Poll Question: Suspension thoughts

Total: 13

Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago
I don't give a crap about Goodell or what he was influinced by. He isn't a judge and Rice isn't getting sentanced. That isn't the NFLs job.

Rice is a first time offender and broke the conduct clause, that is all the NFL has a responsibilty to address. Repeated breaches will get a larger penalty. So getting caught smoking weed for a 4th time and getting a year is not a punishment to fit the crime of smoking weed. It is a punishment for repeatedly breaking the conduct policy.

Vick was punished by the law. He wasn't suspended until after the conviction and he was reinstated after his release from prison. So he really served no suspension at all, other than the time he was incarcerated anyway.

If Rice isn't convicted of anything and doesn't serve a sentance, should he be suspended at all?

I think yes. Because he still breached the conduct clause.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I don't give a crap about Goodell or what he was influinced by. He isn't a judge and Rice isn't getting sentanced. That isn't the NFLs job.

Rice is a first time offender and broke the conduct clause, that is all the NFL has a responsibilty to address. Repeated breaches will get a larger penalty. So getting caught smoking weed for a 4th time and getting a year is not a punishment to fit the crime of smoking weed. It is a punishment for repeatedly breaking the conduct policy.

Vick was punished by the law. He wasn't suspended until after the conviction and he was reinstated after his release from prison. So he really served no suspension at all, other than the time he was incarcerated anyway.

If Rice isn't convicted of anything and doesn't serve a sentance, should he be suspended at all?

I think yes. Because he still breached the conduct clause.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Goodell is the defacto judge in the system set up under the PCP. The NFL may not be a court but for the purposes of the PCP, Goodell is the Judge Wapner over it...and he was influenced by "testimony" of Rice's wife and rendered a "sentence" just like a real judge.

I understand the idea of repeat offenders and that's a good point, however, a pattern of smoking weed still pales in comparison to domestic violence. What if had been the Ray Lewis situation...he is for all intents and purposes an OJ styled murderer and kills his wife but gets off in a court of law. Should that first time offense be met with a light sentence.

The NFL really needs to lay out what their policy is, and perhaps they do , and we just don't know it. I think a first time offender for domestic violence trumps the habitual weed doctor, but that's just me. I'm disappointed the NFL didn't come down more severely. Roethlisberger is someone to compare... what was he convicted of? If memory serves...nothing. Did he get suspended? Yes. So, not convicted in a court of law but punished by the league for a first offense of NOT being convicted...hence, not guilty of anything other than perception of guilt? Those two situations don't square...I think both are equally deplorable.

In the end, 2 games for physical abuse is not enough.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I see a great opportunity here. The NFL has dropped the ball, most everyone can agree or make that argument partially.

I think if Ray Rice were to donate 4 of his paychecks to various domestic abuse establishments, I think he could save face and begin on the road of redemption.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Goodell is the defacto judge in the system set up under the PCP. The NFL may not be a court but for the purposes of the PCP, Goodell is the Judge Wapner over it...and he was influenced by "testimony" of Rice's wife and rendered a "sentence" just like a real judge.

I understand the idea of repeat offenders and that's a good point, however, a pattern of smoking weed still pales in comparison to domestic violence. What if had been the Ray Lewis situation...he is for all intents and purposes an OJ styled murderer and kills his wife but gets off in a court of law. Should that first time offense be met with a light sentence.

The NFL really needs to lay out what their policy is, and perhaps they do , and we just don't know it. I think a first time offender for domestic violence trumps the habitual weed doctor, but that's just me. I'm disappointed the NFL didn't come down more severely. Roethlisberger is someone to compare... what was he convicted of? If memory serves...nothing. Did he get suspended? Yes. So, not convicted in a court of law but punished by the league for a first offense of NOT being convicted...hence, not guilty of anything other than perception of guilt? Those two situations don't square...I think both are equally deplorable.

In the end, 2 games for physical abuse is not enough.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Judge Wapner???? showing your age there a bit aren't you uffda?[grin1] these young whippersnappers today might be more familiar with Judge Judy.

I'm with you though, Judge Wapner laid the groundwork for all these other wannabees to capitalize on.

As far as the penalty, I think there is still a big distinction in some peoples minds between on the field issues and off the field issues. Domestic abuse is an off the field issue and some people don't think the league has any business meddling in it. Its a criminal matter and especially in cases where no criminal charges are filed some people feel it is absurd for the league to discipline players.

Issues with weed and alcohol are also off the field problems but they come under the umbrella of banned substances and whenever people hear the phrase "banned substance" they can't help but think of PEDs which is is an on the field issue in that it directly affects the game. People see it as cheating and cheating is not tolerated (unless your team is the one doing the cheating of course, then it is not really cheating.) That's why I think there may be tendency to treat these issues more severely.

Not that I like comparing athletes to everyday workaday people but in a way it just helps to point out the differences but very few of us would be fired from our jobs or disciplined if we were brought up on domestic abuse charges.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, just tying to provide a different take on it.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
The bottom line is the league has an image to uphold. It doesn't matter if he is never charged off the field this is a damage to the marketability of the league to have a star player punch up a woman. The penalty is ridiculous and I am ashamed that the league is treating this issue with much less punishment than it deserves. I am a fan of Ray Rice. I hope this was a moment of weakness on his part and that he seeks help for anger issues. I would also like to see a donation to a woman's shelter without the pressure from an agent or the league to do so as a PR stunt.
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

I see a great opportunity here. The NFL has dropped the ball, most everyone can agree or make that argument partially.

I think if Ray Rice were to donate 4 of his paychecks to various domestic abuse establishments, I think he could save face and begin on the road of redemption.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It isn't the NFLs job to punish him. They are not a criminal court.

Here is the question, what if the charges are dropped and the case is dismissed?

Aren't the courts more in a position to make a statement than the league? Time off of work vs time in a prison.

The league is not supposed to provide justice. We are supposed to have a criminal justice system for that.

Football is a game.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

It isn't the NFLs job to punish him. They are not a criminal court.

Here is the question, what if the charges are dropped and the case is dismissed?

Aren't the courts more in a position to make a statement than the league? Time off of work vs time in a prison.

The league is not supposed to provide justice. We are supposed to have a criminal justice system for that.

Football is a game.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Ask Erik Walden.

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Ask Erik Walden.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly my point.

He was not charged and was still suspended. For having an off field incident.

The courts are suppose to supply justice, the NFL can fine or suspend players for breaching the conduct clause. Those are completely different.

It isn't for what he did, it is for getting in trouble.

Rice will probably get therapy and avoid the conviction. The charges will probably be suspended pending completion and staying out of trouble for a certain amount of time. If he does that, the charges will be removed from his record.

So how long of a suspension do you think would be fair for an indecent in which the charges are dropped? Roethlisberger got 4 games for repeated sexual assault allegations. Should Rice get more?
DakotaT
9 years ago
All I want to know is what she did/said to set him off? Anybody who says their wife has not brought him to the edge of knocking her out is a lying sack of bovine fecal matter. Most men have enough control to not knock their wife unconscious, but obviously not Ray.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I typed a reply last night that didn't post for some reason...

What about Ben Roethlisberger? Was he ever convicted of anything? No. Was he suspended? Yes. I agree that is a slippery slope of punishing them at their jobs when legally they've done nothing wrong. I know I wouldn't like it if I was charged with something and not convicted but got punished at work anyway.

In this particular instance...this is not a he said she said like a Big Ben deal (even though there were witnesses)... We all saw the video...clearly, he's seen doing something illegal that he should not have done. That's enough for me for the NFL to render a severe penalty.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.