Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 7:08:59 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

I like the Eagles insane pace, I'd like to see the Packers do something like that too. Aaron Rodgers will chew up defenses like mad crazy!

Rob Demovsky wrote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. — The faster the better.

That's what Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy has planned for his offense this season.

And why not, especially with Aaron Rodgers on board with the idea?

McCarthy and his quarterback have one primary goal in mind for 2014: Run 75 plays per game.

Do that, and everything else -- big numbers for Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Jarrett Boykin and possibly one of the new rookie receivers; another 1,000-plus yard season for Eddie Lacy; solid pass protection -- will fall into place.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 8:05:58 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,035
Applause Received: 1,472

before they can run 75 plays on the offensive side, they need a defense that can consistently get off the field. You may have a Porsche at home but it doesn’t do you any good if it is sitting in the garage.

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 8:41:02 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,630
Applause Received: 654

What is the benefit of running 75 plays, other than pure stat whoring? Burn the fucking clock down. Keep your defense fresh and well rested. They'll look much better in the 4th quarter if they've got something left in the tank.

This Chip Kelly bullshit is a fad, like the run and shoot that Mike loves so much. Or zone blocking. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Since69 on 7/14/2014(UTC), Dulak on 7/15/2014(UTC), Wade on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:05:06 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 607
Applause Received: 275

One of the problems for the defense in the past, was the offense scoring so quickly that the defense was back on the field too quickly thus wearing them down faster.
IMO it's more beneficial to the defense if the offense uses up the clock.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
wpr on 7/14/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 7/14/2014(UTC), porky88 on 7/14/2014(UTC), Wade on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:10:59 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 149

The average game has 134 regular plays. If you have 75 on offense, that means your D only has 59 plays. That sounds good to me.
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:14:45 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 357
Applause Received: 440

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
What is the benefit of running 75 plays, other than pure stat whoring? Burn the fucking clock down. Keep your defense fresh and well rested. They'll look much better in the 4th quarter if they've got something left in the tank.

This Chip Kelly bullshit is a fad, like the run and shoot that Mike loves so much. Or zone blocking. lol

Wait, are you saying zone blocking is a recent fad or just McCarthy's use of it?

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
wpr on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:45:24 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

This is only a good idea IF your defense is any good.

The benefit to running 75 plays is the speed at which you're running them will stop the opposing defense from making substitutions. You'll force them to use all their time outs or put them in a situation where what D they started with on 1st down is the one they'll have to play on 2nd and 3rd. I didn't read the article yet but I have to believe ths is why you would do such a thing.

I'm very surprised to read this is how we're approaching offense. Should make drafting Packers for fantasy football even easier.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline yooperfan  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:54:27 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 607
Applause Received: 275

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
The average game has 134 regular plays. If you have 75 on offense, that means your D only has 59 plays. That sounds good to me.

It would be interesting to know the average number of offensive plays per game the Packers ran in the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
Perhaps one of our stat miners could come up with those numbers.

Maybe when I wake up from my afternoon nap someone will have obliged me.javascript:insertsmiley('Think ','/forum/Images/Emoticons/eusa_think.gif')

Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 10:22:20 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

If you're running Chip Kelly's offense, you're going to leave alot more time on the clock, so you'll end up with alot more plays than an "average" game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 12:58:29 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 149

2013- Packers ran 66.8 plays/ game
2012- 64.7

In the last 2 years, no team has averaged 75 plays/ game. The Chip Kelly offense averaged only 65.4 last year.

Rather than overanalyze McCarthy's statement, I think he meant "Our goal is to have the ball on offense more than we did last year. My reasoning is that gives us more chances to score and leaves less chance for the opponent."

Now, feel free to analyze the attire he was wearing when giving the statement. Since it's the off season and there is no real news.

This news flash just in. ARod just completed an interview in Maine while on vacation. He said, and I quote,"Our goal is to win the Super Bowl." Wait. Where did that come from? What do you think he meant? Is it significant that he was not wearing a Packer t shirt when he said it? He was drinking a Lite beer. Does he think he's fat? News Flash- "ARod is trying to lose weight before the season. If he can't, they have no hope of Super Bowl title." (I should be a reporter...)

Off season stinks.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 7/14/2014(UTC), earthquake on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 1:05:26 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,048
Applause Received: 514

2013- Packers ran 66.8 plays/ game
2012- 64.7

In the last 2 years, no team has averaged 75 plays/ game. The Chip Kelly offense averaged only 65.4 last year.

Rather than overanalyze McCarthy's statement, I think he meant "Our goal is to have the ball on offense more than we did last year. My reasoning is that gives us more chances to score and leaves less chance for the opponent."

Now, feel free to analyze the attire he was wearing when giving the statement. Since it's the off season and there is no real news.

This news flash just in. ARod just completed an interview in Maine while on vacation. He said, and I quote,"Our goal is to win the Super Bowl." Wait. Where did that come from? What do you think he meant? Is it significant that he was not wearing a Packer t shirt when he said it? He was drinking a Lite beer. Does he think he's fat? News Flash- "ARod is trying to lose weight before the season. If he can't, they have no hope of Super Bowl title." (I should be a reporter...)

Off season stinks.

When I read McCarthy's statement you quoted, it just makes me think the defense needs to get better. If the defense could get the opposing offenses off the field quickly on a routine basis, the offense would have the ball more. Theoretically, anyway. McCarthy is an offensive guy though.
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 4:55:01 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Why in the hell would we want to speed things up when we have a smash mouth, old school, power running back? Man, i read some stupid shit in here once in a while. Now is the time to have a balanced offense and wear teams down, and most importantly have a rested defense.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 7/14/2014(UTC), Wade on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Offline StarrMax1  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 5:47:16 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

From another angle,

Packers offense has 5 possesions, run 15 plays each possesion, that's 75 plays.

That would be where the Smash-mouth football would come in.

Probably wouldn't happen that way, but seems The Packers are striving to be a balanced team.

A team that could put together a 15 play drive, allowing the D to be fresh, but at any time Aaron and co. could light it up for a quick score.

That is more likely to happen if the opponent starts to play the run.

I didn't read it as MIke wanting to run a Chip Kelly style of offense, but a no huddle does put the defense in a whole if they can't make their subsitutions.

Nothing stopping the Packers from running the ball out of the no huddle.
Wade on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:16:17 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Why in the hell would we want to speed things up when we have a smash mouth, old school, power running back? Man, i read some stupid shit in here once in a while. Now is the time to have a balanced offense and wear teams down, and most importantly have a rested defense.

The Packers have had a positive TOP on offense every year McCarthey has been our head coach.

An increase in TOP has no impact on winning %. As TOP goes up, winning percentage stays exactly the same.

It is much more important to focus on being efficient with the ball than it is to work on keeping the ball longer.

It doesn't help to hold onto the ball a long time if you don't score with it. It doesn't hurt to score quickly.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
DoddPower on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 7:57:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
This is only a good idea IF your defense is any good.

The benefit to running 75 plays is the speed at which you're running them will stop the opposing defense from making substitutions. You'll force them to use all their time outs or put them in a situation where what D they started with on 1st down is the one they'll have to play on 2nd and 3rd. I didn't read the article yet but I have to believe ths is why you would do such a thing.

I'm very surprised to read this is how we're approaching offense. Should make drafting Packers for fantasy football even easier.

You can prevent the other team from substituting by going no-huddle. That doesn't mean you have to snap the ball right away.

And as a matter of fact, a little tempo might help do away with these goddam lulls we keep experiencing week after week.
DoddPower on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed