Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Out with the old. In with the new. It’s a harsh reality in several walks of life. Perhaps nowhere is it more evident than the National Football League.

JSOnline  wrote:

nerdmann
9 years ago

"Ultimately, defense goes back to attitude, desire and pursuit," nose tackle B.J. Raji said.

Then there's this:

If the Packers are to take a jump against the run, Raji figures to be instrumental. Drafted as a run-stuffing nose tackle back in 2009, he filled that roll with aplomb early in his career.

So, BJ was drafted as a run stuffer!?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
Short anser, yes. With the switch to a 3-4, a big guy to anchor the middle was needed and he was the highest rated for that role from his days at BC. I think he was expected to push the pocket up the middle as well, as he was that highly touted, but the basic role for which he was drafted was to absorb blockers and stuff the run, as with any NT.

Overall, the number of times we've had guys playing out of position because of injuries or ineffectiveness has hurt the performances of others around them, and it's made the whole defense appear as if it's trying to avoid a mistake instead of aggressively punishing people.

Now that I think we've covered any glaring needs on that side of the ball, a season of reasonable health should make this one of the better defenses in the league. (I am thinking rating 10-15).

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
DakotaT
9 years ago

Short anser, yes. With the switch to a 3-4, a big guy to anchor the middle was needed and he was the highest rated for that role from his days at BC. I think he was expected to push the pocket up the middle as well, as he was that highly touted, but the basic role for which he was drafted was to absorb blockers and stuff the run, as with any NT.

Overall, the number of times we've had guys playing out of position because of injuries or ineffectiveness has hurt the performances of others around them, and it's made the whole defense appear as if it's trying to avoid a mistake instead of aggressively punishing people.

Now that I think we've covered any glaring needs on that side of the ball, a season of reasonable health should make this one of the better defenses in the league. (I am thinking rating 10-15).

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

If you are correct, that should be enough to win the Super Bowl, given our high powered offense and good kicking game.

UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

So, BJ was drafted as a run stuffer!?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

After thinking it over, I think the answer is yes... I believe Raji was drafted as an explosive NT that would be hard for OL to keep up with like he was in college.

That being said, I don't believe Raji was drafted as a run clogger to clog the OL, which they've been asked to do the last two years switching to the more traditional (conservative) 3-4 system, where I do believe Pickett was the better fit for NT in that system (and don't think Raji's style of play fit in it at any position other than 2-4 nickel rush DT).

That being said, I believe Boston College ran both the 3-4 and 4-3 system while Raji was in college, and Raji would play an aggressive 3-4 DE (like Cullen Jenkins did (different styles)) and Ron Brace (who plays a lot like Pickett did (but Pickett was much better/longer) played the NT role. And I think Raji played 3-4 DE some his first year... and the basically aftermath of that was... his arms/length isn't long enough to pass rush from out there and handle being further out and having to deal with the talent/size/length of NFL OTs.

So it's possible the Packers thought Raji might be able to play at 3-4 DE as well before his rookie year... but the general thinking is he was drafted to play NT (because he's NT size).

"Ultimately, defense goes back to attitude, desire and pursuit," nose tackle B.J. Raji said.

Watching Raji the last couple of years... I think Raji has very limited desire/attitude to run clog... so it might be very good that the Packers are rumored to be switching systems and getting away from the system with so much run clogging... of course he's going to be asked to play NT, which normally the position that gets asked to do it the most, so he could still be asked to do it (maybe).

And of course, Raji has a down year before they even switched to the run clogging system... after the Super Bowl year he didn't seem the same either... but they maybe could of had something to do with losing Nick Collins and Cullen Jenkins, as well as Tramon Williams and Woodson not being the same as the year before... Williams had that shoulder injury which he wasn't the same for a couple year... and Woodson seemed to lose a step that season.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
Raji's always been more of a penetrator, imo.

Oh yeah, that article also had a quote about how Datone is a "prototype" 3-4 DE, because he's 285 lbs. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 years ago

I COMPLETELY agree with that... but that being said penetrators can be run stuffers as well, as they penetrator to the run and make the tackle. Which is why I sort of debated the phasing ... because when I first read, "run stuffer" when talking about the NT, I thought run clogger, and Raji is no run clogger.

He's CLEARLY a penetrator... but you can still be a run stuffer and penetrator. So it's not technically wrong... but did seem wrong when I first read it, which is why I think you also questioned it in the first place.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

I COMPLETELY agree with that... but that being said penetrators can be run stuffers as well, as they penetrator to the run and make the tackle. Which is why I sort of debated the phasing ... because when I first read, "run stuffer" when talking about the NT, I thought run clogger, and Raji is no run clogger.

He's CLEARLY a penetrator... but you can still be a run stuffer and penetrator. So it's not technically wrong... but did seem wrong when I first read it, which is why I think you also questioned it in the first place.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah, JJ Watt is a good example of this. He's always attacking but he stops runs just as much as he gets after QBs because of it.
steveishere
9 years ago

Oh yeah, that article also had a quote about how Datone is a "prototype" 3-4 DE, because he's 285 lbs. lol

You left out the most important half of the quote which was the part that he's 6'4". The weight isn't as important as the length to be a "prototype". It's so funny to you yet look at the top players at that position like JJ Watt, Calais Campbell, Cameron Jordan, Justin Smith. They are all longer and lighter players like Datone.

I don't think Datone was even 285 last year though he looked leaner as the year went on and was probably more like 270 ish which if you aren't monster strong like Justin Smith is probably too light. If he's 285-290 and can keep that weight over the season he'll be fine.
nerdmann
9 years ago

You left out the most important half of the quote which was the part that he's 6'4". The weight isn't as important as the length to be a "prototype". It's so funny to you yet look at the top players at that position like JJ Watt, Calais Campbell, Cameron Jordan, Justin Smith. They are all longer and lighter players like Datone.

I don't think Datone was even 285 last year though he looked leaner as the year went on and was probably more like 270 ish which if you aren't monster strong like Justin Smith is probably too light. If he's 285-290 and can keep that weight over the season he'll be fine.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I'd like to see him at least 290. If he can get it done like like one of the top for people at his position in the league, then that's great. He has yet to prove that. I would think it would help him to add a little.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (20h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (20h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.