uffda udfa
9 years ago
Who knows, nerd? All I know is there were at least 4 guys drafted AFTER he was that I'd rather have.

When you draft #5 in Round 1 you sure hope you get a lot better player than AJ Hawk. Sadly, we did not.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
9 years ago

I honestly think if Thompson drafted a player that completely busted he would be getting less grief for it than Hawk... for some reason people love complaining about Hawk... who I honestly think was partly messed up by the read and react 4-3 defense they had when he first got here and he kept getting worse after coming from a more aggressive college defense.

Hawk was deemed as the safest pick in the draft... and that seems to be true as he's been extremely solid his whole career. Though he hasn't had the best upside... though I still think he was messed up a bit by conservative defense the Packers had early in his career.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
Really, what we should complain about with Hawk and Brad Jones is their contracts. They are way overpaid for the quality of linebacker each is. I'm not sure why Uncle Ted gives these guys the kind of coin they receive, but it is not warranted. All you need to do is compare Hawk/Jones to Bowman/Willis and it is pretty easy to see why the middle of our defense is a sieve.

Hopefully we are a little more stoudt on the D-line this season so those guys can be protected more, but our poor to average inside linebacker play is where opposing offensive coordinators attack.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Who knows, nerd? All I know is there were at least 4 guys drafted AFTER he was that I'd rather have.

When you draft #5 in Round 1 you sure hope you get a lot better player than AJ Hawk. Sadly, we did not.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

On the other hand, sometimes you get much worse. I know, I know, there I go again with the "he's OK and that's OK" argument when I really should be bitching and complaining that Ted didn't knock one out of the park with the #5 pick that year. What we really should have done is traded that pick and the following years pick for a player like Jimmy Graham. When you make the pick that 95% of the people in the world think you should pick its not like he reached and took somebody who fell flat on his face. The player might not turn out to be what you hoped but the choice to take him, at the time, was still sound

As much as a disaster Tony Mandarich was you really don't hear Tom Braatz taking too much crap for picking Mandarich in 89 as Mandarich was pretty much the consensus pick there even over Barry he just flopped. Yeah you hear how the pick was a bust but you don't see get much blame thrown at the GM for making it. Its the same with Hawk. Yeah the pick didn't turn out to be a stud like you would hope (like you hope with every pick) but when you take that guy that most people think you should take how can it really be a bad pick?

You say it was a no brainer for Ted to pick Rodgers (or at least some people say that maybe not you) but there was probably far less consensus there than with Hawk. If the Rodgers pick was a no brainer then the Hawk pick was even more so.

IMO after the 4th or 5th season it really doesn't matter what round a guy was drafted in. After 5 years in the league would you take Ryan Leaf or Tom Brady? You have what you have, A superstar, a star, a contributor or a dud. It doesn't matter if you got them in the first round or as an UDFA the important factor is that you got him. Its like the 12 year vets announcing what college they went to in game intros. Who the hell cares, you probably didn't get a degree anyway and from the way it sounds many of them can't even read or write.
steveishere
9 years ago

You hope you do but it matters how good the rest of the players you had to choose from are if you are going to use hindsight to judge it. There were better players than Hawk available sure but not that many and they weren't that much better. I'm fine with getting Hawk in that draft but for example if we had drafted top 5 in 2011 and gotten someone of Hawks calibre it wouldn't be quite as fine because that draft was completely loaded at the top with elite talent.

Just saying top 5 pick must be elite or bust is way to simple of a judgement to make for something as complex as the draft.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

About even with Mario Williams? Mario has averaged nearly 10 sacks a season for 8 years. He had one season he appeared in only 5 games which keeps his average slightly below 10/season. Last year he had 13 sacks. I can't see how a guy who impacts games the way Mario Williams does could ever be compared to a steady eddie like AJ Hawk? The comparison of being "even" is way off to me. They're not even in the same strata. Hawk goes 2.5 seasons with ZERO splash plays but "at least he's on the field" is the battle cry for him? I admire durability but it fits nowhere with the much preferred productivity. If you could choose, right now... Hawk or Williams are you telling me you'd just keep AJ? Gimme Mario, yesterday.

I consider Nick Perry to be a major disappointment due to health. Casey Hayward I consider a budding young star who had an excellent 1st season and a lost 2nd. Perry has shown some exciting things but I question that guys heart. I don't see the passion for the game out of him.

Obviously, you've gotten past the idea he's a 5th overall and way overpaid. I haven't on either front.

Hawk is a middling steady player. Nothing spectacular or worthy of getting excited about. There's definitely a lot better out there. Why we haven't found it or tried very hard is beyond me. He's a ZERO time probowl starter... Mario has 3 starts.

I love this quote from Hawk from JSOnline.com:

Yes, he absolutely wishes he could make more big plays.

"I'd love to," he says. "I'd love to get more picks, force more fumbles and get more sacks. I'm constantly trying. I don't really have an answer, I guess."

---At least he's not making excuses for not being good enough. I admire that as much as his durability.

Mario Williams has made Zero plays for the Texans in over 2 years. Texans got 4 very good years of production from him. That's it. Then he got hurt and moved on. The fact that he resurrected his career after leaving the team that drafted him does not make him a better pick for them.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.