Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beast  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:25:23 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 321

JSOnline wrote:
Coach Mike McCarthy has never had a group that could be called great under James Campen, the unit’s longtime position coach. Will this be the year?

I thought this article on the OL was better than most, trying to compare the OLs some since 2000.

If the Packers OL can stay healthy, and improve a little bit, this could be the best OL that Packers have seen recently (which would be 2011 according to this article (which would be the last time Bulaga stayed healthy)) which would make sense, since the Packers lost Scott Wells and Bulaga hasn't played 10 games in a season since then...

Message modified by user Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:37:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:41:09 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

I want to see more consistency from the center position. I want a guy that can handle Justin Smith over the course of a game. One of these young guys must step up and deliver.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline yooperfan  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:02:18 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I thought this article on the OL was better than most, trying to compare the OLs some since 2000.

If the Packers OL can stay healthy, and improve a little bit, this could be the best OL that Packers have seen recently (which would be 2011 according to this article (which would be the last time Bulaga stayed healthy)) which would make sense, since the Packers lost Scott Wells and Bulaga hasn't played 10 games in a season since then...

Unfortunately there is that little issue of not having a center that has snapped a ball in an NFL game.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:24:29 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately there is that little issue of not having a center that has snapped a ball in an NFL game.

Yeah I don't think going into the season with a green rookie at the most important O-line position is a good thing. Let's hope Tretter doesn't shit himself. I do like having an Ivy League kid there though, hopefully he can be as good as Matt Birk (fingers crossed).
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:28:17 AM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I want to see more consistency from the center position. I want a guy that can handle Justin Smith over the course of a game. One of these young guys must step up and deliver.

I'm not sure if you're putting those together or not, and I could be wrong about this but I thought Justin Smith normally worked against OGs and OTs more so than Centers.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post

I don't know why, but I'm extremely calm about the Center position since the draft... I think it's because the coaches seem fully confident in Tretter (that or maybe just because I haven't seen him play yet and not worried for some reason).

And at least we haven't heard Rodgers bring up butt heights or sweaty butts with Tretter (yet) ... can't say the same about the former Center.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I don't think going into the season with a green rookie at the most important O-line position is a good thing. Let's hope Tretter doesn't shit himself. I do like having an Ivy League kid there though, hopefully he can be as good as Matt Birk (fingers crossed).

We're going into the season with a green rookie at LT again? ... but seriously isn't LT the most important O-line position? I'm hoping the OTs stay healthy...

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 12:35:43 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Agreed about the C position.

Last year the staff was confident in the backup QB depth. lol I'm also interested in how LT pans out. Can Bakhtiari pick up where he left off?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline yooperfan  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:26:07 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

Last year the staff was confident in the backup QB depth. lol I'm also interested in how LT pans out. Can Bakhtiari pick up where he left off?

LT will be interesting.
If Bakhtiari gets a case of the sophomore slump hopefully Sherrod can step in.
I had pretty much written him off but now I'm pulling for him to give the Pack something.

Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:26:19 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post

We're going into the season with a green rookie at LT again? ... but seriously isn't LT the most important O-line position? I'm hoping the OTs stay healthy...

Which guy calls out all the audibles and adjustments to the blocking schemes?
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:40:15 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Which guy calls out all the audibles and adjustments to the blocking schemes?

Aaron Rodgers...? ... I know you're suggesting that the Center makes the audibles and adjustments and I know Scott Wells did, Jeff Saturday probably did... but I don't remember hearing that Evan Dietrich-Smith made the adjustments or audibles... more than Aaron Rodgers could make any and all adjustments.

Also I think I remember reading an articles about Josh Sitton having to step up and be more involved in the leadership after Wells left and about Sitton being the leader of the OL... though I don't remember about audibles or adjustment in that either.

So honestly I don't know... but Rodgers might do it when he's going adjustments/audibles as Mike McCarthy said Rodgers has full control of the offense. And I still think LT could make a strong case for most important OL position... which is why on average across the NFL, they usually get paid the most. And I assume teams normally pay the position they think is most important, the most money.

Edit: It's be very interesting to know if the new center would be making the judgments and setting the adjustments and audibles or someone else is. My guess is someone with more time in the NFL, but I don't know who they had doing it.

Message modified by user Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:38:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline musccy  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 10:54:48 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

You beat me to the punch on this one. Fans were worried about Seneca and company last year, but the perceived calm in the offices at 1265 was supposed to comfort the masses. Calm doesn't mean there isn't a storm looming.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:38:33 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

All I can say is ...

Duh! Duh! Bang Head Bang Head Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing WTF?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rss Feed