cap and then sabotaging the team because he couldn't get his way, should also be accountable for his actions.

It isn't an issue to me if we are not talking about paying such an honor to him. Because he didn't earn it. There are better players and better men that are not included in that honor. It would show a great deal of disrespect to those players to heap this honor on Faver after what he did.

I mean, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Packers fans and those in the organization making decisions simply disagree with you, at least on the not being a good enough player thing. Ultimately, the NFL is entertainment, and Favre was as entertaining as anyone to play to the game. In that sense, he was at the top of his profession. A true entertainer. It's not all about statistics or positive achievements. It's the entire entertainment package, for better or for worse. We as fans may not like it, but it is the way it is and the way it is going to be. Certainly nothing wrong with debating the issue though. It's always going to be a somewhat divisive topic. That will never change, but I do think it will continue to fade as the years past, as it probably should.

I suppose I view any "honor" as recognizing his achievements as an entertainer first-and-foremost. He also happened to be a pretty good quarterback imo. One that many felt a connection to, for whatever reason. Made some incredible plays, and started a ton of games. Those things mean quite a bit.
packerfanoutwest  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:40:13 AM(UTC)
He needs to come back a few times before they retire the jersey. Otherwise he looks a little mercenary. Be a friend first before the marriage so to speak.

He already was a friend to every Packer fan until he showed his true colors. I'm one of many that will boo him til the day I die. Frickin Diva!!
nerdmann  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:52:16 AM(UTC)

White trash people identify with Favre. He's their hero/ego ideal.
DoddPower  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:26:33 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
White trash people identify with Favre. He's their hero/ego ideal.

lol, it's not only white trash people, but point taken. But that's as silly as saying only "thugs" identify with a guy like Kapernick, which I don't think is fair. Obviously many people enjoy watching him play, except for maybe Packers fans.
sschind  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:34:27 AM(UTC)
lol, it's not only white trash people, but point taken. But that's as silly as saying only "thugs" identify with a guy like Kapernick, which I don't think is fair. Obviously many people enjoy watching him play, except for maybe Packers fans.

Now don't go getting all logical on nerdman this early. You know it confuses him and messes him up for the entire day.

Oh, and Kaepernick in his case it is all thugs.
wpr  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:42:14 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
Now don't go getting all logical on nerdman this early. You know it confuses him and messes him up for the entire day.

Oh, and Kaepernick in his case it is all thugs.

Wow you know nerdmann so well. It didn't take you very long did it?
sschind  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:32:50 PM(UTC)
Wow you know nerdmann so well. It didn't take you very long did it?

It took me a while actually, I think it was the third maybe fourth post of his that I read. I'm not as quick as some.

Still, he may be a nerdman but he's our nerdman and we all love him.
Dexter_Sinister  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:00:57 PM(UTC)
I mean, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Packers fans and those in the organization making decisions simply disagree with you, at least on the not being a good enough player thing. Ultimately, the NFL is entertainment, and Favre was as entertaining as anyone to play to the game. In that sense, he was at the top of his profession. A true entertainer. It's not all about statistics or positive achievements. It's the entire entertainment package, for better or for worse. We as fans may not like it, but it is the way it is and the way it is going to be. Certainly nothing wrong with debating the issue though. It's always going to be a somewhat divisive topic. That will never change, but I do think it will continue to fade as the years past, as it probably should.

I suppose I view any "honor" as recognizing his achievements as an entertainer first-and-foremost. He also happened to be a pretty good quarterback imo. One that many felt a connection to, for whatever reason. Made some incredible plays, and started a ton of games. Those things mean quite a bit.

This honor has been bestowed on Packer players 5 times in over 90 years. Only the truly great players have received it. With 13 Championships, they have honored 5 players by retiring their numbers.

Putting Favre up there puts a velvet painting of Elvis next to the Mona Lisa.
DoddPower  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:15:21 PM(UTC)
This honor has been bestowed on Packer players 5 times in over 90 years. Only the truly great players have received it. With 13 Championships, they have honored 5 players by retiring their numbers.

Putting Favre up there puts a velvet painting of Elvis next to the Mona Lisa.

It's all a matter of opinion, I suppose.

Either way, I could care less about any ring of honor, retiring numbers, etc. But at some point in the future, I'd like to see him back as a part of the organization in some capacity. It seems inevitable, and it'd ultimately be good for everyone involved.
Rss Feed